South Oxford Canal

rodgarrish

Featured Posts

We have just come down the Claydon flight and at the bottom lock we met the lockie who was closing the flight for the day. He suggested that the summit may have to close at the end of the month due to lack of water. He said that two weeks notice would be given?

Does anyone have more information, and how do you think the closure may be applied, ie may boats returning to home moorings be allowed for a while, as happened on the Leicester line last autumn.

This is my first post so forgive any procedural mistakes.

Waterscape gives a map that shows the areas at risk and also lists the reservoir levels which aren't good. I understood from some other posts that there was some back pumping at Napton and also into some of the resevoirs.

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-articles/features/british-waterways-reservoir-watch

If we're lucky its a temporary closure to let the reservoirs fill before the summer holidays start (Fingers crossed)

We're moored at the centre of the South Oxford top pound :( :( :(

Thanks for the info Rod, and welcome to CWF! I'm surprised by your news given the recent heavy and prolonged rainfall - which won't fill the reservoirs at a stroke, but one would think that it would stop them from getting any emptier.

Oh well, didn't want to go far this year anyway. i'll have to pretend that I'm in a marina.

Mike (South Oxford moorer).

Waterscape gives a map that shows the areas at risk and also lists the reservoir levels which aren't good. I understood from some other posts that there was some back pumping at Napton and also into some of the resevoirs.

http://www.waterscap...reservoir-watch

If we're lucky its a temporary closure to let the reservoirs fill before the summer holidays start (Fingers crossed)

We're moored at the centre of the South Oxford top pound :( :( :(

Came past Napton Reservoirs last week and they were fuller than I have seen them for a couple of years.

Incidentially if you loook at the Waterscape map there seems to be confusion as the Oxford goes through Leamington Spa and the GU through Rugby?

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/24910.pdf

Yes Napton reservoir is full to the brim, and water is pouring over the by-wash at Calcutt, so the "Braunston" pound seems full too.

We were on the South Oxford Summit at the weekend, and that too was full to the brim.

I do hope it is true that water is being pumped up into the reservoir at Wormleighton as it seems it is being wasted if not.

Yes Napton reservoir is full to the brim, and water is pouring over the by-wash at Calcutt, so the "Braunston" pound seems full too.

We were on the South Oxford Summit at the weekend, and that too was full to the brim.

I do hope it is true that water is being pumped up into the reservoir at Wormleighton as it seems it is being wasted if not.

There have been plenty of boat movements through Cropredy today - nevertheless, we are worried that any further restrictions may prevent us from reaching Crick for our annual cruise to the boat show. Perhaps we should have set out last week . . .

Just looked at the long range weather forcast,if they are right then we have 2 weeks of rain to look forward to.

I'll bet it's 3 weeks - given that we are sailing on the Broads for a week starting just under 2 weeks from now

Having just had a week of rain, on the Broads, I can tell you it's still better than a heatwave in Rugby.

A week in Alcatraz would be better tha a week in contemporary Rugby - and I speak as one who enjoyed living in the town 40 years ago!

Back on topic, I saw a boat in the lock at Marston Doles just after 9:00 yesterday morning - have the 10:00 to 14:00 navigation restrictions been relaxed or was this a special exception? Perhaps he had moored below Marston Doles and was waiting for the man with the key?

They must have unlocked it early I would say.

The bottom lock at Marston Doles has a chain round the bottom gates, and the top lock a bar in each of the ground paddles to stop them being opened.

How do I know this; well on Sunday we were running a bit late coming back from Fenny Compton and we got to the top lock behind another boat at 1:50 (woops). The other boat had gone down and we were just into the top lock when 2 BW guys turned up. We were lucky as they were late. Anyway they locked up the top ground paddles while I was sill in the lock (better not get stuck on the cill then), and then walked down to the lower lock to wait for us and locked up there as we came out.