Wolverton Iron Trunk Aqueduct

stagedamager

Featured Posts

Evening all!

Lily-Mae decided she would take me to the open day today at the Iron Trunk aqueduct at Wolverton, which had been laid on to show the restoration progress. I have to say, the aqueduct was looking alot better than in previous years, and a nice turn out of people and boats..... In fact i'm pretty sure i caught a glimpse of Alan Fincher campaigning for the election in the Engine 'ole of "Southern Cross".........

Some photos of the day (not the best, taken on iphone!):

Front half of "Southern Cross"

IMG_0441.jpg

"Purton"

IMG_0442.jpg

View to the East

IMG_0448.jpg

View to the West looking across the original river crossing

IMG_0447.jpg

The lesser spotted Pedestrian tunnel!

IMG_0450.jpg

Brief Glimpse of the Aqueduct from below

IMG_0451.jpg

Route of the original flight south of the river

IMG_0455.jpg

Lily-Mae deciding that her hat made her look silly!

IMG_0444.jpg

Anyone else manage to make it on the day?

In fact i'm pretty sure i caught a glimpse of Alan Fincher campaigning for the election in the Engine 'ole of "Southern Cross".........

The election was never mentioned - I promise.

The common ground I (and Sickle) have with the new owner (of Southern Cross) is that both were restored by the same family, and both are Lister HA3 powered.

We were comparing notes about HA3s, including when they decide to go "smoky" and when not, and where the oil seems to come out of!

He is apparently yet another one who has broken a wrist when an HA3 kicked back on him whilst hand-starting. That makes the third I have talked to, so I'm now a little nervous of even trying.

I actually learnt things today that I probably should have known already. Like the current line of Cosgrove lock is because it is on the alignment of the original locks that were in place across the valley until the aqueduct was built.

One bit of good news is that the unsightly gas pipeline that marrs the view of one side of the aqueduct, (apparently not used in many years), is to be removed as part of this project. That coupled with the planned repainting should immensely improve how it all looks from down below.

The election was never mentioned - I promise.

The common ground I (and Sickle) have with the new owner (of Southern Cross) is that both were restored by the same family, and both are Lister HA3 powered.

We were comparing notes about HA3s, including when they decide to go "smoky" and when not, and where the oil seems to come out of!

He is apparently yet another one who has broken a wrist when an HA3 kicked back on him whilst hand-starting. That makes the third I have talked to, so I'm now a little nervous of even trying.

I actually learnt things today that I probably should have known already. Like the current line of Cosgrove lock is because it is on the alignment of the original locks that were in place across the valley until the aqueduct was built.

One bit of good news is that the unsightly gas pipeline that marrs the view of one side of the aqueduct, (apparently not used in many years), is to be removed as part of this project. That coupled with the planned repainting should immensely improve how it all looks from down below.

The Parrotts do do good restoration jobs, both Sickle and Southern Cross look mighty fine in my opinion. I agree it was an interesting day, i never knew there was a pedestrian tunnel there, or a mock up of a lock on the original line, i'm glad Lily-Mae took me!!!!!

I'd probably steer clear of handstarting the HA3, i've no experience, but like you say, the evidence is there!!!

Glad to hear the pipeline is going, the views are spectacular there, and so rural considering how close you are to MK, all in all, Lovely!!

Dan

Here's some pictures from us......

It is still in primers or undercoat, it has yet to be repainted in its three colour scheme. The painting is being done by abseiling.

DSCF5413.jpg

A lock dummied up on the line of the originals.....

IMG_1335.jpg

I'm rather taller than this foot tunnel......

IMG_1339.jpg

Soon it should not be necessary to stand this close to avoid having the gas pipeline in the picure!

IMG_1344.jpg

Apparently the underside of it has never been painted in the 200 yeras of its existence......

IMG_1347.jpg

Looking back over the aqueduct towards the church.....

DSCF5430.jpg

"Large Northwich" Purton

DSCF5432.jpg

And "Small Woolwich" Southern Cross

DSCF5431.jpg

Nice shots Alan. Pity it's going to get coloured up. Looks much nicer in grey primer, you look at the structure for what it is rather than have your senses assaulted with strong distracting colours. Could you imagine the Forth Bridge mulit-coloured! All black would be wrong, but grey works well.

Should have painted TYCHO grey. That would have upset some . . . Others would say it's bad enough blue. Single colours enhance naturally beautiful shapes, though it would be a dull world if all were grey.

Never have seen the underpassage, nor the lock flight. One day maybe.

Edit: In Stagedamager's shot of the underpassage, are they remnants of a former tramway, or something else?

Edited by Derek R.

Nice shots Alan. Pity it's going to get coloured up. Looks much nicer in grey primer, you look at the structure for what it is rather than have your senses assaulted with strong distracting colours. Could you imagine the Forth Bridge mulit-coloured! All black would be wrong, but grey works well.

Should have painted TYCHO grey. That would have upset some . . . Others would say it's bad enough blue. Single colours enhance naturally beautiful shapes, though it would be a dull world if all were grey.

Never have seen the underpassage, nor the lock flight. One day maybe.

Edit: In Stagedamager's shot of the underpassage, are they remnants of a former tramway, or something else?

On the quayside at Cosgrove Locks there are also rail remnants imbeded in the concrete where the trip boat is normally moored. They were to serve a local quarry I believe. I knew about and have used the horse tunnel in Cosgrove itself. Where abouts is this other one ?

On the quayside at Cosgrove Locks there are also rail remnants imbeded in the concrete where the trip boat is normally moored. They were to serve a local quarry I believe. I knew about and have used the horse tunnel in Cosgrove itself. Where abouts is this other one ?

If you can imagine......Immediately after crossing the aqueduct in the direction of Cosgrove take the footpath down towards the river. Before you get to the river you will then see the tunnel. There is also the remnants of the diesel pumping engine which used to take water from the river to the canal. The water pipe still pokes out fro the towpath. Don't know when it was last used.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

According to the Alan Faulkener history of the GU, there is one of these tunnels through the embankment on both sides of the river, and they are "cattle creeps".

As to Derek's comments about colours, they claim to have analysed paint samples, including looking at a "cross section" like rings in a tree, to see what the authentic colours should be.

Authentic colours for when though, wasn't that clear!

According to the Alan Faulkener history of the GU, there is one of these tunnels through the embankment on both sides of the river, and they are "cattle creeps".

As to Derek's comments about colours, they claim to have analysed paint samples, including looking at a "cross section" like rings in a tree, to see what the authentic colours should be.

Authentic colours for when though, wasn't that clear!

Yes there are, I forgot the one on the Wolverton side which is strange as it takes the public footpath under the canal..DOH!

Regards

Ditchdabbler

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have gone if it had meant I could see the inside of the trunk properly.

They're de-watering the Grafton Street aqueduct on 13th-15th March, I'll go and take pictures of that.

I went along to have a look just now - there's no work at the aqueduct itself, and it's not de-watered. There was some activity 200 yards north at the stop-plank narrows, but I didn't go and look there.