leaking

gollum

Featured Posts

If it is a Wilson boat only 7 years old, unless it has been really abused or neglected it is very unlikely to actually be collecting canal water via a leak in the hull.

Never totally impossible of course, but it is far more likely the explanation is elsewhere.

If it has a separate water tank, rather than one that is just an integral part of the hull, (and I'm guessing a Wilson boat of that age probably will), then SH's suggestion about an overfilled water tank actually discharging into the hull, rather than overboard is certainly worth investigating. It certainly wouldn't be the first time it has been known to happen.

I'm not completely clear from your post that you are confident that when you pump water out, the level in no part is rising again. Can you confirm at least this is the case, please ?

it has a seperate water tank stainless in the bow. where i have pumped out the water it dont run back. The boat has not been looked after.

Yes and no.

If there's a calorifier there will be pipe runs etc. Possibly holes for wiring also. Hopefully not right at the bottom, but possibly none too far up either.

Also, if there's any form of door between the cabin and the engine bay / outside world then unless it's been fitted to ocean-going standards there will be a gap round it that water could get through, eventually. Indeed on some badly-designed cruiser sterns with external steps, rain water collecting in the resulting 'well' and then leaking through the doorway is a fairly common occurence.

calorifier seems fine but will check the pipe run. no door.thanks

The pump dont run unless the tap is on.can water go from one section to another in the hull, i thought it would all run to the stern of the boat.

Usually water is free to flow from the bow to the engine room bulkhead. your stern gland probable wasn't the problem as it's likely your engine room bulkhead is sealed from the boats bilges under the floor.

This is why I suspect a long term accumulation, possibly condensation whilst it was live aboard. Does it have a Stainless Steel water tank, these can condensate badly, also toilet waste tanks. Shower tray is also an option as already suggested. your water pump should never come on whilst any taps are not being used, A small leak can cause the pump to come on several hours after a tap has been used. So if you haven't been on the boat for long periods it could be a very small leak in the water system.

Ok then it sounds as if no pipe work is leaking.

Water will normally run to the stern (as in the rear of the cabin) depending on the boat construction. Floor bearers and hull strengtheners however may prevent water running all the way back.

Where exactly did you extract the 200 litres from?

all over the boat the water seems to stay in the sections

OOOOOPS better get out the kitchen!

Sorry - that wasn't specifically aimed at you even though my post followed yours. Feel free to pitch in, it's just sometimes on here the quest to help folk can confuse and cloud the issue for the OP... :cheers:

Usually water is free to flow from the bow to the engine room bulkhead. your stern gland probable wasn't the problem as it's likely your engine room bulkhead is sealed from the boats bilges under the floor.

This is why I suspect a long term accumulation, possibly condensation whilst it was live aboard. Does it have a Stainless Steel water tank, these can condensate badly, also toilet waste tanks. Shower tray is also an option as already suggested. your water pump should never come on whilst any taps are not being used, A small leak can cause the pump to come on several hours after a tap has been used. So if you haven't been on the boat for long periods it could be a very small leak in the water system.

we have only had the boat 3 weeks can condensation cause that much water. yes 2 stainless steel tanks one is for the toilet

calorifier seems fine but will check the pipe run. no door.thanks

I was trying to cover two questions with one answer there, so I'll be clearer.

If you have a cruiser stern then I would expect your cabin bilge to end where the bulkhead is, between living space and engine bay (beneath the boards) and between living space and stern deck (above the boards).

So the bulkhead is only good for keeping water out up til the point where there's any form of gap, such as a door frame. And that could be water from a leaking stern gland flooding the engine bay from beneath, or rainwater getting in from the top.

I'll be very surprised if you don't have any form of doorway there at all.

we have only had the boat 3 weeks can condensation cause that much water. yes 2 stainless steel tanks one is for the toilet

Yer definitely have a leak it wont be condensation.Yer will find it eventually so dont worry too much.Keep bailing out then have another good look.The bilge will dry out eventually and with no long term effects.

Sorry - that wasn't specifically aimed at you even though my post followed yours. Feel free to pitch in, it's just sometimes on here the quest to help folk can confuse and cloud the issue for the OP... :cheers:

Yea understood,no probs. :cheers:

I was trying to cover two questions with one answer there, so I'll be clearer.

If you have a cruiser stern then I would expect your cabin bilge to end where the bulkhead is, between living space and engine bay (beneath the boards) and between living space and stern deck (above the boards).

So the bulkhead is only good for keeping water out up til the point where there's any form of gap, such as a door frame. And that could be water from a leaking stern gland flooding the engine bay from beneath, or rainwater getting in from the top.

I'll be very surprised if you don't have any form of doorway there at all.

sorry misunderstood it has a door but the water would to be very high to go though it and the inside of the boat is dry

I would be staggered if you can get 200 litres from condensation, and still be pumping!

This seems totally inconceivable to me.

Whilst some small amounts may accumulate as condensation some of the time, at others I'd expect some to evaporate away. I have never found any water in our cabin bilge resulting from condensation. Indeed, even when we had problems with some windows that were not properly sealed to the cabin sides when we first bought the boat, although enough water got in to damage cabin linings around windows, even then not enough made it to the bilge to form any puddle I ever found.

This water in my view is likely to have originated from the fresh water system as by far the strongest possibility, and,(assuming leaking stern gland water can't find it's way that far forward), with any other source not seeming that likely to me.

You could well be right,i would not have known if i had not removed part of the floor, i think there is still quite a bit of water i dont know what to do next.

Basically I would get access to the bilges where ever possible, primarily at the stern, if the boat is sitting correctly that's where the majority of water should be. Pump scoop out as much as you can, use old towels to soak up the dregs and get it as dry as possible, microfibre cloths, sponges or towels are good for doing this. Personally I would get in a humidifier if you have access to 240 volt, hire a good big one asap and get it up and running 24 hour a day.

From the stern work your way up the boat removing floor where you can, not necessarily all of it but enough to inspect and get some air into the bilges, again scoop out and dry as much as possible, you're bound to find pools and puddles, so the more floor you expose the better especially if you use a humidifier. This may also reveal the leak as when drying out any fresh water occurance will give a clue as to its source.

It's not the end of the world although it possibly seems that way. If this has been a long term leak, the humidifier will also dry out other parts of the boat that might be damp due to this ingress.

As a quick test of the freshwater tank, it may be a good idea to measure the tank immediately by dipping a stick in it. Leave overnight, then dip again in the morning. If this shows a significant drop, you will have found the problem. Depends if it is leaking fast enough to show in that timescale , though.

My boat is 120 years old and I bought it without a survey.

:D

Of course people do - and bully for them if they have the confidence/skills/experience to do so, the general consensus is that normally it's a good idea to have one if you don't - I didn't.

Not in this case though I'm afraid - I'd wager it's nowt to do with the stern gland and stick with the fresh or waste water theory.

On about Mikes 120 yo boat MJG not posters boat wink.gif

Agreed though, I reckon it's been a long term problem, just a hunch though as he stated the boat wasn't well looked after. Lot of water though either way.

Would a surveyor have measured it & told you it was too fat to get through the tight locks?

Yes a surveyor with an clue about historic botes would definitely have measured it, and I'd still have bought it regardless. So why bother?!

Mike