Stroud on Water festival

keble

Featured Posts

Should be a good weekend: linky

Welcome to Stroud on Water 2012! Our Festival takes place over 2nd – 4th June 2012 at Marling School Playing Field just outside Stroud town centre.

The Festival is organised by the Cotswold Canals Trust with help from many other organisations. We are hosting the Inland Waterways Association’s annual Trailboat Festival and expect lots of boats to be on the Stroudwater canal for the first time in over 100 years!

The canal is being restored and the first stretch, from Stonehouse through Stroud, will be starting to look like a proper canal again by the time of the festival (although there will still be a lot of work to be finished). 2012 is also the 40th anniversary of the Cotswold Canals Trust, so why not come to our festival and join in the celebrations?

Opening times will be 12:00 to 23:00 on Saturday and 11:00 to 23:00 on Sunday and Monday.

It just so happens ive got the day off (woop woop) and have now marked it up on the calender, it was the Saul festivals that got me intrested in canals and boats. I hope (im sure it will ) this is the start of many celebrations on the Stroud waterways, thanks for the

information and i urge everyone who can, to support. regards Martin

It just so happens ive got the day off (woop woop) and have now marked it up on the calender, it was the Saul festivals that got me intrested in canals and boats. I hope (im sure it will ) this is the start of many celebrations on the Stroud waterways, thanks for the

information and i urge everyone who can, to support. regards Martin

Me too, the Saul festival I mean. Let's hope the great experience will continue :)

I live very close to the Stroudwater and have to cross a swing bridge every day - this has been closed for rebuilding for many months. Initially it was supposed to be closed for 14 weeks, but we are approaching double that. The Local Authority who are in charge of the project seem to have no real idea of what is going on - and indeed the new bridge has been incorrectly aligned and will cause problems for traffic. The rumour is that all the works are running late and may not be ready for the festival weekend.

For a project that has serious impact on the council tax payers of the borough - as an attempt to win 'hearts and minds', it has gone seriously wrong in my opinion.

I live very close to the Stroudwater and have to cross a swing bridge every day - this has been closed for rebuilding for many months. Initially it was supposed to be closed for 14 weeks, but we are approaching double that. The Local Authority who are in charge of the project seem to have no real idea of what is going on - and indeed the new bridge has been incorrectly aligned and will cause problems for traffic. The rumour is that all the works are running late and may not be ready for the festival weekend.

For a project that has serious impact on the council tax payers of the borough - as an attempt to win 'hearts and minds', it has gone seriously wrong in my opinion.

Which bridge is that Richard?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure about the local authority "not knowing what is going on" They posted this in their project update at the beginning of May:

"Stonehouse Ocean: The new hand operated, hydraulically-assisted swing bridge has now been installed and tested. We are investigating whether the angle of the bridge can be slightly increased in order to take traffic further away from the adjacent bungalow. This may result in a delay to opening, which was due for mid May".

And where do you get the idea that ALL the works are running late? A rumour doesn't make it correct.

And didn't the Wallbridge project just win the "partnership" category at the Waterways Renaissance Awards? Not bad for an organisation that has no real idea of what is going on.

I appreciate that delays can be frustrating and annoying, but rubbishing a whole project and a water festival with little real evidence strikes me as being a bit harsh, IMHO!

I'm not sure about the local authority "not knowing what is going on" They posted this in their project update at the beginning of May:

"Stonehouse Ocean: The new hand operated, hydraulically-assisted swing bridge has now been installed and tested. We are investigating whether the angle of the bridge can be slightly increased in order to take traffic further away from the adjacent bungalow. This may result in a delay to opening, which was due for mid May".

And where do you get the idea that ALL the works are running late? A rumour doesn't make it correct.

And didn't the Wallbridge project just win the "partnership" category at the Waterways Renaissance Awards? Not bad for an organisation that has no real idea of what is going on.

I appreciate that delays can be frustrating and annoying, but rubbishing a whole project and a water festival with little real evidence strikes me as being a bit harsh, IMHO!

As a resident living close to Ocean Bridge, I can tell exactly what has happened - the Ocean project has gone completely off the rails. What was originally a 14 week project is now approximately double that. The Project Manager admits that he is having to go back to the contractor for a redesign - partly in order to increase the angle at which the bridge swings and partly to do something to reduce the 200 turns on the windlass that is now required to swing the bridge. I have also asked him how a single handed boater would manage to moor on the towpath, walk across the bridge, open it and then get back to his boat - currently he would need to swim. Just one huge cock up from beginning to end. The Project Manager has promised us all updates every Thurs - the first of which was supposed to arrive yesterday, but didn't. Currently they don't have a clue when it will be finished

If you want to see how the project is really progressing - try looking at the lock close to Sainsburys - that has months of work left in it - and yet the original idea was to send boats from the rally site down to The Ocean. Even the CCT member on the workboat that I spoke to told me that the event is being held a year too early.

In the past, when I have asked Stroud DC for a progress report, they mutter phrases like ' we have a meeting with the contractor in 2 weeks time and we will know more then' - they are simply sheltering under the mantle of the design and build contract that they let - but ultimately they signed it off and should be responsible.

As a resident living close to Ocean Bridge, I can tell exactly what has happened - the Ocean project has gone completely off the rails. What was originally a 14 week project is now approximately double that. The Project Manager admits that he is having to go back to the contractor for a redesign - partly in order to increase the angle at which the bridge swings and partly to do something to reduce the 200 turns on the windlass that is now required to swing the bridge. I have also asked him how a single handed boater would manage to moor on the towpath, walk across the bridge, open it and then get back to his boat - currently he would need to swim. Just one huge cock up from beginning to end. The Project Manager has promised us all updates every Thurs - the first of which was supposed to arrive yesterday, but didn't. Currently they don't have a clue when it will be finished

If you want to see how the project is really progressing - try looking at the lock close to Sainsburys - that has months of work left in it - and yet the original idea was to send boats from the rally site down to The Ocean. Even the CCT member on the workboat that I spoke to told me that the event is being held a year too early.

In the past, when I have asked Stroud DC for a progress report, they mutter phrases like ' we have a meeting with the contractor in 2 weeks time and we will know more then' - they are simply sheltering under the mantle of the design and build contract that they let - but ultimately they signed it off and should be responsible.

Lots of swing bridges on canals are operated from the offside and are consequentially difficult for single handers, so the layout of the Ocean bridge is far from unusual.

I'm not saying it's best practice but it doesn't make it a cock up. Don't know about the angle of the bridge but on the other hand I don't think they're denying they've got a problem there. I'm not familiar with the bridge mechanism, but I understand it's a combination of mechanics and hydraulics, so a change of gearing ratio doesn't sound like a major job.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure that delays are inconvenient and annoying. But I still don't think you can rubbish a whole project because of delays to a bridge (and a lock).

I'm told on fairly good authority that the HLF is happy with progress and considers the project to be well managed.

We are, of course, all entitled to our own opinion, so I'm happy to agree to disagree on this one!

Lots of swing bridges on canals are operated from the offside and are consequentially difficult for single handers, so the layout of the Ocean bridge is far from unusual.

But they have (had) a chance to get this one right - why build in problems from the start of the restoration? When I mentioned it to SDC, it was clear that it had never even occurred to them.

The CCT in an update only this week referred to the new bridge being 'largely complete, albeit at a slightly jaunty angle' - does it not occur to them that people are being inconvenienced and that a late change to the design of the project will have major effects on the overall cost - be that HLF or SDC(council tax payers) money

I hope the event is a success and I hope the restoration goes well, but those directly responsible (SDC) and those additionally involved in the project (like the Cotswolds Canal Trust) should be aware that the majority of residents/council tax payers are against this project - on the basis of cost and upheaval. What is happening is not a good way to win 'hearts and minds'

Edited to include an excerpt from the Stroud on the Water website

''The restoration is behind schedule. However, a lot of hard work has quietly gone on and we are confident that there will be a canal for the trail-boat festival to take place on.

The reasons for the hold-ups are many, and anyone with project management experience will understand the myriad of issues with contracts of this nature and particularly environmental regulatory approvals.

The plan is moving but is currently as follows:

Work is now taking place on the two Dudbridge locks (see photos on the “news” page). However, it looks very unlikely that they will be operational in time for the festival. The former plan “B” has therefore become the new plan “A”. As a consequence of this we shall have two full-width but not connected lengths of canal. The length through the festival site will be quite short, but will have all facilities on its doorstep''

Edited by richardf

But they have (had) a chance to get this one right - why build in problems from the start of the restoration? When I mentioned it to SDC, it was clear that it had never even occurred to them.

The CCT in an update only this week referred to the new bridge being 'largely complete, albeit at a slightly jaunty angle' - does it not occur to them that people are being inconvenienced and that a late change to the design of the project will have major effects on the overall cost - be that HLF or SDC(council tax payers) money

I hope the event is a success and I hope the restoration goes well, but those directly responsible (SDC) and those additionally involved in the project (like the Cotswolds Canal Trust) should be aware that the majority of residents/council tax payers are against this project - on the basis of cost and upheaval. What is happening is not a good way to win 'hearts and minds'

Well they certainly seem to have failed to win yours, Richard!

I'm going boating now, so have a nice weekend.

I'd have liked to attend the festival but sadly work commitments made it impossible. I really must find the time to have a look at the restoration progress, it seems to have come on in leaps and bounds since I was last there.

One thing that does worry me about the Cotswold Canals resoration is the missing railway bridge at Stonehouse Ocean. This doesn't feature in the first phase of the restoration but my experience from many years working in the railway industry is that it will be phenomenally difficult to get this reinstated. I think the Trust need to prepare themselves for years and years and years of often frustrating and fruitless negotiations with Network Rail who a) will be largely disinterested and b)will quote unfeasibly high costs for the job which will be constantly revised upwards. If this is not tackled now then I can see this bridge still holding up the restoration ten or twenty years hence. Bypassing the M5 blockage will be a walk in the park compared to dealing with the railway!

One thing that does worry me about the Cotswold Canals resoration is the missing railway bridge at Stonehouse Ocean. This doesn't feature in the first phase of the restoration but my experience from many years working in the railway industry is that it will be phenomenally difficult to get this reinstated. I think the Trust need to prepare themselves for years and years and years of often frustrating and fruitless negotiations with Network Rail who a) will be largely disinterested and b)will quote unfeasibly high costs for the job which will be constantly revised upwards. If this is not tackled now then I can see this bridge still holding up the restoration ten or twenty years hence. Bypassing the M5 blockage will be a walk in the park compared to dealing with the railway!

Thats almost word for word what one of the guys from CCT said to me about the railway bridge problem. They seem to be very aware that it will be a massive undertaking. Its a shame that they couldn't connect from Saul sooner as surely boats using the canal would bring in more money. Also as the center of stroud is looking very good alot of people seem to think the canal is nearly fininshed.

When we were house hunting in stroud people were saying to us that it will be nice that we can bring the boat up while we look for a house not aware that the lower end is still unusable. I hope that it wont hinder future funding that people think its all done already.

Would have loved to attend the water festival but we decided there would probably be more folks at Crick. How did it go at Stroud?

Thats almost word for word what one of the guys from CCT said to me about the railway bridge problem. They seem to be very aware that it will be a massive undertaking. Its a shame that they couldn't connect from Saul sooner as surely boats using the canal would bring in more money. Also as the center of stroud is looking very good alot of people seem to think the canal is nearly fininshed.

Oh well, at least then they are aware of the task ahead. That is a good start.

One thing that does worry me about the Cotswold Canals resoration is the missing railway bridge at Stonehouse Ocean. This doesn't feature in the first phase of the restoration but my experience from many years working in the railway industry is that it will be phenomenally difficult to get this reinstated. I think the Trust need to prepare themselves for years and years and years of often frustrating and fruitless negotiations with Network Rail who a) will be largely disinterested and b)will quote unfeasibly high costs for the job which will be constantly revised upwards. If this is not tackled now then I can see this bridge still holding up the restoration ten or twenty years hence. Bypassing the M5 blockage will be a walk in the park compared to dealing with the railway

When we were house hunting in stroud people were saying to us that it will be nice that we can bring the boat up while we look for a house not aware that the lower end is still unusable. I hope that it wont hinder future funding that people think its all done already.

Would have loved to attend the water festival but we decided there would probably be more folks at Crick. How did it go at Stroud?

I'm responding to Chickadee's points in particular first, and then to points in general.

As HLF monitor I have to be a tad careful what I say in public, indeed I'm supposed to be careful about what I say in private, which hasn't stopped me ringing people up either to give them a kick up the arse, or to ring the person who CAN give them a kick up the arse.

There are some very, very talented people on this one: Without Councillor Pearson, David Hagg, Sandra Cowley, Ken Burgin, Paul Cain, Paul Coupe (now not involved) and Dave Marshall this project wouldn't be on the rails at all. I don't mean long term (the long term list of those who got it this far runs into hundreds), I mean short term "It needs to be done NOW".

We didn't take Juno to the festival because the work had stalled to the extent the boats and the festival weren't in the same place. We plan to just take her up and have a cruise later in the year. The current Project Manager, in fairness, walked into this unaware that a hail of bullets was waiting for him.

Regarding the Railway, I will message Chickadee and give a response. There are plans afoot, not just for that one, but for railway crossings beyond Brimscombe towards Sapperton. The biggest problem is always funding "can we get the money?"

Has no one here ever started a project and found that it turned out to be a tad more complicated than they expected?

When the first grant application went in, £20 million was sought towards a Saul to Stroud scheme. As I understand it, the scheme was good but the grant was beyond what budgets would allow. Thus a revised grant bid went in for the current scheme. It would have been better to have done it all in one go, but it wasn't affordable.

That said, I have for a long time found some people a bit "networkist", If you want to cruise every bit of navigable water, get a boat that goes on the car roof-rack.

And if you think the above is letting off steam, wait until you read my memoirs when I retire...

Back to the title, how did the festival go?

edit to add.

How many people got ran over from all the 4X4 drivers trying to use a slipway who are not use to reversing trailer?

and did a dog poo on the field? :cheers:

Edited by ditchcrawler

edit to add.

How many people got ran over from all the 4X4 drivers trying to use a slipway who are not use to reversing trailer?

I heard of one trailer winch breaking which led to the boat launching itself. As for dog poo, no dogs were allowed on site as it was a school playing field :)

I made the long (4 1/2 hours as it turned out) drive down on Saturday and came back Sunday afternoon (in a quicker time of 3 hours) and I must say I enjoyed every minute of it :D

Oh, if anyone was there, I was the one waving a windlass around at the lock for most of Sunday :)

7334449930_dbb7b6b4f5.jpg

Ryeford Double Lock - Stroudwater Navigation by imulford, on Flickr

7334407554_39bfec3a5a.jpg

Stroudwater Navigation by imulford, on Flickr

7334487826_66e72c3daa.jpg

7334402902_626fbdcdb8.jpg

Edited by IanM

I heard of one trailer winch breaking which led to the boat launching itself. As for dog poo, no dogs were allowed on site as it was a school playing field :)

I made the long (4 1/2 hours as it turned out) drive down on Saturday and came back Sunday afternoon (in a quicker time of 3 hours) and I must say I enjoyed every minute of it :D

Oh, if anyone was there, I was the one waving a windlass around at the lock for most of Sunday :)

Thanks for the photos Ian

edit to add.

The non-boaty bits were brilliant! Great music, food and beer. And a really superb laid back atmosphere,as Stroud does so well.

A shame the boats were so far from the main field, but they did look good. I heard there were 4000 through the gates on Saturday; I expect Sunday would be lower cos of the rain, but Monday (grand daughter's 1st birthday, I'll post a photo [done]) was much better.

CameraZOOM-20120604165609532.jpg

Here's hoping for another one next year.

Edited by keble