radweld to fix leak?

Mandy

Featured Posts

Is there any need to have a pressurised system as long as you have a good capacity expansion tank? I have a BMC 1.5.

The idea for having a pressurised system is that it raises the boiling point of water above 100°C.

So reducing the likely hood of steam if the engine overheats.

Yes having a pressurised system IS necessary for some engines - many automotive derived engines

are designed with a pressurised system - to the point that running unpressurised can under heavy

loading cause "spot boiling" in the water galleries around the exhaust ports in the cylinder head - this

in turn reduces the efficiency of the cooling system leading to overheating.

Most proper marine engines are designed with adequate cooling galleries to ensure proper function

even at atmospheric pressure (but also probably use much more water/antifreeze mixture if appropriate).

springy

Edited by springy

Yes having a pressurised system IS necessary for some engines - many automotive derived engines

are designed with a pressurised system - to the point that running unpressurised can under heavy

loading cause "spot boiling" in the water galleries around the exhaust ports in the cylinder head - this

in turn reduces the efficiency of the cooling system leading to overheating.

Most proper marine engines are designed with adequate cooling galleries to ensure proper function

even at atmospheric pressure (but also probably use much more water/antifreeze mixture if appropriate).

springy

Ok - will run it pressurised. Have to sort that leak first. Cheers

Hi, you mentioned water under the engine area but not mentioned what engine you run, have you checked the water pump ? they can leak for quite a while before becoming obvious, and usualy show a coloured crusty area if they are leaking. (usualy brown for a labrador).

That'll be a Vetus ;) Mine did that till I did a little mod.

Mine still does - I've just stopped filling it up :)

Hi, you mentioned water under the engine area but not mentioned what engine you run, have you checked the water pump ? they can leak for quite a while before becoming obvious, and usualy show a coloured crusty area if they are leaking. (usualy brown for a labrador).

I had a Mondeo that would lose the entire contents of the cooling system from the water pump in a 30 mile trip. When I part-exed it I parked it in a wet corner of the forecourt so's the dealer wouldn't see the puddle under the engine ;)

Mine still does - I've just stopped filling it up :)

I had a Mondeo that would lose the entire contents of the cooling system from the water pump in a 30 mile trip. When I part-exed it I parked it in a wet corner of the forecourt so's the dealer wouldn't see the puddle under the engine ;)

Ah - - I knew I'd meet up with you again one day! :closedeyes:

Now - about that Mondeo, Squire!

Sorry for my continued ignorance but how do I bleed the skin tank?

At the top of the skin tank, probably close to where the top hose joins it, will be (should be) a small bolt. When the system is cold, loosen that bolt (do not drop it or you'll have made a pretty little fountain in your engine 'ole). If air comes out, wait until the air stops and only water comes out. Tighten screw.

Does that make sense?

Tony

At the top of the skin tank, probably close to where the top hose joins it, will be (should be) a small bolt. When the system is cold, loosen that bolt (do not drop it or you'll have made a pretty little fountain in your engine 'ole). If air comes out, wait until the air stops and only water comes out. Tighten screw.

Does that make sense?

Tony

As soon as I get home from work I shall investigate - thanks. Over the last three years I have progressed from taking my boat into the yard if it needed a light bulb changing (almost) to doing my own servicing and now mending the odd problem, but I still don't know a lot more than I know - if you know what I mean! :rolleyes: