Which shower pump?

Featured Posts

I currently have a sump box that all the waste water from the shower and sink flow into, a float switch then triggers a pump to clear the box. It's been working intermittently, every time it fails to switch on the box leaks and I get a flood under the floorboards that in turn runs to the last bulkhead at the back of the boat.

I've been advised that these sump boxes aren't very good and that I need a whale gulper. Problem is that these only have one input so I would have to drill a separate skin fitting for the sink waste and also fit a switch to turn the whale gulper on and off.

The easiest thing to do is replace the sump box (although still £130), but is the other option a better choice?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

I currently have a sump box that all the waste water from the shower and sink flow into, a float switch then triggers a pump to clear the box. It's been working intermittently, every time it fails to switch on the box leaks and I get a flood under the floorboards that in turn runs to the last bulkhead at the back of the boat.

I've been advised that these sump boxes aren't very good and that I need a whale gulper. Problem is that these only have one input so I would have to drill a separate skin fitting for the sink waste and also fit a switch to turn the whale gulper on and off.

The easiest thing to do is replace the sump box (although still £130), but is the other option a better choice?

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Do you need everything else pumped. The only thing I pump is the shower the rest empty by gravity, each through its own hole in the hull side. Put the switch by the shower.

The alternative is just more of the same.

Do you need everything else pumped. The only thing I pump is the shower the rest empty by gravity, each through its own hole in the hull side. Put the switch by the shower.

The alternative is just more of the same.

It sounds like that is the best option, it's a lot more work though.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Why cannot you use the same skin fitting for shower and sink?

Does your current shower and sink both drain into the sump?

If yes, and the skin fitting is of a suitable height T in the sink drain with the shower pump outlet hose in such a way that the sink drain does not fill the shower.

One problem we have with this arrangement is when the shower has been emptied

by the pump the water in the hose from the pump up to the skin fitting drains back through the pump into the shower tray. It is not a Whale Gulper though. I intend to fit a non return valve just after the pump outlet to cure this. Just need a Roundtuit though

Edited by jelunga

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Why does the box leak? We have a box with a pump that was originally operated by a float switch but as these are notoriously unreliable it has been changed to a manual switch. You shower and the water stays in the bath, washing your feet quite nicely, and then pump out afterwards by turning the pump on. Our box has a large screw top with a rubber "O" ring as a seal. Perhaps you could save some plumbing by replacing he "O" ring if it's the same type.

One problem we have with this arrangement is when the shower has been emptied

by the pump the water in the hose from the pump up to the skin fitting drains back through the pump into the shower tray. It is not a Whale Gulper though. I intend to fit a non return valve just after the pump outlet to cure this. Just need a Roundtuit though

One way round this is to have a longer length of pipe between the bath/shower to the pump than from the pump to the skin fitting. That way when the pump stops there is sufficient capacity in the first bit of pipe to hold the water from the second.

One way round this is to have a longer length of pipe between the bath/shower to the pump than from the pump to the skin fitting. That way when the pump stops there is sufficient capacity in the first bit of pipe to hold the water from the second.

Brilliant. Why didnt I think of that? Simple and idiot proof. Will see what I can figure out.

Is your sink waste above the skin fitting? If so it can drain out directly which makes things easier.

Just have the hose from the shower loop up above sink level then tee in between sink and skin fitting.

That way the sink water can't find it's way down to the shower tray.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Hi

Some 3 years ago I replaced the sump and float switch arrangeement in Resolute with a Gulper and have no regrets whatsoever. The annual removal of the sump for cleaning was a vile task, the filter clogged with slime, goo and hair (YUK!!) The Gulper has been trouble free to date and is most efficient. Go for it!

Cheers

Dave