Windscreen wiper pumps

Smelly

Featured Posts

Now comes the time to buy the pumps for my solar thermal. To keep the expense down I'm looking at windscreen wiper pumps; a lot are advertised as generic (at least on fleabay) and I was wondering what size pipe I can expect to use.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Dan

Edited by Smelly

Now comes the time to buy the pumps for my solar thermal. To keep the expense down I'm looking at windscreen wiper pumps; a lot are advertised as generic (at least on fleabay) and I was wondering what size pipe I can expect to use.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Dan

I assume that you are talking about screen washer pumps.

Not sure about the exact size but it will be small - perhaps 4mm ID.

However all those I have taken apart use a small Jabsco like impeller and I have doubts as to their life. They have also all used brushes so thats another wear point. I also think that you need to assure yourself that their duty cycle will be adequate for what you propose. I doubt a design for 30 seconds running every few hours or days will stand up to running for many hours.

Sorry not to be help and being negative.

Don't apologise Tony; that was a very useful bit of advice and one I will take into account... Thank you!

ETA; I do want an impeller pump as it'll be a lot quieter; I hope it will be running quite a lot during the summer :)

Edited by Smelly

Sounds as if your best bet would be some sort of aquarium pump - they're designed to run 24/7.

Not at high temp though; using the pre heat tank idea I'll have one pump running at temps up to 80 odd degrees C

Not at high temp though; using the pre heat tank idea I'll have one pump running at temps up to 80 odd degrees C

Johnson do a mag-drive CH circulation pump which ISTR has a max temp in excess of 80C. They ain't cheap but mine has been going OK for over 10 years now. Or there's always a Bolin....

N

These look better

My link

There are some similar cheaper ones on ebay but sent from Hong kong

The ones I've bought are from solar project.... I suspect they import from that Chinese place but there's so little in the price difference that the delivery time swings it...

Johnson do a mag-drive CH circulation pump which ISTR has a max temp in excess of 80C. They ain't cheap but mine has been going OK for over 10 years now. Or there's always a Bolin....

N

They ain't cheap says it all....

I assume that you are talking about screen washer pumps.

Not sure about the exact size but it will be small - perhaps 4mm ID.

However all those I have taken apart use a small Jabsco like impeller and I have doubts as to their life. They have also all used brushes so thats another wear point. I also think that you need to assure yourself that their duty cycle will be adequate for what you propose. I doubt a design for 30 seconds running every few hours or days will stand up to running for many hours.

Forgive me for such ignorance, but stumbled across thread and not sure what pump has to achieve, my guess which could be way off on another tangent but have you concidered a s/hand electric coolant pump from a car ? Screen washer pumps ltd to short 5 second blasts

Have you looked at the small electric water pumps made by Bosch and used on certain Mercedes cars, among others, to run the heater. They are 12v, rated at high temperatures and have around 16mm pipe connections. Not cheap new but a few quid from a scrappy.

John.

Oops just seen above post. That will teach me to read to the end of a thread before posting!

Edited by Ratty's Retreat
  • Greenie 1