Route idea from Alvechurch for new boaters please!

Stevev

Featured Posts

Ah ok that sounds a good bet thanks...and from Hopwood if we decided to go the Birmingham route round...with a whole day ahead of us should we be able to get right through and out the other side?

Am I correct in thinking go through the Netherton tunnel in Birmingham since don't want to head up to Wolverhampton?

Canal planner seems to think from Hopwood to just through the Netherton tunnel would take 7 hours?

That would place us at Windmill End it seems? Good place to stop do you think?

The Netherton Tunnel route is a bit quicker than going via Wolverhampton, but it does mean that you miss one of the best and most interesting features on the Staffs and Worcs, the locks at The Bratch. If you went the Wolverhapton way (and maybe even if you didn't) the moorings at the Black Country Museum are a good option.

You could do with trying to plan the whole trip. You could try CanalPlanAC although we find we do lock flights much quicker than it predicts, or get the Pearson's Guide. I find the timings given for each page are pretty accurate.

Lots of brilliant advice thanks to help me choose best route.

The wife has even suggested going clockwise from Alvechurch and mooring up just short of Tardebigge locks on day 1 and going through Birmingham on the last full day. Not sure whether it's easier going up the Severn or down is the only difference I can see in that?...Plus of course doing 30 locks in the first full day!!

One of our first ever trips was on a hire boat from Alvechurch. We were two adults and four children, two of whom could help with locks. We did the Avon Ring in a week, anti-clockwise. We like doing full days and although the first day was tough going (all the Tardebigge locks)as was the last, we had a brilliant time. Even moored up in Stratford for two nights, so we could have gone at a more leisurely pace and still made it back within the week.

Good luck!

• Greenie 1

Lots of brilliant advice thanks to help me choose best route.

The wife has even suggested going clockwise from Alvechurch and mooring up just short of Tardebigge locks on day 1 and going through Birmingham on the last full day. Not sure whether it's easier going up the Severn or down is the only difference I can see in that?...Plus of course doing 30 locks in the first full day!!

If there's not much flow on the Severn, then it doesn't really make much difference. If there's some flow, it'll take you a bit longer going upstream. If there's lots of flow, you probably won't be going on the river at all.

You can reduce the amount of river by going down to Droitwich rather than Worcester, and this route would also take you on a bit of recently opened canal.

If you start out towards Tardebigge, there are good moorings below the top lock. When you set off the next morning, you'll probably find the locks against you as they tend to leak empty overnight. But it probably won't be long before you start meeting people coming up.

Two of us found the stourport ring a doddle to do in a week and finished with half a day to spare.

Although it was our second time on a boat.

But we did go via the netherton tunnel rather than wolverhampton

Interesting thanks..

The plan is to stop at Hopwood for the 1st night.

Head off through the Wast Hill Tunnel the next morning and hopefully get through the Netherton Tunnel by the end of the day and on from there.

Can I ask, where is a 'nice' place to stop through the Netherton?

Windmill End looks quite nice but someone said maybe best to try and go further up towards Primrose/Waterfront I think?

It'll be Sunday and ideally we'd like to find a decent pub for a Sunday roast when we stop.

Don't fancy stopping at Merry Hill since it could be a bit noisy in the evening I'm told.

So basically somewhere between Netherton tunnel South exit up to the Delph locks for an overnight and pub?

If it were me I would get to Merry Hill, don't think I would stop overnight at Windmill End. The bit that is noisy is mainly the Waterfront part, if you go past that you can stop on the embankment overlooking the shopping centre, that should be quieter. See Here

Edited by john6767

We have stopped at Windmill end a couple of times, but it has been busy with boats, and had no problems. But I would be cautious of a warm Saturday night as the local yoofs will out enjoying the sun.

I really would recommend the 3-4 hours into the center on Brum to the NIA, it is actually pretty quite, but do try to get off from Alvechurch ASAP. The run from the NIA though Netherton to the embankment above Merry Hill is a pleasant run taking about 4 hours and you can eve take in a bit of retail therapy before tea.

We have stopped at Windmill end a couple of times, but it has been busy with boats, and had no problems. But I would be cautious of a warm Saturday night as the local yoofs will out enjoying the sun.

I really would recommend the 3-4 hours into the center on Brum to the NIA, it is actually pretty quite, but do try to get off from Alvechurch ASAP. The run from the NIA though Netherton to the embankment above Merry Hill is a pleasant run taking about 4 hours and you can eve take in a bit of retail therapy before tea.

Thanks Steve...by the way, the photos on your website of your canal boat being built are fascinating!

The Droitwich bit is new, and well worth doing. We went that way last year

Richard

Is there any advantage of going one way rather than the other?

How long does it take?

Are there overnight moorings?

Are there daytime moorings?

Thanks in advance

Edited by dekker

How long does it take?

Thanks in advance

From what I've heard here and read...depends on whether you fancy the Tardebigge locks at the beginning or end of your holiday and sometimes it's easier going with the flow (anti clockwise) on the Severn.

Most people seem to be saying it's done relatively easily in a week which is what we'll be doing in the anti-clockwise route in June half term!

Sorry, I've only just seen the stuff about Windmill End. We moored up there overnight as a single boat and it was fine. There is a good fish and chip shop in Derby End, the pub opposite is not good though. Apparently there is another pub nearer the moorings which is good - we didn't find it

Richard

From what I've heard here and read...depends on whether you fancy the Tardebigge locks at the beginning or end of your holiday and sometimes it's easier going with the flow (anti clockwise) on the Severn.

Most people seem to be saying it's done relatively easily in a week which is what we'll be doing in the anti-clockwise route in June half term!

Sorry Stevev this post was directed to Richard or anyone else regarding the Droitwich only...not the ring...hopefully Richard or other will post a reply

How long does it take?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone help with my questions please?

I am referring to cruising the Droitwich from one end to the other

Hi Dekker

To answer your questions on the Droitwich, moor at the beginning, on the Worcester-Birmingham, (24 hrs) moor at Droitwich at the visitors marina/pontoons (48 Hrs) just past the town if going towards the Severn.

That's it really as the rest of the canal is narrow, one boat width between the reeds.

The only possibility to moor is at the two previous mentioned points unless you want to try your luck at the shallow sides and in the reeds.

Can anyone help with my questions please?

I am referring to cruising the Droitwich from one end to the other

There are daytime moorings in Vimes park, very handy for the supermarket. You will end up chatting with the natives about how lovely it is to see the boats back

I recall it takes about half a day to cruise the whole of the Droitwich, we have only gone down from the W&B

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Six hours, half a day, I'd say that was about right. Me, Sue and Tawny Owl started one lock above the Droitwich in the morning and moored up in Stourport in the evening

Richard