Blacking

Uncle Arthur

Featured Posts

Hello all,

New to the forum having been scrutinising posts for a week or two but now need some help/opinions from the experts!

Looks as though we are about to buy our first nb - it was surveyed today and the verbal report from the surveyor is "OK but there are definite signs of rust, needs blacking; nothing serious noted but wait for my written report".

We are under pressure from the yard where it has been surveyed to give instructions to them to have the boat blacked whilst it is out of the water to save ourselves the cost of a future lift - the following questions spring to mind:

1. How can we instruct anyone to carry out work on a boat that does not, as yet, belong to us?

2. Is it normal for the purchaser to pay for the blacking?

3. What would be the expected/average cost of the blacking (it's a 57' boat)?

4. Should we insist on waiting till we see the written survey report?

Any advice gratefully received.

Arthur

Hello all,

New to the forum having been scrutinising posts for a week or two but now need some help/opinions from the experts!

Looks as though we are about to buy our first nb - it was surveyed today and the verbal report from the surveyor is "OK but there are definite signs of rust, needs blacking; nothing serious noted but wait for my written report".

We are under pressure from the yard where it has been surveyed to give instructions to them to have the boat blacked whilst it is out of the water to save ourselves the cost of a future lift - the following questions spring to mind:

1. How can we instruct anyone to carry out work on a boat that does not, as yet, belong to us?

Arthur

Its a tough one as you dont own the boat. Ballpark figure to include having the blacking done is 600 ish quid. It varies everywhere or you could have it docked and do it yourself for 3/400 ish and I like doing it cos I am weird. If you realy want the boat I would suggest a fone call to whoever owns it o broker if thats the way you have gone and if sense can be achieved then ask boatyard to do it now as it will save you money. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Hello all,

Arthur

It's not unusual to get the boat blacked whilst it has been out for a survey but only if you are 100% happy with the survey and have signed up to buy it. The fact that the boat yard may wish to drop it back in is more likely to do with their timetable. You may be able to strike a deal with the seller to include blacking and now may be a good time to strike...

Hello all,

Arthur

Lots of people do have it blacked while out if they are happy with the survey as it does as they say save another lift out. I suppose it depends on whether you have agreed a price. You could ask the seller if he will pay if its all you intend to barter over. Even if you didn't buy it, it would add value for the seller.

Hello all,

Arthur

My view is this.

Presumably you have made an offer on the boat subject to survey. You should try to negotiate with the vendor to either get them to pay for the blacking or offer a price reduction.

If you do not yet own the boat I would be loath to part with my money until I did, and certainly not until I had seen the full survey report.

Cost? We are having our 59ft one done next month at stowe Hill. They are charging £8.50 per foot.

Is it normal for the purchases? Nothing is normal. If you want it done and the vendor will not pay you have to ask yourself shall I pay or no buy the boat.

I feel the boatyard is putting a little undue pressure on you, but if you are comitted to buying the boat "subject to survey" they may be trying to save you money. A lot depends on what their price for the job is though!

Its a tough one as you dont own the boat. Ballpark figure to include having the blacking done is 600 ish quid. It varies everywhere or you could have it docked and do it yourself for 3/400 ish and I like doing it cos I am weird. If you realy want the boat I would suggest a fone call to whoever owns it o broker if thats the way you have gone and if sense can be achieved then ask boatyard to do it now as it will save you money. Hope this helps. :cheers:

Thanks Mr Smelly - any and all info/advice helps.

Next question then is this - how long can we expect the blacking to last?

Impressed with the speed of reply - nice to know there is someone out there ready to help a newbie with little knowledge.

Arthur

Ooo, Mr. Do you want to black my bottom then?

(I said black not spank!)

Impressed with the speed of reply - nice to know there is someone out there ready to help a newbie with little knowledge.

Arthur

Depends on how it is blacked, ours is old fashioned bitchumin so we are thinking ever two to three years. but also it will depend on usuage and heavy knocks.

Welcome to the forum

Depends on how it is blacked, ours is old fashioned bitchumin so we are thinking ever two to three years. but also it will depend on usuage and heavy knocks.

Welcome to the forum

OK - need to show even more ignorance now!

Should we specify/ask for a particular type of blacking?

Arthur welcome.

On average a boat is blacked every other year, so it will last 2 years some people push it to three, some to four, when you own the boat it will be your choice.

Nothing to do with boats is black or white. ;)

Arthur

We like to be helpfull :help: It will depend greatly on type of paint used ( a whole other thread ) we are all so far assuming cheapo which is good. And very greatly on where the boat is used ( Whats in the water ? ) and how often its cruising in narrow locks etc etc to knock lumps off. Every couple of years makes sense BUT I bought a boat on the oxford canal that the honest owner told me had not been docked for 18 years of his ownership and after buying it ( no survey ) took it to Johny Pinders for a check out and there was no corrosion whatsoever anywhere so who knows. Other boats I have seen at 10 years old have been rotten :unsure:

Blacking is like any other coverage . . .

It depends on how well the hull is prepared, the type/quality of the blacking used, how many coats are applied, (how well it's applied/allowed to dry/etc) and then how well you treat it (re knocks n scrapes) once it's in the water.

If you assume an average job will last 2 - 3 years, a really good job with grit-blasted hull and two pack epoxy could last 6 - 8 years

Pays yer money, makes yer choice

OK - need to show even more ignorance now!

Should we specify/ask for a particular type of blacking?

To be honest it's a bit of a 'length of string'question. Epoxy is meant to be best if done right but If i am correct, you would have to strip back every bit of exsisting bitchumin if that was on there before.

Personally my budget extends to bithumin every 2 - 3.

To be honest it's a bit of a 'length of string'question. Epoxy is meant to be best if done right but If i am correct, you would have to strip back every bit of exsisting bitchumin if that was on there before.

Personally my budget extends to bithumin every 2 - 3.

Id go for the cheaper option also. I had one boat grit blasted and epoxied and it cost me in excess of 2k for 65 foot. It has to be said that it sticks like you know what to a blanket and that price was ten years ago. I still docked it and blacked it after 3 years JUST IN CASE :wacko:

Our boat will be blacked with bithumin too.

When checking and comparing prices though check if it includes the bottom plates if you want this doing....

Never had the bottom plate doing and never had a problem. On the majority of our ditches today it would rub off in 8.4 seconds. Unless its a suspect boat with suspect steel the very usual place for corrosion is at and around the water line.

A lot depends on how well the blacking is done....which why we chose to do it ourselves. Might just be worth checking with the yard what their usual procedure is e.g preparation (pressure wash?), if there's obvious rust what if anything they do about it? what type/make of blacking? how many coats? time between coats? time before last coat and back in the water? Reactions to such questions can tell you a lot.

Edited by Québec

I had mine done after two years, 18 months later it needs doing again which will happen soon. It cost around 400 pounds. Friends here in Sowerby Bridge were paying that for crane out or dry dock and then doing it themselves. I don't know which is better but I expected it to last a few months longer. Mind you I cover a lot of miles, that may make a difference.

And then you have the choice of gloss or matt, or both.

I have seen all over glossed boats look terrible in the wrong light because the light shows up every tiny imperfection, but on a flawless boat can look superb.

When I did mine, I put 3 coats of matt all over, and then a coat of gloss from the gunnel down to the straker, about 12".

Although I say so myself, it looks great.

If you do end up blacking the boat I would suggest that you give serious thought to using two pack epoxy - it is available for DIY use - I have used it on my last two boats very sucessfully using a 4" roller. The product which I used has a grade designed for less than perfect surfaces and if the existing bitumen is almost dissapeared you would probably just need to give it a good rub down - I did this, together with three coats of epoxy on my current boat last year - we recently left our mooring in clear water and after a couple of miles came upon thick ice( averaging up to 1" in places) this lasted for some 40 minutes, with no opportunity to wind we just had to keep going, the epoxy is absolutely unmarked ! - I am sure that ordinary bitumen would have been abraded badly and needed a lift out and new blacking -- I rest my case !