How clean is your Boat

JerryP

Featured Posts

I had an old friend who lived like that, however at the age of eighty he could still walk a mile and do an easy day's work on the farm and he ailed nothing. It certainly wasn't bad for him, few modern men get to eighty let alone with the ability walk a mile each way to work.

Having seen this episode on TV, you can imagine what landlubbers think of us boaters!

If working boat families could live in a 9' by 6' cabin, surely with all of their space on this modern narrow boat this family could do better?

Is it the sty that makes the pigs, or the pigs that make the sty? :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

Behind the scenes :

A friend of my Sister-in-Law featured in this programme some years ago.

She kept a huge number of parrots in the house, and, by any 'normal' standards the house was a 'mess' - however by the time the film crew had finished 'dressing the stage' the house was an absolute sh** hole with parrot-poo etc scattered all around the kitchen and work tops, the lounge furniture was liberally daubed with the stuff, etc. etc.

Being a 'mess' isnt good enough to make 'good television' they had to make it 'sensational'.

Alan, you have answered my as yet unasked question. I was wondering whether the TV director messed the boat up intentionally to make it look fare worse than it actually was, for the sake of "better" television.

My son's first boat looked like this when he bought it - if anything, a bit worse! Three otherwise 'homeless' men had been living in it, getting drunk and doing drugs most of the time. Then one of them came 'home' drunk one night and fell in the canal and drowned. The owner of the boat became disheartened after that and sold it to my son for not a lot of money. However, the clean-up job was a major operation, with no Aggie and co. Still, stripped out and disinfected, the boat was a beauty, and it was in good working order and BSS worthy underneath the filth and detritus.

Indeed, AJ, but the question is, how much of that clutter was pre-existing and how much was placed there by the TV people. All the boat's inhabitants looked clean and groomed, after all, which would not be likely if they had been living in squalor.

but the boat owner did have a lovely smile! ....and gorgeous children. Happy people.

I'd like to have seen the outcome?

Go to youtube and search 'nasty nasty narrowboat 2' there is also a part 3

I remember this! And my boat is very clean. I have OCD! :rolleyes: Always cleaning, vacuuming, dusting and cleaning windows/paintwork/the roof.

My newest OCD toy is a hand held 12v battery vaccuum. Love it! Means I can vacuum at any time of the day and night without having to get the big one out! Sad! :help:

That's fine for the adults, but what about the little girls, then aged 5 and 3? (They will be 9 and 5 approx. by now). If the boat really was in the state depicted in the film (which, we suspect, it wasn't) that would pose health risks for the wee mites.

That's fine for the adults, but what about the little girls, then aged 5 and 3? (They will be 9 and 5 approx. by now). If the boat really was in the state depicted in the film (which, we suspect, it wasn't) that would pose health risks for the wee mites.

Children survive worse, and in my opinion are far too molly coddled against germs now. Children need to build resistance.

and although they said the toilet was disgusting, it looked okay to me, too much blue in the rinse but no obvious deposits!

not sure if it was pump out or cassette, they didn't say ...laugh.gif

Edited by Chagall