Wakefield advice please.

Rod a mod from Tod

Featured Posts

I'm not sure on moorings actually in Wakefield but the moorings at Stanley ferry and around there area are fine and it's not too far into Wakie from there.

Dave

Shortly after coming off the river near the Hepworth Gallery, There are moorings most of the way to Fall Ing Lock, within walking distance of the centre. An alternative is Horbury where there is a decent pub, (unlike Stanley Ferry), also within a short bus ride of Wakefield.

Shortly after coming off the river near the Hepworth Gallery, There are moorings most of the way to Fall Ing Lock, within walking distance of the centre. An alternative is Horbury where there is a decent pub, (unlike Stanley Ferry), also within a short bus ride of Wakefield.

Ill second this. Stanley ferry has a lousy plastic pub where you will be confronted with the bain of the modern pub that being CHILDREN and LAGER, both of which should be banned substances were pubs are concerned. As said up from the dreaded fall ings lock along for 100 yards turn sharp right and there is a long stretch of moorings with rings and an easy walk into town/city. Or just under the bridge are a few moorings but they are overlooked by two horrendous blocks of flats. And yes horbury has a few nice moorings and a proper ish pub.

Ill second this. Stanley ferry has a lousy plastic pub where you will be confronted with the bain of the modern pub that being CHILDREN and LAGER, both of which should be banned substances were pubs are concerned. As said up from the dreaded fall ings lock along for 100 yards turn sharp right and there is a long stretch of moorings with rings and an easy walk into town/city. Or just under the bridge are a few moorings but they are overlooked by two horrendous blocks of flats. And yes horbury has a few nice moorings and a proper ish pub.

My sentiments entirely, there used to be quite a nice pub at Stanley Ferry, The Ship, but last I heard it had closed down, another good pub bites the dust.

Dave

:cheers:

Edited by Titus

My sentiments entirely, there used to be quite a nice pub at Stanley Ferry, The Ship, but last I heard it had closed down, another good pub bites the dust.

Dave

:cheers:

Hi Dave

Correct again :cheers: for years it was a good pub we used it in the 70s and 80s and 90s but it has bitten the dust. It was auctioned off about 3 months ago and looks like its being changed in to a house.

I would now choose Horbury Bridge now that the Boat at Stanley Ferry has closed. Mind you, the once delightfully idiosyncratic Bingley Arms canalside at Horbury Bridge has had a 'makeover', including increased prices. There are two other pubs in the village, but not so good. The moorings are limited, but you can also moor before the bridge ('upstream'), where are also the facilities, hidden through the arch in the delightful little long-term mooring basin. The mining museum up the hill at Horbury is worth a visit - you get to crawl through underground workings in proper orange overalls.

I am from that area, try the navigation pub instead, nicely still in the country, good moorings and main road straight into wakefield, (about 1-2 miles out). Otherwise fall ings lock is good spot. you can moor near the flats or on the river by the flats we have done both, never had any trouble...

Have moored in Wakefield on the visitor moorings just up from the flood lock several times in past two years. Never any problems. However, no facilities., There is a S/Stn at Fall Ings but only for moorers there. Has a different key to standard.

The Hepworth might not be to everybodies taste on the outside but worth a visit.

Regards

Pete

Can we not tempt you to go a little further. We will be in the Leeds area during Easter week? :cheers:

Phylis

Do you reckon ya can do a barby at Woodlesford, weather permitting ? There are shed loads of moorings loads of grass and barby area, parking for lesser mortals who may want to attend and a few boaters in the vicinity such as Martin and others oop ere. And only a short stagger to the pub :D let me know and we could prob organise a little bash......

Phylis

Do you reckon ya can do a barby at Woodlesford, weather permitting ? There are shed loads of moorings loads of grass and barby area, parking for lesser mortals who may want to attend and a few boaters in the vicinity such as Martin and others oop ere. And only a short stagger to the pub :D let me know and we could prob organise a little bash......

Sounds good to me :cheers: