SR2 starter motor part

Nick1969

Featured Posts

I was hoping somebody could help me locate a 13 teeth anti-clockwise cog for a Lucas M45G 26175M which is for my lister SR2 . The one in my starter motor was replaced with an 11 teeth cog whilst being repaired.

I appreciate any help ,

kind regards Nick

I was hoping somebody could help me locate a 13 teeth anti-clockwise cog for a Lucas M45G 26175M which is for my lister SR2 . The one in my starter motor was replaced with an 11 teeth cog whilst being repaired.

I appreciate any help ,

kind regards Nick

Are the 13 teeth hens teeth? ;)

Have you tried Marine Engine Services

Rare they certainly are. Only suggestion I have is Midland Starter Drives in Dudley (or is that Dodlay). They may be able to help, I have found them very good for wierd and wonderful parts in the past. No apparent web presence as far as I can see but google up a phone number. Failing that it may be time to think about a replacement motor.

I appreciate any help ,

kind regards Nick

Extract from a usenet thread I started way back:-

If my memory isn't up the spout;

1) The LRS155 and LRS555 are identical caisngs

2) the 155 is clockwise and the 555 is counterclock

3) the 155 is 10 tooth, and the 555 is 11 tooth.

The 555 is about 300 quid.

There is a counterclock version of the 155 that differs from the 555

only in the number of teeth (so it turns the engine over more slowly)

that is cheaper.

Does that help?

Why do you think you need a 13-tooth pinion? :unsure:

Sometimes it's sort of nice for two meshing gears to have a similar tooth profile and be properly meshed rather than merely touching. I remember all the gardners in a fleet of buses I worked on had 13 tooth pinions and there was problems when some other vehicles joined the fleet that needed 12 teeth. Stores suggested I file one off! With the wrong pinion starters jammed.

Sometimes it's sort of nice for two meshing gears to have a similar tooth profile and be properly meshed rather than merely touching. I remember all the gardners in a fleet of buses I worked on had 13 tooth pinions and there was problems when some other vehicles joined the fleet that needed 12 teeth. Stores suggested I file one off! With the wrong pinion starters jammed.

What rubbish. Every Fule Kno that you should have sawed every thirteenth tooth off the flywheel, counting around until you arrived back at the first tooth. That would stop the pinion binding!

Richard

It seems to be acceptable in some circumstances to use different tooth numbers on the same engine, something that I've never really understood because surely there must be some mismatch, though the tooth profile might be modified to mitigate this?

Middletons in Manchester have been pretty good for me at finding obscure bits, they found me an anticlock pinion for a BS6 (big bronze thing) when even the standard rotation ones are getting difficult. It did take a month or two, though!.

They did have new anticlock SR starters in stock not long ago, no idea what the tooth count is though.

Tim

I may have one, after my starter-replacement for the SR3 fiasco that became a long thread on here back in 2010.

I'll have to dig it out and count the teeth on it though, as it came on my replacement engine.

I got my brand new one from one of the huge remanufacturers, though it did cost me an arm and a leg.

Credit to Tim ^^^ as he was one of the people who dug me out of that specific hole... :)

PC

Thanx for all the replies.I have been in touch with forge services who are trying to help.

I bought the enginie in scotland a couple of years ago, it doesnt have an engine number.I fitted the engine to the boat in walsall and chugged her home to cambridge,so I know it all works.

The ignition connection on the solenoid was broken and the brushes needed replacing, I saw cheap starters on ebay and rang the company who told me that because the 13 teeth anti clockwise starter could not be replaced I would have to send it in for repair. 3months later it came back to me, by this time I had moved the boat to her winter mooring for her refit and have only recently got around to fitting the starter moter only th hear a grinding metal on metal noise.A friend dismantled the starter to find the pinion had been inserted upside down which resulted in some washers and the pin being smashed. My friend located a spare and replaced the brocken bits only to then discover that the pinion had 11 teeth.I rang the company concerned who said they didnt do the work , they sent it off and had been told the 11 teeth would work in replacement of the 13 teeth pinion , which it clearly doesn't. Now the company are claiming that there wasnt a 13 teeth in there and because my friend fixed there mistake it invalidates the warranty. So it has cost me 130 pound and my pinion that i cant replace.

Now Ive taken a deep breath and calmed down,

I dont want retribution I just want my engine to work,

ive looked at the starter and found some more nubers

LUCAS

26175M 5-67

M45G 12V

anti-clockwise arrow

once again thanx to all and please forgive my rant

royally stitched up Nick

Thank you very much paulcatchpole, if you could look that would be great, if its a case of getting one engineered does anybody have a rough idea how much it would be or what about the option of a diffarent starter moter how would that work not knowing the engine number, perhaps I could mark the flywheel and count the teeth would that work,

once again , thanxs to all

kind regards

nick

I appreciate any help ,

kind regards Nick

Hi Nick,I dont know where you are located,try e mailing Carwoods of Coventry,they recon and hold a massive stock of spares for lucas starter motors etc. Hope this helps.

Thanx Geoff,I will do that tomorrow,

another reliable source told me today that the 13 toothed pinion was for a 20 inch flywheel, which was fitted to the H series, I have checked flywheel , it is 15 inch which I have been assured is a SR2 and works with an 11 toothed pinion .

So I dont know whether I need a 13 tooth or the starter is still broken, it appears to not mesh. I cant afford to send it of again especially as i may simply need a 13 tooth cog and not what I am being advised,

kind regards all

Nick

Thanx Geoff,I will do that tomorrow,

another reliable source told me today that the 13 toothed pinion was for a 20 inch flywheel, which was fitted to the H series, I have checked flywheel , it is 15 inch which I have been assured is a SR2 and works with an 11 toothed pinion .

So I dont know whether I need a 13 tooth or the starter is still broken, it appears to not mesh. I cant afford to send it of again especially as i may simply need a 13 tooth cog and not what I am being advised,

kind regards all

Nick

You maybe need to borrow a known good LRS555 and try that (11-tooth) Then you can determine starter/pinion/whatever.

I've checked mine, and it's an 11-tooth.

It arrived on a marine ST2, and I've had it on that ST2, the other ST2 and the SR3 it replaced.

Obviously, it'll only work on marine ST/SRs, as it goes round the correct way, not on generator ones, which were opposite rotation.

You're welcome to give it a go. I expect it should work.

I bought my brand-new one at around the same time as the above, which came from BBA Reman, at significant cost! That too, is an identical 11-tooth version, just brand new! :)

PC

Thanx Dave , please excuse my naivety but are you are saying that i could use an LRS555 with my SR2.How do you know it would fit I thought that It had to be the same model

regards nick

All I'm suggesting is that the LRS555 (11T, ACW) IS the correct unit for a marine rotation SR2/3 and if you can borrow a known unmolested one, it would be a good starting point in determining whether you should have an ACW or CW, 10, 11 or 13 tooth starter. Use it as a test base.

I'm no expert here, either, but I just trawl, read, & listen and have realised that these things can be built up from a combination of different parts with (poss) differing numbers. As a matter of interest, the number on yours is 26175M but mine is 26157M and a 1960 date, 14yrs older that the boat.

Unlike Paul, I have only worked with my own starter and my own SR3, so I'm still open to learn. One day I WILL have to change mine, I'm not confident that it works at it's peak performance (2 friends SR3s spin faster!) :(

I'm no expert here, either, but I just trawl, read, & listen and have realised that these things can be built up from a combination of different parts with (poss) differing numbers. As a matter of interest, the number on yours is 26175M but mine is 26157M and a 1960 date, 14yrs older that the boat.... Unlike Paul, I have only worked with my own starter and my own SR3, ... :(

Hope this is not off topic but http://www.sleeman-hawken.co.uk/suppliers/lister-petter/engine-production-dates.html gives production dates for ALL Listers. All SR1/2/3s were 1967 to 1976. If an original Lucas starter is fitted one would expect it to be dated within those years. Lucas was always deadly accurate with dating. My 1973 Springer has a 1973 SR226M engine but I've not had the starter out yet to identify it. Thanks to all though for a lot of good info in this thread.

Thanx a lot for all the interest and help,

thanx paulcatchpole for the offer of the pinion, much appreciated , I have a anti clockwise 11 teeth on the motor at the moment .

Dave , I just checked my numbers and I got it wrong, I have the 26157 M also,so soz about that, does yours have 11 teeth or 13.I havnt been able to get hold of an LRS555 as I have been rushed, to be honest Ive been scratching my head.Im'm gonna get the starter motor looked at again,and if thats ok then I think something weired has happened like the engine has been chopped and a diffarent flywheel with more teeth has been fitted, I cant relly believe that but

When I sent my starter off it had a 13 teeth pinion in the starter motor and started my engine just fine, now it has 11 and doesnt start, anyway thanx to pentargon , good info, my engine hasnt an engine number I dont know for sure if its an SR2 , weve measured it and good reliable sources have informed me that its an SR2 but it came out of a lifeboat in scotland so it wouldnt surprise me if it was a bit diffarent, anyway thanx loads

to you all

kind regards Nick

Thanx a lot for all the interest and help,

thanx paulcatchpole for the offer of the pinion, much appreciated , I have a anti clockwise 11 teeth on the motor at the moment .

Dave , I just checked my numbers and I got it wrong, I have the 26157 M also,so soz about that, does yours have 11 teeth or 13.I havnt been able to get hold of an LRS555 as I have been rushed, to be honest Ive been scratching my head.Im'm gonna get the starter motor looked at again,and if thats ok then I think something weired has happened like the engine has been chopped and a diffarent flywheel with more teeth has been fitted, I cant relly believe that but

When I sent my starter off it had a 13 teeth pinion in the starter motor and started my engine just fine, now it has 11 and doesnt start, anyway thanx to pentargon , good info, my engine hasnt an engine number I dont know for sure if its an SR2 , weve measured it and good reliable sources have informed me that its an SR2 but it came out of a lifeboat in scotland so it wouldnt surprise me if it was a bit diffarent, anyway thanx loads

to you all

kind regards Nick

Very early SR engines did, AFAIR, have a different starter from most, I thought it was just the mounting flange which was different but could easily be wrong. Chances are it would be the same as SL or LR starters but that's just a guess. You could ask Chris-B but I think he said he's off boating.

Tim

When I sent my starter off it had a 13 teeth pinion in the starter motor and started my engine just fine, now it has 11 and doesnt start,

11 Teeth. Whereabouts are you located? Mine needs to come off soon for a check over (boat unused for some time) and if you're not too far away, it may be used to compare yours. Have you run yours off the boat, just to confirm its rotation and solenoid throw? ....Vice, spare car battery & jump leads would be needed!

A very nice offer Alice, I'll see how things pan out and may very well take you up on that offer,I have just had my starter tested by a reputable company on a bench and the starter is good , I'm leaving it with them till monday so they can test it under load but its looking like

A very nice offer Alice, I'll see how things pan out and may very well take you up on that offer.I will see if my stolen one can be returned first , could you please send me the e-mail of your fiend.

Dave, your a proper star, I'M over in cambridge which is a way from tha west midlands but thanx so much for the offer.There are quite a few boats round here so I will try and arrange a test with another starter.Today I have just had my starter tested by a reputable company on a bench and the starter is good , I'm leaving it with them till monday so they can test it under load but its looking like I will need a 13 teeth pinion, which is contrary to most advice I,m gettin, but Im feeling better knowing that I am getting somewhere.

But I can tell you all that it looks like the company I sent it too stole my pinion and replaced it with another, thinking that it would all be ok, after all I sent it in on the advice of the company as it was so rare it couldnt be replaced

and would have to be reconditioned, .

So once again thanx Alice and Dave and all of you that are watching this , including those responsible

kind regards

Nick