Trent Fishermen Deaths

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

It was sadly confirmed to us on Saturday morning that two fishermen who were fishing from a small unpowered boat on the non tidal Trent above Cromwell got into difficulties. Their boat traversed the weir and upturned and was found several hours later further downstream on the tidal river. The bodies of the fishermen have as yet not been found so anybody travelling on the tidal river is asked to be vigilant and report any potential sightings to the local police ir the lock keepers.

Our thoughts go out to the mens families at this time.

It was sadly confirmed to us on Saturday morning that two fishermen who were fishing from a small unpowered boat on the non tidal Trent above Cromwell got into difficulties. Their boat traversed the weir and upturned and was found several hours later further downstream on the tidal river. The bodies of the fishermen have as yet not been found so anybody travelling on the tidal river is asked to be vigilant and report any potential sightings to the local police ir the lock keepers.

One died. The other is in hospital.

Brian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-16560946

Yes a terrible time for all concerned. This weir has taken many lives over the years. Not least when many members of the parachute regiment died there whilst on excercise. Working boats back along used to bypass the lock when the river was in flood and go straight over the weir. I dont think H and S executive would allow that now.

Looks like one of those folding boats - not that that is particularly relevant

Yes a terrible time for all concerned. This weir has taken many lives over the years. Not least when many members of the parachute regiment died there whilst on excercise. Working boats back along used to bypass the lock when the river was in flood and go straight over the weir. I dont think H and S executive would allow that now.

10 members of the parachute regiment I think

if that is the boat they used, or indeed, same make, I am astounded.

I am slightly nervous, although not worried, about putting my 70ft steel narrowboat on any river. I look at depths, EA flood pages, weather forecasts, etc

I have cruised the Ribble,Wyre,Mersey,Severn,Thames,Lea,Stort,Soar,Trent(top end only, not tidal yet),and consider these worthy of respect and investigation, before and during travel. I almost pulled cruising from Sawley to Derwent Top a few weeks ago as the river was rising rather rapidly.

Just because the weather looks nice is not a reason not to be careful. And in a boat that size, on a river the size of the Trent,in a place like Cromwell, with it's massive barrier . shudder.

For clarity -

Why is the tidal trent any different from the Bure...

Well in this case one obvious difference is the lack of weirs.

Whilst the lower Bure can have a significant flow (although nothing like the Trent - with the Ant and Thurne it drains a relatively small part of Norfolk, rather than most of the North Midlands), it's nowhere near as large as the Trent, and therefore most of the time not nearly as dangerous. I'd happily traverse the lower Bure and upper Yare/Waveney in a sailing boat without an engine (and have done), I would hesitate to do so on the Trent.

All waterways can be dangerous if you are not aware of the dangers and are unprepared, tragic for their families and all other people involved.

What the press fail to tell is that the fishermen were regulars to the area and the river and had years of experience fishing this stretch. We have passed them on many an occasion fishing above the weir on the stretch between Muskham Ferry and Cromwell. I am sure they were well aware of the dangers involved and this is just a tragic accident. It does serve as a timely reminder that we should all be extra careful on rivers and not get complacent.

Well in this case one obvious difference is the lack of weirs.

Whilst the lower Bure can have a significant flow (although nothing like the Trent - with the Ant and Thurne it drains a relatively small part of Norfolk, rather than most of the North Midlands), it's nowhere near as large as the Trent, and therefore most of the time not nearly as dangerous. I'd happily traverse the lower Bure and upper Yare/Waveney in a sailing boat without an engine (and have done), I would hesitate to do so on the Trent.

Thanks