Dry dock between K and A and Shroppie.

nb celestine

Featured Posts

Hi, We are going from Devizes on the K&A to Llangollen this year and wanted a dry dock somewhere between the two.

Can anyone recommend one and a rough guide to the price please. We need it for a week.

Cheers, Paul.

There's one at Stourport, not sure on prices or anything though.

ETA Probably not on your route tho.

Edited by Gazboatman

If DIY, try Newbury Boat Company. They used to let on that basis.

Theres Dry Docks at Banbury, Fenny Compton & Braunston (2), Further North I'm not sure. I am sure though that there will be some more.

Weather DIY or not sure either.

Price? You would need to enquire.

Martyn

There's one at Semington, which has a website although maybe a bit close to Devizes for you? There's one just above the lock at Bradford on Avon, they have facilities for blacking up to 60' narrowboats on the Somerset coal canal at Dundas and then you're onto the river Avon to Bristol where they can lift some big bad boats - useful for barges and widebeams. There's a big yard at Keynsham and bound to be a few in Bristol Harbour. Beyond Bristol I don't really know.

...actually I had assumed you'd be heading west from Devizes. What route are you planning?

...actually I had assumed you'd be heading west from Devizes. What route are you planning?

Hi, We are going from Devizes on the K&A to Llangollen this year and wanted a dry dock somewhere between the two.

Can anyone recommend one and a rough guide to the price please. We need it for a week.

Cheers, Paul.

If you are going up the GU there is one at Bulbourne which we have used:

http://www.batesboatyard.co.uk/drydock.htm

Cost for DIY is £100 plus £65 a day for narrow beam.

Tim

Going north there is Hatherton (01785 715988) on the northern half of the Staffs and Worcs, which may be slightly off your route but not much, depending on which way you intend to go to get to Hurleston Junction.

On the Shroppie there is the Audlem Boat Co at Overwater Marina, Audlem (07772 386798); Norbury Wharf, unsurprisingly, at Norbury (01785 284292);

There's one at Semington, which has a website although maybe a bit close to Devizes for you? There's one just above the lock at Bradford on Avon, they have facilities for blacking up to 60' narrowboats on the Somerset coal canal at Dundas and then you're onto the river Avon to Bristol where they can lift some big bad boats - useful for barges and widebeams. There's a big yard at Keynsham and bound to be a few in Bristol Harbour. Beyond Bristol I don't really know.

Hi Mick, I did contact Semington but it was going to cost £640 for a week so a bit steep for me.

I,ll be going East then up the Thames and then havent decided on the route yet.

I,ve heard Stone isnt bad if I head that way.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hi Mick, I did contact Semington but it was going to cost £640 for a week so a bit steep for me.

I know - I couldn't believe it when they told me after I enquired about the price. It's almost cheaper to get Hilperton to do the blacking for me, and that's on a 70' boat.

Still, they will let you have a mixture of wet and dry dock ( £40/day wet dock as opposed to £80/day for dry) and let you have it by the day. Still seems a lot though.