Route idea from Alvechurch for new boaters please!

Stevev

Featured Posts

Hello,

We have just secured a canal boat for a week in June half term from Alvechurch, we were mainly driven by availability at this late stage!

Crew members are 4 adults (aged 40 to 70) and a child (plus dog), 3 of the adults have never been on a canal before although used to go sail boating a lot in their youth! I used to go canal boating with my parents a lot but that's now about 30 years ago!!!

Looking at where Alvechurch is on the Worcester, as much as I'd love to attempt the Stourport ring, I'm thinking that'd be far too hard for those that'd have never been on the canals before for a first taster?

Possibly down to Stratford and back?

Essentially would love some ideas from the experienced canal boaters please?

Many thanks.....

Edited by Stevev

Both are done in a week actually the Stourport ring takes me nearly just as long from Alvechurch as just going down to Stratford and back.

Alvechurch quote 48 hours for the Stourport ring and 42 to Stratford and back so only one hour a day difference and those times that Alvechurch give are for inexperienced boaters. The locks on the Stratford as very slow!

Edited by Jim Evans

I'd have a week exploring the BCN..... :help:

Why devalue Stevev's post with a usless comment like that? If you wish to suggest a week on the BCN why not put some value in it with a few suggestions of routes and places to visit.

I and many other would also be interested in what you have to say about cruising the BCN for a holiday.

Have a look on www.canalplan.org.uk, click "plan a journey" on the left, then put in your start location, press the --> arrow to also make it your end location, specify the number of days and press "furthest place". It will show you a range of furthest places you can reach in an out-back trip, and cruising rings if possible in the time available.

For a newbie but one who has obviously done a bit of research, don't worry too much about factors such as number of locks. Within about 5-10 locks you'll get the hang on doing them efficiently, and you have enough crew to do them speedily too. Obviously factor a little bit of leeway in because its the school holidays. And don't plan too ambitious a route (or if you do, have a 'plan B' otherwise it might slightly taint the trip. But most of all - enjoy it!

• Greenie 1

Several possibilities:

ABC to Worcester, then up the Severn a liitle way so that you can do the Droitwich back tp the W & B and then back to ABC. Lots of locks but you get to use some "new" navigation.

ABC to Worcester, up the Severn to Stourport, up the Shroppie where you have a choice to take the Black Country route through Netherton Tunnel, or up the Wolverhampton 21, then through central Brum back to ABC. Lots of locks and a river.

ABC to the Stratford Canal, down to Stratford and return. Can get busy, but quite pretty.

Something different; ABC to Central Brum, along to the Black Country Museum, then back to Central Brum, onto the Grand Union to it's junction with the Stratford, up the Stratford to the W & B and back to ABC. Urban but very interesting and not one of the "usual" routes.

Edited by Graham Davis

Many thanks for the ideas folks...

Definitely need to factor the inevitable business of Half Term week with not wanting to exhaust the in-laws so much they don't want to ever go again...or at least I think I do!! :rolleyes:

Several possibilities:

ABC to Worcester, then up the Severn a little way so that you can do the Droitwich back tp the W & B and then back to ABC. Lots of locks but you get to use some "new" navigation.

ABC to Worcester, up the Severn to Stourport, up the Shroppie where you have a choice to take the Black Country route through Netherton Tunnel, or up the Wolverhampton 21, then through central Brum back to ABC. Lots of locks and a river.

ABC to the Stratford Canal, down to Stratford and return. Can get busy, but quite pretty.

Something different; ABC to Central Brum, along to the Black Country Museum, then back to Central Brum, onto the Grand Union to it's junction with the Stratford, up the Stratford to the W & B and back to ABC. Urban but very interesting and not one of the "usual" routes.

I was about to suggest option 4 - but it's already been done.

To my mind the other three are a baptism of fire. Tardebigge could put folks off for life. There's nowhere to stop if somebody finds it too much. That said with 4 crew it should be comfortable.

Expanding on option 4 -

That said there's a lot to see in Brum - newbies shouldn't just do canalling...Sites to see:-

Brindley Place (!)

the jewelry quarter including the pen museum and the jewelry museum - actually a fossilised silver workshop - fascinating.

Up the old mainline to the Black Country museum - moor for the night outside; a good mooring in it's own right. Stop on the way at Sainsbury's Walsall.

EITHER continue on towards Wolverhampton and cruise the Curly Wyrley, though I don't know why - not many locks, then up Garrison and Camp Hill, Knowle and along the North Stratford back to Alvechurch.

OR along the New mainline, turn left at the NIA, down Farmer's Bridge locks, turn right at the next junction to pick up Camp Hill and them proceed as above.

Not a huge amount of locks and has the scope to modify the route depending on what you want to do.

Surprisingly moorings in central Birmingham are very pleasant and quiet at night and there's a lot to do and see, much more than I've hinted at above.

I won't go on as you may have counter-arguments - unless you say "more please".

Many thanks for the ideas folks...

Definitely need to factor the inevitable business of Half Term week with not wanting to exhaust the in-laws so much they don't want to ever go again...or at least I think I do!! :rolleyes:

Sod's Law has it that while "one" is composing a reply, the OP comes back with a concluding message.

However, it reinforces the last suggestions above. Depending on the child's age - if too young might not like too much walking, but all three museums can be fascinating - a view of how preceding generations did things. There's a funfair at BCM - and none of them are a trail around dust cabinets; all of them have demonstrations and guded features.

I wouldn't rule out the Stourport Ring, it's a route lots of hirers do in a week. Although it has lots of locks, many of them are grouped together in flights. And with four adults in the crew, you've got enough people to always be sending someone ahead to get the next lock ready. Also the Staffs and Worcester Canal and the Worcester and Birmingham are both quite pretty.

The trip down to Stratford is pretty, but the locks are surprisingly hard work, very slow, and below Lapworth they all seem to be the wrong distance apart -- too far to walk ahead, but if you get back on the boat it's only a few minutes until you're getting off again.

I love the BCN and think more people should go exploring there. Whether it's ideal for first timers I'm not so sure. But of course with the Stourport ring you get to do a bit of it anyway.

Have a look on www.canalplan.org.uk, click "plan a journey" on the left, then put in your start location, press the --> arrow to also make it your end location, specify the number of days and press "furthest place". It will show you a range of furthest places you can reach in an out-back trip, and cruising rings if possible in the time available.

Thanks for that, it's a feature I didn't know about. Greeny!

One last question (possibly!) folks....if we do the Stourport Ring, might it be better to do it clockwise and therefore the Tardebigge locks near the end after the newbies are up to speed...or just get it done near the beginning and relax a bit after?

There's some talk about a new section of canal on this ring now open that cuts out all or some of the Severn or have I got that completely wrong?

Thanks again all, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Personally I'd go down Tardebigge, because I would expect most hirers to go the other way first!

The "new bit" is the Droitwich. Going down you will find it on the right at Hanbury Junction. It takes you back into the Severn above Worcester, near Bevere Lock.

One last question (possibly!) folks....if we do the Stourport Ring, might it be better to do it clockwise and therefore the Tardebigge locks near the end after the newbies are up to speed...or just get it done near the beginning and relax a bit after?

I know Graham said to go down first, but the ring was our very first hire trip many years ago and we followed the advice from ABC who recommended going the other way round. The trip into Brum takes about 4 hours and is lock free and then your second day is lock free in the morning regardless if you go the Wolverhampton (longer way round) or Dudley route.

I would go down the Severn to Worcester rather than up the new Droitwich. There are more places to stop (i.e. pubs :cheers: ) that way. But the Droitwich does now give you a short cut if you are running late (too much shopping, drinking or slow travel ;) ).

We moor on the South Stratford and agree wholeheartedly about the locks being heavy and slow. :( The trip into Stratford is good if you can spend a couple of days there, but you will have to go to Stratford, turn around and come back the same way. That is why rings are popular for hire trips. :)

Regardless of what you chose, I am sure that you will enjoy the experience, we were hooked and have had our own boat for many years now :)

Steve

If we decide to go anti clockwise from Alvechurch towards Brum, is there a good safe & quietish place to stop before Birmingham for that 1st night?

I'm thinking with the dog we'll need some grass and dog walking paths and the in-laws won't want to stop the night in Birmingham itself....

I presume if we leave Alvechurch around 4pm allowing for pickup and handover...couple of hours towards Brum will be fine?

I'm trying to find some sort of route finder that maybe recommends stops and distances you want to get to ensure we remain on track for getting round ideally.....maybe I'm worrying about this too much?

I keep seeing websites recommending a straight 'up and down' for a first trip which is making me think I should revert to the Stratford idea again but I agree it could be heaving over half term and very slow going!

If we decide to go anti clockwise from Alvechurch towards Brum, is there a good safe & quietish place to stop before Birmingham for that 1st night?

I'm thinking with the dog we'll need some grass and dog walking paths and the in-laws won't want to stop the night in Birmingham itself....

I presume if we leave Alvechurch around 4pm allowing for pickup and handover...couple of hours towards Brum will be fine?

I'm trying to find some sort of route finder that maybe recommends stops and distances you want to get to ensure we remain on track for getting round ideally.....maybe I'm worrying about this too much?

I keep seeing websites recommending a straight 'up and down' for a first trip which is making me think I should revert to the Stratford idea again but I agree it could be heaving over half term and very slow going!

There are secure moorings (behind a fence and a gate locked with a BW key) at Bourneville, opposite Cadbury World, which are about half way. However, central Birmingham has excellent moorings -- anywhere near the National Indoor Arena is best.

For planning, have a look at CanalPlanAC which will be able to give you an idea about how long things take (although sometimes what it calls the overnight stops aren't actually that sensible). I'd suggest also getting hold of a guide book. I'd suggest the Pearson's guide would probably be best for you. Each page tells you how long it should take, and I find the timings pretty accurate. Here is the Stourport Ring book, for example.

Also, I'd try to get away as early as you can. In our hiring days we always managed to get away before the specified time. Of course it depends how busy the yard is, but we found that 'accidentally' turning up a bit early meant we could set off in good time.

Hi

We picked up our canaltime boat from Alvechurch in 2010 for a week.

There were 4 of us, and we had done the Warwick ring the year before, so the kids wanted a more leisurely route. We opted to head to Stratford, not to many locks. It really is a lovely place, you moor up in the marina right in the heart of the city opposite the theatre and next to the river.Loads to see and do. We arrived mid afternoon on day 2, and spent 2 nights there. Then a leisurely journey back, actually arrived back at Alvechurch day 6 early evening. We took our car and went for a meal at a fantastic pub right in the centre of Alvechurch, food was great.

It really does depend on how energetic you want it to be.

Debbie x

Thanks Debbie...

Day 2 mid afternoon in Stratford...? Is it really that quick or were you going like the clappers?

We're still undecided whether to do the Stourport Ring, I don't really want to moor up for the night in Birmingham with dog and in-laws who like it nice and quiet usually!

My problem there is that if we head off to Birmingham first we'd have to moor up short of it after only about an hour looking where Alvechurch is to avoid staying in the City?

Or go clockwise and moor up just before the Tardebigge section?

Can you get through Birmingham end to end in a day reasonably easily do you know?

A couple of comments from me.

Alvechurch to Stratford by mid afternoon on day two is going some, and I don't think I would describe it as "not many locks". It is 31.5 miles and 55 locks (each way), so something like 17 hours travel time each way. Given you often don't get off until mid afternoon on day one, to me that is probably using every bit of the daylight hours to get there 24 hours later. Sounds more like a BCN Challenge schedule to me than a holiday, but each to their own! Going that route much better to take an extra day, say top of Lapworth day one, Wotton Wawen day two, then Stratford day 3, you still do it there and back in a week.

As you have spotted if you want to moor short of Birmingham from Alevchurch, you will not be going that far on day one. From there to presumably out past Stourbridge will be a long day.

Edited by john6767

Thanks John...

Realistically, if we set off from Alvechurch around 4pm, how far down the Stratford might we be able to get for that 1st night's mooring? That's presuming 2 to 2.5 hours travelling on the first afternoon will get us that far?

Edited by Stevev

It'll take maybe 2 hours to the Kings Norton junction with the Stratford. The first few miles of the Stratford are a bit urban in character, so maybe another 2-3 hours cruising before you're going to find pleasant rural moorings. Perfectly do-able for an afternoon start but 4pm is pushing it a bit.

In my opinion it might be better to stop afer an hour or so at Hopwood. There are lots of moorings and a good pub. You could get settled in comfortably and make an early start the next day.

If you decide on the run into Brum then be aware that the offside visitor moorings at Bournville are very limited (2-3 boats) and are often full by late afternoon. Towpath side moorings are available but both sides are close to a busy commuter rail line. Again, an early stop at Hopwood is a worthwhile option.

Ah ok that sounds a good bet thanks...and from Hopwood if we decided to go the Birmingham route round...with a whole day ahead of us should we be able to get right through and out the other side?

Am I correct in thinking go through the Netherton tunnel in Birmingham since don't want to head up to Wolverhampton?

Canal planner seems to think from Hopwood to just through the Netherton tunnel would take 7 hours?

That would place us at Windmill End it seems? Good place to stop do you think?

Ah ok that sounds a good bet thanks...and from Hopwood if we decided to go the Birmingham route round...with a whole day ahead of us should we be able to get right through and out the other side?

Am I correct in thinking go through the Netherton tunnel in Birmingham since don't want to head up to Wolverhampton?

Canal planner seems to think from Hopwood to just through the Netherton tunnel would take 7 hours?

That would place us at Windmill End it seems? Good place to stop do you think?

Windmill End is in a nature reserve and the immediate surroundings are very pleasant. Not sure how 'safe' it is though. I think I'd be inclined to carry on another two hours or so to Merry Hill. The moorings here can be a little rowdy in the evenings but the online moorings just past the basin and above the shopping centre are quiet and pleasant. A long day but easy cruising with only 1 lock (and 2 long tunnels).

Thanks John...

Realistically, if we set off from Alvechurch around 4pm, how far down the Stratford might we be able to get for that 1st night's mooring? That's presuming 2 to 2.5 hours travelling on the first afternoon will get us that far?

If you head towards Stratford, and you want to get out of the built up area before stopping, then I would suggest Dickens Heath, that is about 4 hours from Alevchurch. Try to get off before 4pm, unless you want to just move up the W&B a bit for the night.