How much information in a boat ad?

Kentboycamper2

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

Have put an ad for my narrowboat on Apolloduck but was arguing with my good lady about how much information to put in.

I like loads of photos and as much information as possible, I have even taken a photo of the central heating!

She thinks we should just put in less information and fill in the gaps when people view.

Would be interested in some opinions as to what people look for in these sort of ads as we bought the boat by spotting it in a marina,

Andy

I agree with as much information(good and bad)and pictures as possible.

I follow the same approach on E-bay. I find it makes for an easier sale and gives you credability as a genuine person.

If all the information is there, you will generally find viewings go a great deal easier.

I agree. Cannot have too much information.

When I read an advert I'm looking to form as complete and accurate an impression of the boat as I can, warts and all. Its not just 'buyers' who can be the time wasters mentioned by someone above, sellers sometimes waste buyers' time too by concealing the problems in an ad.

So I like to see the 'warts' in particular included in the listing. Saves me driving X miles and being that 'time waster'!

Mike

Help the buyer. You may not have the room to produce a fully comprehensive ad. A good picture; you know, the one you took just after you'd washed it three years ago. Not too much fluffing; the buyer will be instantly put off if it doesn't stack up - if they view it.

Have more photos on another site - be it a photo sharing site or a blog setup for the sale. More info the better but include those key features - BSS, any survey, blacked history, any service history, appliances info. I don't think you really need fuel and water tank capacities but why not? Important to have good lighting in the photos - not into the direct sun! Photos both sides of the boat, front & back - some have photo of the roof. Not sure if you need a photo of the engine or not.. Perhaps take a video and post to youtube - I did this for a boat we hope to buy on Friday - this meant the good folk on this forum were able to comment. Of course if you have something to hide then its your decision whether to show or not....

What would you want to see if you were remotely viewing a boat and it was 100 miles away?

Ensure that you include both interior and exterior photos. This may sound obvious but you'd be amazed how many people don't, No external shot and viewers will think the shell must be plug ugly, no internal shot and they'll wonder if it's empty!

Edited by Athy

Not sure if you need a photo of the engine or not..

For me good pictures of the engine, engine compartment or engine room would be essential. You can tell a lot by looking at these pictures – tatty wiring, oil leaks etc. would make me ask questions about the level of maintenance on the rest of the boat. Also get rid of all those twee ornaments, pictures, soft furnishings etc. They may be to your taste but will distract and possibly alienate a potential buyer.

Hi Folks,

Have put an ad for my narrowboat on Apolloduck but was arguing with my good lady about how much information to put in.

I like loads of photos and as much information as possible, I have even taken a photo of the central heating!

She thinks we should just put in less information and fill in the gaps when people view.

Would be interested in some opinions as to what people look for in these sort of ads as we bought the boat by spotting it in a marina,

Andy

You do not know what particular feature a potential buyer is looking for, so list everything it has and it may tick enough boxes for the right buyer to come along.

I scroll straight past vague adverts on the duck but will click links to other sites from there to see more details.

Edited by Dyad

For me good pictures of the engine, engine compartment or engine room would be essential. You can tell a lot by looking at these pictures – tatty wiring, oil leaks etc. would make me ask questions about the level of maintenance on the rest of the boat. Also get rid of all those twee ornaments, pictures, soft furnishings etc. They may be to your taste but will distract and possibly alienate a potential buyer.

Trouble is, you might be an engine man, but the buyer might be a knick knacks person. So I think you do need to include pictures showing all aspects of the boat.

A personal gripe - those who show three photos of the stern, but none of the bow. I always assume such boats must be pig-ugly.

David

Personally, I would put as much information in as possible with photos being preferable to verbage.

I would like to see as much as possible before possibly driving a long way to view.

Hopefully, it will also cut down on timewasters.

Hi Folks,

Andy

Thanks all, I think I have covered most of the bases.

Lots of pictures of all different parts of the boat inside and out. Some of the engine, engine room etc.

All the sort of detail that I would look for in an ad too.

It is useful to get an insight into how other people use these sorts of adverts,

Thanks,

Andy