Boat Insurance

KirraMisha

Featured Posts

I have just been looking through the boat insurance policy and wonder is there really any point in having it as it excludes more than a boat survey in terms of liabilities and get outs and thats saying something!

I have a plastic boat so would I be right in thinking if someone crushes my boat in a narrow boat its their insurance that gets claimed on not mine?

I also noticed no personal effects that are worth anything like laptops and mobile phones are covered!

What else is the insurance for?

No legal costs are covered.

I do apologise in advance as this is really a wet behind the ears question.

I am sure I must be missing something.

Edited by KirraMisha

It would depend on who your policy is with, how much it cost you, whether you paid for any contents insurance when you took it out etc and whether you have had a full survey to go with the insurance.

3rd party, you can still do a lot of damage to other boats or infrastructure so will not be far short of Full cover.

Mine , fully comp, boat and contents for 70ft boat liveaboard is only £270 a year and that covers my contents too.

It may also may depend on whether you are moored near a field full of pikeys and have declared this...

;)

It would depend on who your policy is with, how much it cost you, whether you paid for any contents insurance when you took it out etc and whether you have had a full survey to go with the insurance.

3rd party, you can still do a lot of damage to other boats or infrastructure so will not be far short of Full cover.

Mine , fully comp, boat and contents for 70ft boat liveaboard is only £270 a year and that covers my contents too.

It may also may depend on whether you are moored near a field full of pikeys and have declared this...

;)

Lol that made me laugh Matty, the last bit I'm not going to live it down by the looks of things.

thanks.

I have just been looking through the boat insurance policy and wonder is there really any point in having it as it excludes more than a boat survey in terms of liabilities and get outs and thats saying something!

I have a plastic boat so would I be right in thinking if someone crushes my boat in a narrow boat its their insurance that gets claimed on not mine?

I also noticed no personal effects that are worth anything like laptops and mobile phones are covered!

What else is the insurance for?

No legal costs are covered.

I do apologise in advance as this is really a wet behind the ears question.

I am sure I must be missing something.

I strongly suspect that boat insurance, like all other insurance, generally reflects the principle 'that one gets what one pays for'

(And that's not a criticism of you, by the way)

I have recently bought insurance for our boat, after several weeks of research, quotes and conversations.

I have paid a great deal for our policy this year, but the level of cover is excellent, (and includes personal effects on and off the boat) - but one pays an additional premium for that of course.

(You'll also get some responses to your post suggesting that all insurance is expensive / is a con / is a rip-off / is unnecessary / is the best thing since white sliced bread.!)

There isn't a right / or / wrong response - - but one thing is certain - if one wants good levels of cover - the premium increases

If one is prepared to take the risk that one won't need insurance - then the premium decreases.

Thanks for the reply Grace and Favour.

The thing that worries me is injury to someone else by misfortune.

If an insurance firm is happy to duck out of covering laptop theft then how will they behave in a claim of injury is my consearn.

After all material objects can be replaced and I could swallow that.

I suppose I am asking for a decent recommendation please.

Thanks for the reply Grace and Favour.

The thing that worries me is injury to someone else by misfortune.

If an insurance firm is happy to duck out of covering laptop theft then how will they behave in a claim of injury is my consearn.

After all material objects can be replaced and I could swallow that.

I suppose I am asking for a decent recommendation please.

Hmm, I fear that you may have a suspect opinion of insurance companies . . . . . (many do, by the way!)

There are a number of Insurance companies, and brokers that cover the boating market.

Most of them advertise in the boating mags & Newspapers.

The problem with asking for/giving advice about whom to place your business with is that different policyholders (may) want different things . .

. . .and different Insurers may well look for different types of customer (the car insurers are wonderful examples of this)

I'll happily share with you (details of) my last two insurers if you wish (I'll do it pm) - but our two boats or our individual needs may possibly be different.

All I would say is that if you want insurance - it's been my experience that the more you research and explore all avenues, the better the deal one eventually arrives at.

Edited by Grace & Favour

There are insurance policies to meet all needs and budgets out there you just need to pick the right one that suits your needs.

We have been with N&G for the last three years, currently in their fourth year, because their policy covers everything we need and want it to. They have tailored their standard policy to suit our ever needs (mainly coastal useage clauses). When we did have a potential claim gainst us they were extremely helpful and guided us along the way. Our current policy costs us £160 with 3 years no claims.

Edited by Phylis

There are insurance policies to meet all needs and budgets out there you just need to pick the right one that suits your needs.

We have been with N&G for the last three years, currently in their fourth year, because their policy covers everything we need and want it to. They have tailored their standard policy to suit our ever needs (mainly coastal useage clauses). When we did have a potential claim gainst us they were extremely helpful and guided us along the way. Our current policy costs us £160 with 3 years no claims.

You buy your props yourself?

;)

No the problem arises when you asked for an iced bun, paid for an iced bun, but when eventually you get home and open the packet, there's no icing....

Ah - well - - I can offer no guarantees for you I'm afraid . . . . (I'm no Master Baker - though some think I am!)

That's the possible flaw of insurance companies in all markets bakers everywhere, all one can do is spend an inordinate amount of time researching and speaking to the bakers, and reading their small print.

You may well be right - and only ever buy, and pay for, non-iced buns - arranging to apply your own icing in your own time - - such are decisions in the world of confectionery consumption.

There have been a couple, only a couple, of occasions in my life when I've claimed upon insurance - and have been extremely relieved that I was so insured.

I accept that insurance is expensive if one doesn't use it . . .

It can be extremely cheap if one has to use it. .

You buy your props yourself?

;)

The OH refurbs them if they are not too badly damaged failing that they go away for repair at £40 per prop. It isnt worth claiming on the insurance when the excess if £75 anyway :cheers:

Less than any accidental damage excess perhaps??

The excess is £75 and the cost for prop repair varies from £0 if the OH can do them to £80 if we send them away. It just isnt worth claiming.