nice little film of the Spey

djangobole

Featured Posts

A lovely video - but you have to question the intelligence of doing that without proper lifejackets. In those slippery conditions the chance of falling in is high, but more importantly, the severe cold and the heavy clothing will be enough to kill even the strongest swimmer.

A lovely video - but you have to question the intelligence of doing that without proper lifejackets. In those slippery conditions the chance of falling in is high, but more importantly, the severe cold and the heavy clothing will be enough to kill even the strongest swimmer.

Or you could just stand up and wait for the boat to come back for you - mind you there are some really deep bits along there. It however always very dangerous dealing with ice and boats, and you wouldn't catch me rocking the boat without holding on to something as well. On the straights I don't think it really helps much either.

The deck was gritted with the salt you see at the back end.

Mike

Given that Spey is wooden, with only relatively thin ice sheeting to protect her, it occurred to me that the video puts into perspective all the fretting that goes on about boats being damaged by other boats cruising past them when the cut is iced over.

• 1 month later...

She looks in a lot better condition than when I last saw her!

Wasn't she hog-backed?

Didn't Gary & Vera Aspey have a part-share in her at one time?

Wrong Clayton boat, they were involved with the Stour which is the sister boat to the Spey.