Accommodating guests on a 2 berth

roggie

Featured Posts

Has anyone any suggestions/recommendations for temporary sleeping facilities in the cabin? We have a fixed rear double but would like to let my mum use that whilst the misses and I kip down at the front. We've 2 nice armchairs so no room for a sofa bed and I was looking at something like this easier than a double inflatable I thought. Anyone any thoughts for double sleeping facilities that I haven't thought of. There only seems to be 2 types of double camp beds on the market. New (to us) boat so don't want to do anything until we are used to the layout as it is.

Edited by roggie

A bit different to us as you have a motive for a good solution, as you are sleeping on it! Our (22yo) daughter sleeps on the hard floor of the saloon on a camping map, and she complains, tush kids these days.

I would have thought that the blow up type are a good as anything, we have had them for camping in the past but they never seem to last very long. Depends if this is just a one off for a few days or a longer thing but there are some good examples to look at here.

Has anyone any suggestions/recommendations for temporary sleeping facilities in the cabin? We have a fixed rear double but would like to let my mum use that whilst the misses and I kip down at the front. We've 2 nice armchairs so no room for a sofa bed and I was looking at something like this easier than a double inflatable I thought. Anyone any thoughts for double sleeping facilities that I haven't thought of. There only seems to be 2 types of double camp beds on the market. New (to us) boat so don't want to do anything until we are used to the layout as it is.

Cross hammock on poles? something like the cross bunk that goes across the front of an old VW camper

Think if you have carpet already on the floor, then you have a comfort cushion already

I would buy a spongy mat from any good camping shop and have two sleeping bags joined togther or just another quilt. These can all be stored during the day and then easily assembled at night

I am seriously thinking about buying one of these for my van:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-ROOF-TOP-TENTS-NEW-/260853971456?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_HikingCamping_Tents_JN&var=&hash=item8265accaca

It will live on my boat and function as a part-time guest bedroom. Will be a bit choppy if the wind gets up though!

Edited by drunkensailor

Cross hammock on poles? something like the cross bunk that goes across the front of an old VW camper
What a splendidly excellent wheeze, Gary. I'd totally forgotten that brilliant idea from the '60s? The first Fiat Pandas had a canvas back seat in the early 80's that could be made up like that to sleep a child while driving. Now I know EXACTLY what I'll do with the old 14' barge pole that has seen better days and is due to be replaced. I love this forum. :cheers: Edited by Pentargon

My ma and pa used to sleep all six of us with no problems in the Devon camper, we were out in it more than we were at home.....tinned spuds and stew far cheaper than staying at home........and we visited everywhere.

The front seats were one bed, hammock above, main cabin was two or three at a squeeze. Two bunks up top. and last but not least the rear storage was used for the youngest of 4 for many a year.

Summer came and we had this big red and white striped tent,side thing that fitted the van, apparently it is still being used by someone.

I use one of these now clicky. I've had two or three of the 6in deep flock covered inflatable mattresses and they are crap. They deflate in the night like there is no tomorrow.

The one I have now is comfy and reliable, not a lot of money and reliable. The downside is it is only about 4ft wide so three quarter bed size. otherwise the thermarest mattresses are superb but much more expensive. You would need two but you can buy a pair of specially made tapes to tie them together (or use string - I've done that). Joined together they will still be only three quarter bed size though.

Amazon are selling double Aerobeds for £64.50p

I think the link you posted would be the best option. I've slept on the single version and they are surprisingly comfy. Having slept on the floor of the boat on a double blow up bed I wouldn't recommend it as a long term option. Even towards the end of summer it was soooo cold I hardly slept.

After years of sleeping in trucks, tents, train sheds and fields I can honestly say that the best thing that I have ever used and is still going is a double self inflating mattress that some rich kid left at Glasto. We splashed out on a outwell double sleeping bag this year and have both slept really well in some very odd places. I would try one of those camp beds out before you buy, i don't like em. And as has been said, don't bother with those blue inflatable things. failing that, drink a bottle of whiskey between you and you wont care!

What a splendidly excellent wheeze, Gary. I'd totally forgotten that brilliant idea from the '60s? The first Fiat Pandas had a canvas back seat in the early 80's that could be made up like that to sleep a child while driving. Now I know EXACTLY what I'll do with the old 14' barge pole that has seen better days and is due to be replaced. I love this forum. :cheers:

Yes and being at gunnel hight means you dont have to re-arrange an already cramped space to find room for an inflatable mattress. Plus of course you can crawl under it to get to the front doors, when your lazy guests are still snoring

What about a traditional sailors type hammock? Quick to put up and to take down and many sailors who slept in them reported that they used to get an excellent nights sleep. In fact a lot of sailors used to take their hammocks with them when they went on leave.

I'd suggest you speak to Cheshire~Rose and Postcode....we have borrowed their boat on occasions, and also stayed with them....they have a fixed double at the stern and a couple of very nice armchairs in the living area that convert to beds...

They are very well made and comfortable, but I'm pretty sure that they cost a packet....what a great night's sleep though!

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. The boat already has 2 nice chairs so we want something in addition to these. Went for a Aerobed 'super' mattress as I saw one on ebay - said it was new and only £40. We are going to the boat to stay for the first time tomorrow (Saturday) and will have the time (apart from the cleaning - boat not used for a year) to see what fits and what doesn't. Hopefully there will still be room for a single camp bed for our son. Don't want to change too much until we are used to it.