Is size a problem?

Squeezy

Featured Posts

Hello to all from the newbie. We are buying a new boat next week and plan to move her from near Ricky to Lichfield in Staffs as soon as. Now, she's a Thames Launch Works river class and is reportedly 70' 6" long and 7' beam. Could any of you guys reassure me that I'll be able to fit in all the locks and bridge 'oles between there and 'ere?? Cheers, Rob.

Hello to all from the newbie. We are buying a new boat next week and plan to move her from near Ricky to Lichfield in Staffs as soon as. Now, she's a Thames Launch Works river class and is reportedly 70' 6" long and 7' beam. Could any of you guys reassure me that I'll be able to fit in all the locks and bridge 'oles between there and 'ere?? Cheers, Rob.

I can't answer your question but those that can may need to know your boats air draft too. (Though some on here may know the air draft of a Thames Launch Works river class)

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by MJG

Unless today's hail has melted into the canal, then the under water draught might be relevant through Tring and Berko too! ;)

I would not have thought the levels Tring summit is currently working at are likely to cause any significant problems.

The opening restrictions at the various Grand Union lock flights will, however, make the trip take probably at least a day longer than it would if you could choose at what time you passed through those flights.

We have just taken a working boat from Fenny Stratford up to Lichfield area, and the only low water level encountered was a very low pound between the bottom two pairs of Hillmorton locks.

I can't answer your question but those that can may need to know your boats air draft too. (Though some on here may know the air draft of a Thames Launch Works river class)

Welcome to the forum.

Unless the "River" in question has some absurdly high cabin on it, height of boat will not be any issue at all.

EDIT:

Sorry - missed the "Ricky" connection - clearly it's "Taw". Just looked at the advert - rather nice - congratulations! No - that boat should present no great problems at all, I'd have thought.

Edited by alan_fincher

Blimey that was quick, thanks all so far. More detail: she draws 3' afaik, @ fadetoscarlet: yes Taw, well done!

The reason I was asking is mainly to do with length and beam as I've had a 60 footer with 6' 10" beam for the last 10 years so haven't really had to think about it before! Can anyone relieve me of this mild anxiety so I can concentrate on being anxious about handing over a holdall stuffed with an enormous amount of money??!! Cheers

Cheers Alan, I'm made up! We've wanted a 'proper' boat for years but it's taken a long time to be in the position to fulfil the dream!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Taw at Stoke Bruerne this afternoon -- in fact (I assume) Squeezy was pleased we were leaving so he could have our mooring at the bottom of the locks (although I reckon there was space behind us anyway). Nice looking boat, especially that bow as it's coming towards you.

Thanks Adam,I didn't fancy mooring opposite the river inflow on mooring pins on a sodden bank! ( I paced the space behind you and came up with 62'!(we're 70')) S.

I'm not surprised you didn't want to moor back there -- I've never seen the River Tove flowing across like that before. Normally, that weir is dry. The whole pound has been up by about six inches over the past week or two.