What paint to use.

Featured Posts

Hello.

Should i repaint my boat using the expensive marine paints or good domestic paint such as Dulux trade gloss?

It was originally painted with Masons paint then International Ranch paint. One of the colours is Goosewing which I can only find in Dulux.

Tried searching but cannot find any information.

Many thanks

John

Hello.

Should i repaint my boat using the expensive marine paints or good domestic paint such as Dulux trade gloss?

It was originally painted with Masons paint then International Ranch paint. One of the colours is Goosewing which I can only find in Dulux.

Many thanks

John

Hi

Could This help?

Alex

Hello.

I'm not sure about ordinary gloss because it may not be flexible enough and may crack over time.

I've used International 10 Year Gloss which is a domestic paint for front doors, etc. It's about half the price of marine paints but I think it's quite good.

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/10_year_exterior_gloss.jsp

Another one that's meant to be good is Dulux Weathershield.

I'm not sure about ordinary gloss because it may not be flexible enough and may crack over time.

I've used International 10 Year Gloss which is a domestic paint for front doors, etc. It's about half the price of marine paints but I think it's quite good.

http://www.international-paints.co.uk/products/info/10_year_exterior_gloss.jsp

Another one that's meant to be good is Dulux Weathershield.

Yep I concur on the International 10 year gloss. I painted the 3 wooden bits on the stern of my boat a year ago. The central piece I painted in Sikkams maroon, I cant remember the exact colour, and the two outside bits I painted in International 10 year gloss Oxford Blue. The Sikkams rubbish peeled away after about 9 months but the International is still solid.

Pete

Hi

Could This help?

Alex

Thank you. Problem is that they do not do a light grey equivalent to Goosewing, I need to match that as I am not doing a total reprint.

Looks like the International 10 year is the way to go. It is probably compatible with the Internatinal Oxford Blue that is already on the boat

Edited by Ratty's Retreat

Thank you. Problem is that they do not do a light grey equivalent to Goosewing, I need to match that as I am not doing a total reprint.

Looks like the International 10 year is the way to go. It is probably compatible with the Internatinal Oxford Blue that is already on the boat

If you want to buy good, traditional paint, Craftmaster do a colour matching bespoke service - -( I think) it's only £5 plus whatever volume of paint you buy

so you could get Goosewing, Goosetailfeather, Gooseunderbelly or whatever else you wanted

Dulux Weathershield can be mixed to any colour you want - there are hundreds/thousands of colour options. B&Q used to do it but they seem to be changing over to Valspar about which i know nothing.

Edited by ChrisPy

Dulux Weathershield can be mixed to any colour you want - there are hundreds/thousands of colour options. B&Q used to do it but they seem to be changing over to Valspar about which i know nothing.

I use Brewers who mix several brands of paint. They have branches throughout the south of the country:-

http://www.brewers.co.uk/branch-locator/

Hello.

Many thanks

John

Personally I would re-paint in 2 pack. Far superior than any 'traditional' paint in my opinion.

Thinking about it if 2 pack hull blacking is superior than bitumin based products then it would make sense to paint the top half in something that is based on similar chemistry!

Edited by bag 'o' bones

If you want to buy good, traditional paint, Craftmaster do a colour matching bespoke service - -( I think) it's only £5 plus whatever volume of paint you buy

so you could get Goosewing, Goosetailfeather, Gooseunderbelly or whatever else you wanted

Actually there is no extra charge for colour matching.

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Many thanks

John

i wouldn't... I tried it and regretted it. Try Craftmaster.. bloomin brilliant paint..

Hello.

Many thanks

John