Narrowboat paint....

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Im looking at doing a few top coats before i go back in - but i've been looking at Rylards Enamels (Dolphin Green & Pirate Red)

However id like some outside opinions as a few of the people i moor up with say their paints fade after 6 months..

I've been advised to use Blakes, now Hempel paints. but their range doesnt have the colours im looking for.

Has anyone had any fading with Rylards - or any recomendatuions otherwise?

Im also looking at these guys has anyone used them before?

Thanks

James

I am using Rylards and have painted one boat in the same colours (cream, crimson and royal blue) as one I painted 2 years ago and there's no discernable difference in either colour.

to answer your original question, in alphabetical order; Blakes, Craftmaster, International, Rylards all good

...and much the same these days since International changed their Toplac it's not as good by a long long way - they used to be well out there.

A vote for Craftmaster: not cheap (£62.99 for a two-and-a-half litre tin of "coach enamel") but you get what you pay for. Our boat's main colour is purple and it has faded very little over several years.

I must admit, I like Craftmaster even more since I discovered that it's their paint on the wonderful new steam locomotive 'Tornado'!

Chris, I had not heard of "viral marketing" (pssst, wanna buy some anthrax, Guv?) so I have looked it up on the internet. It appears to be selling via social networking, e.g. forums like this one, is that correct? So it's more or less synonymous with "personal recommendation".

In our case, we went to Crick Boat Show some years ago intending to buy some paint for our boat. We stumbled across Phil Speight's stand, bought a tin of his paint, were very satisfied with the results which it gave, and have continued to buy it ever since (probably eight or nine years, as the paint was for our previous boat which we sold in 2005).

Phil's comment about "the top brands" may be accurate, but not every layman knows which brands those are, so it's understandable that if he finds one which works for him, he'll stick with it.

Right, that's my bit of viral marketing done for the day.

Edited by Athy

Hi,

Craftmaster, Brill!!, avoid Masons for the 3 'F's' - it floctulates, fades and it's 'poor'. Customer relations are useless. (cost me £100 to find this out).

Edited by LEO

which just goes to show the power of viral marketing.

Even Mr Speight has stated there's not a huge difference between the top brands.

I've also owned and run (previously for many years) a Mercedes Benz.

Very good it was too

If asked, I'd happily recommend it as a very comfortable, effective, good performance and surprising economical as a second-hand car.

I've also used Craftmaster paints for many years - and have recommended them when asked,

I don't think that's 'viral marketing' in either example - I would have described that as 'personal recommendation - which is what I believe the OP was asking for . . . . .

Have you got out of bed the wrong side again this morning - - or are you genuinely just a contrary git?

Edited by Grace & Favour

Chris, I had not heard of "viral marketing" (pssst, wanna buy some anthrax, Guv?) so I have looked it up on the internet. It appears to be selling via social networking, e.g. forums like this one, is that correct? So it's more or less synonymous with "personal recommendation".

In our case, we went to Crick Boat Show some years ago intending to buy some paint for our boat. We stumbled across Phil Speight's stand, bought a tin of his paint, were very satisfied with the results which it gave, and have continued to buy it ever since (probably eight or nine years, as the paint was for our previous boat which we sold in 2005).

Phil's comment about "the top brands" may be accurate, but not every layman knows which brands those are, so it's understandable that if he finds one which works for him, he'll stick with it.

Right, that's my bit of viral marketing done for the day.

I have to say Craftsmaster is the one of my list of four I've not really used, being a bit of a cheapskate, so maybe I should try them (on your recommendation) though I do have a tin of their engine lacquer (because it was the cheapest!).

viral marketing includes personal recommendation, yes but there would be perhaps a more balanced view if the Rylards people contributed to this forum (rather than just ringing me up) as much as Phil Speight. This is not to devalue at all his enormous contributions to this site because, unlike some others, he does give a fair appraisal of other brands.

- or have you genuinely just a contrary git?

i did have one but it's worn out, can you recommend (personally) where I might obtain another?

Hi,

Craftmaster, Brill!!, avoid Masons for the 3 'F's' - it floctulates, fades and it's 'poor'. Customer relations are useless. (cost me £100 to find this out).

You have obviously had a bad experience with Masons.

I don't get involved with prescribing any particular paint. I.E, my boat is painted with Masons and didn't streak or fade.

I've had problems with paint that other painters haven't, and vice versa. Having used one particular paint for seven years, there are occasions when even this paint had the odd unusual problem.

Could be a batch run.

Masons and Craftmaster are not cheap paints. International brought out Brightside for a while, which glossed up more readily than Toplac. But, they discontinued this line and have a poor colour range.

I haven't been able to judge Craftmaster, simply because I haven't used it. The colour mixing sounds like a good move.

Epiphanes, I think, is an easy paint to work with.

Edited by Higgs

Narrowboatpaint, by Rapidpaint, is apparently not exactly the same formulation as Craftmaster, but as I understand it, is still blended in the same place. (Many of these firms I think market, and maybe specify a paint's formulation, but don't actually manufacture it themselves).

Not sure of current pricing, but it used to be a bit cheaper than Craftmaster, (though still pricey!).

Again, they will match an existing colour, including anything from the International range. They didn't charge for this when we did it.

IMO Craftmaster and Narrowboatpaint are probably a bit trickier for an amateur to use that International Toplac, but I'm a bit of a painting "numpty", and would probably struggle with Dulux!

IMO Craftmaster and Narrowboatpaint are probably a bit trickier for an amateur to use that International Toplac,

I have found, on the contrary, that Craftmaster goes on smoothly and covers well, and I'm certainly no expert painter.

Gosh, I'm being viral again....

I have found, on the contrary, that Craftmaster goes on smoothly and covers well, and I'm certainly no expert painter.

Gosh, I'm being viral again....

Agree, I also endorse Craftmaster paint. I have always found it excellent with good covering qualities.

Athy, I'm sure you can get medication for that complaint :P

Roger

Agree, I also endorse Craftmaster paint. I have always found it excellent with good covering qualities.

Athy, I'm sure you can get medication for that complaint :P

Roger

I hope so, Roger; could you recommend a brand?

Woolworths ''Coverplus''used to take a lot of beating. :mellow:

Never tried "Woolies"paint, but on the recommendation of others, painted my boat with International Ten Year last time. Available from sheds, Wilkinson's and some very good deals online. Fine to date.

Edited to add Wilkinson's paintbrushes are superb for the money.

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/10_year_exterior_gloss.jsp

Edited by Guest

which just goes to show the power of viral marketing.

Even Mr Speight has stated there's not a huge difference between the top brands.

Not quite I think. However,and whatever,you must understand that 1) I have always tried to make my contributions here without avoidably plugging Craftmaster. This results in 2) my having to be positive and fair about the "competition" - WHICH MEANS 3) I do not make comparisons here between Craftmaster and paint products from other respectable paint manufacturers/suppliers. Or for that matter ,even when people advocate the use of absolute dross and make unqualified and inaccurate statements about the good stuff.Believe me , it`s been very difficult sometimes avoiding laying out the differences between Craftmaster and other similar paints for you - but this is a forum, where technical help is freely given. It isn`t used for commercial advertising - or isn`t meant to be - so I keep quiet when sometimes I really want to shout quite loudly! This I will say - when I personally worked up the Craftmaster formulations with the lab.guys at HMG we aimed only for the qualities I was seeking and price was not an issue.

HMG are the biggest independant paint maker in the UK and there is a bloody great tank up there marked "Craftmaster Binder Only". Given that they produced several enamel binders of their own already, reaching the stage when ours had to be so seperate wasn`t cheap.

Narrowboatpaint, by Rapidpaint, is apparently not exactly the same formulation as Craftmaster, but as I understand it, is still blended in the same place. (Many of these firms I think market, and maybe specify a paint's formulation, but don't actually manufacture it themselves).

Not sure of current pricing, but it used to be a bit cheaper than Craftmaster, (though still pricey!).

Again, they will match an existing colour, including anything from the International range. They didn't charge for this when we did it.

IMO Craftmaster and Narrowboatpaint are probably a bit trickier for an amateur to use that International Toplac, but I'm a bit of a painting "numpty", and would probably struggle with Dulux!

No - this absolutely not the case. There was a time , many years ago, that Rapidpaint mixed paint for Craftmaster. This has not been the case for a long time now - indeed it would now , as result of continued development over the last few years I ran Craftmaster, be completely impossible for any HMG Distributor - Rapid included - to get anywhere near duplicating Craftmaster Coach Enamel. Most Craftmaster paint is nowadays produced in house with the balance coming direct from HMG.None of it comes from anywhere else.

Thanks for all the replies,

The both bow & stern cabin bulkheads were painted in B&Q paint from the looks of things - mind you thats lasted pretty well to be fair.

I think i'll stick with Rylards as the hull's been blacked with the premium range - makes sense to me to keep the boat with one paint type.

That & I already have colour scheam picked out lol.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again.Catching up after Sweden (!). I don`t think I made my point very well earlier in this stream. My contributions to this forum are made as a canal enthusiast who knows about paint and painting. I understand why people would consider it a form of advertizing for Craftmaster - but I was a boater and a painter long before I started a paint company. I joined this forum when I did because until the business made one essential I didn`t have a computer!

For the other paint companies to contribute here they would need someone who was into canal boats and skilled in paintwork of the requisite kind.That could well be construde as an ad.when I think about it..................

Hello again.Catching up after Sweden (!). I don`t think I made my point very well earlier in this stream. My contributions to this forum are made as a canal enthusiast who knows about paint and painting. I understand why people would consider it a form of advertizing for Craftmaster - but I was a boater and a painter long before I started a paint company. I joined this forum when I did because until the business made one essential I didn`t have a computer!

For the other paint companies to contribute here they would need someone who was into canal boats and skilled in paintwork of the requisite kind.That could well be construde as an ad.when I think about it..................

I have never used Craftmaster paint, and likely never will, though judging by boats I have seen painted with same, I am sure it is good tack.

Personally I have never seen your posts as any kind of plug for your product, but I have learned a lot about boat painting from them. You have also given me advice via pm even though I wasn't using your products.

Edited by Guest

I think, Phil, you took my comments the wrong way. The whole point about viral marketing is that it is the Internet version of word of mouth.

I also rarely use Craftsmaster but I'm grateful for your contributions to this forum.

I apologise if I gave offence.

Although a point remains, if one of the other paint companies contributed as much, their reputation would almost certainly gain. And a number of people who sing your praises do so, I am sure, because you are a member of their 'club'.

ps a reason given for not using Craftmaster is it's the most expensive. I recently bought some Craftsmaster engine enamel because it was the cheapest. Haven't used it yet so I can't give it a review.

Edited by Chris Pink