Bulb gone?

Ray

Featured Posts

I'm fairly certain the bulb illuminating the main dial on the tacho on my Beta "de-luxe" panel has blown - it certainly doesn't appear to be working.

Before I dismantle the boat to get to the bulb does anyone know how easy the bulbs are to remove/replace and what bulbs they are? I tried reaching around the back of the panel but could seem to release the bulb.

Many thanks.

I'm fairly certain the bulb illuminating the main dial on the tacho on my Beta "de-luxe" panel has blown - it certainly doesn't appear to be working.

Before I dismantle the boat to get to the bulb does anyone know how easy the bulbs are to remove/replace and what bulbs they are? I tried reaching around the back of the panel but could seem to release the bulb.

Many thanks.

I think you will find its a white cap you twist to remove the bulb - but you may need some tweezers to reach the bulbs.

Alex

Many thanks.

I think you will find its a white cap you twist to remove the bulb - but you may need some tweezers to reach the bulbs.

Available from Halfords at an arm + leg

Alex

My Beta tacho has 2 bulbs that are tinted red. Got them from a local motorist shop. Actually one red and one orange as thats all he had!

Type 286

Piece of cake to change.

Edited by pearley

Many thanks.

All mine are gone, but I don't boat in the dark.

Handy in tunnels though - EH? cheers.gif

Alex

My thought entirely (and I do boat in the dark outside of tunnels occasionally, often when BW fail to notify me of something :P )

My Beta tacho has 2 bulbs that are tinted red. Got the from a local motorist shop. Actually one redd and one orange as thats all he had!

Type 286

Piece of cake to change.

Do they twist or simply pull out (or both)?

Handy in tunnels though - EH? cheers.gif

Alex

What do you need to see the panel for in a tunnel. The revs are obvious and we all know the sound of the engine and if anything else packs in the appropriate buzzer/lamp will come on... :cheers:

My thought entirely (and I do boat in the dark outside of tunnels occasionally, often when BW fail to notify me of something :P )

Do they twist or simply pull out (or both)?

Hi

Twist half a turn if I remember correctly.

I had to buy white bulbs but they are OK - you wont notice.

Just found this Its Barrus Shire but they use the same rev counter

Bulb replacement

Release the panel from its mounting

1. To replace a tacho meter illumination bulb.

a. The tacho bulb is accessible from the rear of the panel and is retained by a black

plastic holder with a bayonet fitting. This can be gently removed by rotating with a

pair of pointed nose pliers.

2. To replace a warning light bulb.

a. The warning light bulbs are accessible from rear of the panel.

The bulb retainers (3 off) are simply prized from their retaining block.

3. To replace a Gauge illumination bulb. (Deluxe panel only)

a. Unscrew and pull out the instrument panel.

b. The illumination bulb holder is a push fit in the rear of the gauge.

c. The capless bulb is a push fit in the holder.

4. To replace a Gauge warning light bulb. (Deluxe panel only)

a. Unscrew and pull out the instrument panel.

b. The warning light bulb holder is a push fit in the rear of the gauge, but is retained

by a plastic clip. Gently push the clip to one side to release the holder.

c. The capless bulb is a push fit in the holder.

d. Ensure that on refitting, the bulb holder is retained by the clip; you should confirm

correct positioning when the clip “clicks” when locked.

Alex

Although I boat a bit, I don't use the boat for weeks on end. I have a reasonable idea of what the engine sounds like in the open but the acoustics in tunnels vary and my hearing isn't what it used to be. I find the tacho gives me a form of re-assurance, especially when I'm trying to gauge lower (rather than higher) speeds when following someone who is crawling through a tunnel

Alex

Many thanks. It looks like I shall have to remove the panel from its mount, something I was hoping to avoid.

Hi

Twist half a turn if I remember correctly.

I had to buy white bulbs but they are OK - you wont notice.

Alex

Yes, twist it half a turn and remove the bulb holder then pull the bulb out of the holder. It is noticeable if you replace them with white bulbs if you have voltmeter, oil pressure and water temp illuminated red. On my tacho, you can notice that one side is illuminated a different colour than the other.

Before I retired I was an auto electrician. There are 4 or 5 different colours of 286 bulb but I found a felt tip pen very useful in changing clear to something else.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Many thanks everyone. I hope to be at the boat early next week and will have a go at removing the errant bulb.

Checking on a well known Internet auction site :closedeyes: I see the majority appear to be 1.2w which is not the 2w rating that Sir Nibble mentions (although I recognise that 1.2w will throw out even less heat [and light] than the 2w version).

Can I confirm that the original is red just so that I can go armed with the replacement and fit it there and then?

Can I confirm that the original is red just so that I can go armed with the replacement and fit it there and then?

My panel with tacho and 3 other guages definitely illuminates red, except for one half of the tacho which is now orange!

1.2w is correct.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

Although I boat a bit, I don't use the boat for weeks on end. I have a reasonable idea of what the engine sounds like in the open but the acoustics in tunnels vary and my hearing isn't what it used to be. I find the tacho gives me a form of re-assurance, especially when I'm trying to gauge lower (rather than higher) speeds when following someone who is crawling through a tunnel

Alex

Many thanks. It looks like I shall have to remove the panel from its mount, something I was hoping to avoid.

I just slow down if I start catching them up, some times even put it out of gear.

Many thanks everyone. I hope to be at the boat early next week and will have a go at removing the errant bulb.

Checking on a well known Internet auction site :closedeyes: I see the majority appear to be 1.2w which is not the 2w rating that Sir Nibble mentions (although I recognise that 1.2w will throw out even less heat [and light] than the 2w version).

Hi

I have just removed my rev counter because of a faulty hour counter.

You will definitely need some large tweezers / forceps / thin long nose pliers to be able to reach down inside the hole and turn them.

Alex