Spring

Proper Job

Featured Posts

Well........

Spring is finally here now.

I saw my first clutch(?) of ducklings at the weekend.

:)

It msut be time for it to snow again then ;)

You can have a "waddling" of ducks or if they are on the water a "paddling" - sounds so much more descriptive than the usual flock. These terms are not specific to young ducks though so maybe clutch is the right choice?

I saw my first clutch(?) of ducklings at the weekend.

Me too - one group of three at Henhull on Thursday and a group of 11 near Barbridge on Friday.

The three was down to 2 by Saturday though.

Eggs are breaking out all over. A mallard emerged from under our landing stage as I was gardening on Saturday, not an unusual occurrence - but she was surrounded by ten tiny ducklings.

Unfortunately there are pike and zanders in these waters, also eels, all of which regard a duckling as a pleasant snack, so I can only hope that all or most of the brood survive into aduckhood.

Eggs are breaking out all over. A mallard emerged from under our landing stage as I was gardening on Saturday, not an unusual occurrence - but she was surrounded by ten tiny ducklings.

Unfortunately there are pike and zanders in these waters, also eels, all of which regard a duckling as a pleasant snack, so I can only hope that all or most of the brood survive into aduckhood.

What? How many ducks do you want, for Pete's sake? If every brood of ten survived, we'd be literally knee deep in the things in a couple of years!

Your compassion does you proud, but the sad fact is that it's the fate of most small fluffy things to end up as a damp squeak and someone's lunch.

mellow.gif

It msut be time for it to snow again then ;) You can have a "waddling" of ducks or if they are on the water a "paddling" - sounds so much more descriptive than the usual flock. These terms are not specific to young ducks though so maybe clutch is the right choice?

I thought a 'clutch' was only for the eggs: once they've hatched, aren't they a 'family'?

What? How many ducks do you want, for Pete's sake? If every brood of ten survived, we'd be literally knee deep in the things in a couple of years!Your compassion does you proud, but the sad fact is that it's the fate of most small fluffy things to end up as a damp squeak and someone's lunch.mellow.gif

That was going to be my second point!

What? How many ducks do you want, for Pete's sake? If every brood of ten survived, we'd be literally knee deep in the things in a couple of years!

Your compassion does you proud, but the sad fact is that it's the fate of most small fluffy things to end up as a damp squeak and someone's lunch.

mellow.gif

You obviously do not like roast duck, peking duck, duck with cider, duck in honey and chestnut sauce, and all the other variations. The more ducks the better. Might bring thme price down!