Lazy Boater on River Nene

Featured Posts

This morning my husband Joe and Tree came along the Northampton arm on the River Nene, started at the 'Carlsberg' lock at 0530. Can I say to the boater who went through last thing yesterday 'PUT THE BLOODY PADDLES DOWN' you lazy inconsiderate arse!!!!! every lock had it's paddles up. Yes I know it takes age to wind them back down, however it is good manners to put them down after you have gone through so that the lock is ready for the next boat in...... gggrrr. Thats all :cheers:

This morning my husband Joe and Tree came along the Northampton arm on the River Nene, started at the 'Carlsberg' lock at 0530. Can I say to the boater who went through last thing yesterday 'PUT THE BLOODY PADDLES DOWN' you lazy inconsiderate arse!!!!! every lock had it's paddles up. Yes I know it takes age to wind them back down, however it is good manners to put them down after you have gone through so that the lock is ready for the next boat in...... gggrrr. Thats all :cheers:

If you've got as far Weston Favell, where the guillotine locks start, and found the same situation, then the Lazy Boater is a real felon: those locks are supposed to be left empty with the guillotine up (and the gate paddles down, obviously).

MP.

I'm confused, was this on the arm or on the river, and travelling in which direction? If you were travelling downriver he did yuo a favour because he should have left every lock empty with the guillotine open, in which case you'd have had to lower the guillotine, then raise the paddles, then wait for the lock to fill, before reaching the state he left them in for you. Or have I understood it all back-to-front?

I'm confused, was this on the arm or on the river, and travelling in which direction? If you were travelling downriver he did yuo a favour because he should have left every lock empty with the guillotine open, in which case you'd have had to lower the guillotine, then raise the paddles, then wait for the lock to fill, before reaching the state he left them in for you. Or have I understood it all back-to-front?

She was heading downstream to Billing Marina, I suspect that 'Carlsberg' refers to the bottom lock(17) on the arm. As for taken ages to wind down, The lock gearing has been changed sometime a go. Ten years back it was 60 turns, now about ten. As for the 'lazy boater' you find him overstaying on the B&Q moorings with a very large dog. He is well known to the EA, BW and the town council.

Firesprite

In the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

I don't know where the B&Q moorings are, but a long narrowboat came past us at Weston Favell that evening at 9.30pm and went on through the lock. We also found the bottom paddles up when we came through earlier that evening, so that was two of them at it!

The locks in question I think are Rush Mill and Abington where boaters can leave either top or bottom gates open on exit, but not the paddles!

Northampton arm ? River Nene ? confusing, I under stand the Northampton arm otherwise known as the Rothersthorpe flight to be B W water known as canal. Carlsberg Lock didn"t know there was such a lock do you mean Becketts park ? You are very confusing!

B+Q moorings are on the River Nene but not the main drag, turn left out of the Canal arm instead of right and the pontoon is up stream on your right.

Edited by ditch paddler

I guess this is the 'Carlsberg Lock', according to the 'No Problem' blog of 29th March this is "just as you drop down on to the River Nene".

I don't know the area at all, it was just a coincidence I saw the picture earlier today.

HTH

140.jpg

:) Yes! thats it and its quite near to Lock 17, the last one on the Northampton Arm flight of 17 locks :) It was very hard going and without Joe's help I would probably be still there lol ( :cheers: Joe :)

All it needs is for everyone to follow the correct procedure at ALL types of LOCKS, that way we are all HAPPY BOATERS and can enjoy our cruise ( Mind you after doing them locks I have muscles like a Russian Shotputter lol :)

I guess this is the 'Carlsberg Lock', according to the 'No Problem' blog of 29th March this is "just as you drop down on to the River Nene".

I don't know the area at all, it was just a coincidence I saw the picture earlier today.

HTH

140.jpg

That is Carlsberg but as for Carlsberg lock ? where in that picture of Carlsberg brewery is a lock?

Edited by ditch paddler

Northampton arm ? River Nene ? confusing, I under stand the Northampton arm otherwise known as the Rothersthorpe flight to be B W water known as canal. Carlsberg Lock didn"t know there was such a lock do you mean Becketts park ? You are very confusing!

B+Q moorings are on the River Nene but not the main drag, turn left out of the Canal arm instead of right and the pontoon is up stream on your right.

The B&Q moorings are the ones that are really badly assembled by some amateur with a few power tools and some cheap T&G.

The B&Q moorings are the ones that are really badly assembled by some amateur with a few power tools and some cheap T&G.

yikes lol it wernt me ;) as with my many tool boxes and it would have been perfick ;)soldid oak and brass screws hahhaa... pity I missed you on the way passing by Dominic as I would have stopped for a cuppa and a natter, I did call out as I passed but a chap said you were still bringing a boat back, never mind next time :)

The Lock in question is indeed LOCK 17 only called Carlsberg one as it was easier for me to give directions to my cover man :)

edited for typos (shush matty lol i have had a very busy day at work ;)

Edited by tree

I would not call the B&Q moorings badly assembled. When built 11 years back, They cost over 10K and were paid for by B&Q.

Useful moorings, If these swatters were moved, The one in the background has been there over two years.

bqmooringsnorthampton.jpg

bqmooringsnorthampton2.jpg

bqmooringsnorthampton3.jpg

Firesprite

In the office

I would not call the B&Q moorings badly assembled. When built 11 years back, They cost over 10K and were paid for by B&Q.

Useful moorings, If these swatters were moved, The one in the background has been there over two years.

bqmooringsnorthampton.jpg

bqmooringsnorthampton2.jpg

bqmooringsnorthampton3.jpg

Firesprite

In the office

Errrrm, it was supposed to be joke :)

Errrrm, it was supposed to be joke :)

I was lead to believe, You were referring to the crudely built fishing stages around the corner by the 'Horse Pis* Brewery.

Firesprite

In the wet and windy Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite