Atherstone Top Lock

jelunga

Featured Posts

On the tow path side at Atherstone Top Lock, there is a horizontally mounted pulley wheel. Maybe it is to assist closing the gate, but does anybody know what it is for?

And yes, the side pond at Lock 8 still works so please use it!

I always do and have been known to show other booaters how to use it too - The people in the cottage there don't like you using it though. If the side pond is over filled they say it floods their cellar???

Edited by cheshire~rose

I always do and have been known to show other booaters how to use it too - The people in the cottage there don't like you using it though. If the side pond is over filled they say it floods their cellar???

Cannot see that since the side pond seems to form the by wash. it fills up from the top side of the lock and overflows at the tail.

I suppose if the overflow got blocked it might but then that would happen whether it was used or not. Most of the other side ponds on the flight would not need too much work to restore. How about it CaRT? Fix all side ponds and save water!

I have seen pulleys on lock sides where they made it easier for the horse by directing the towline. There is a hook in the bridge above the lock halfway up Johnsons Hillock Locks which acted as a pulley. As the bridge did not have a towpath, the towline was passed around the hook, the horse then walking in the opposite direction to the boat before casting off the line and turning round to cross the road to get to the towpath on the other side of the bridge. It's difficult to say what your pulley is about without a photo.

I have seen pulleys on lock sides where they made it easier for the horse by directing the towline. There is a hook in the bridge above the lock halfway up Johnsons Hillock Locks which acted as a pulley. As the bridge did not have a towpath, the towline was passed around the hook, the horse then walking in the opposite direction to the boat before casting off the line and turning round to cross the road to get to the towpath on the other side of the bridge. It's difficult to say what your pulley is about without a photo.

I think you have it. After the top lock there is a basin opening out on both sides. If the horse carried straight on he/she would get their hooves wet. The pulley will allow them to do a U'y and turn back whilst still pulling the boat into the lcok. Makes sense. Thanks.

now, how can I harness SWMBO

• 2 weeks later...

Just an observation I believe pulley wheels were used to assist haulage, with the boat lines fitting on to the wheel groove where an angle or corner was required to be negotiated. I seem to recall seeing a wheel at Blackburn on the Leeds & Liverpool. Now at Atherstone there was a side basin, towpath side. This had early canalside warehouses and prior to the extension to Fazeley was the terminus of the Coventry Canal. Is it possible that the wheel was required to assist a boat turning into or out of this basin.

Ray Shill

On the tow path side at Atherstone Top Lock, there is a horizontally mounted pulley wheel. Maybe it is to assist closing the gate, but does anybody know what it is for?

So if you use the side pond you only use half the amount of water. this results in only a half lock full of water going down to fill the next lock down. Not quite true because when you use the lock above you send a lock full down, twice as much as you need on lock 8 so half of it just flows over the bywash. Water saved by using lock 8 side pond = Zero

when you use the lock above you send a lock full down, twice as much as you need on lock 8 so half of it just flows over the bywash. Water saved by using lock 8 side pond = Zero

Only true if the pound between locks 7 and 8 is already full, which it rarely is these days. So, most of the time, Water Saved = half a lockful.

When you use the side pond where does the water go ?? Does it go into the canal below the lock.

Going down, the water goes into the side pond. Going up, it comes from the side pond into the lock

Richard