Braunston to Oxford at Christmas?

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Hi,

As the weather is forecast to be a little milder I'm thinking of heading from Braunston to Oxford and back over the Christmas break. I think the trip should take 4 days each way which leaves me a couple of days to explore. I'm not aware of any stoppages but if anyone knows better please let me know.

Thanks

Martin

• Greenie 1

Hi,

As the weather is forecast to be a little milder I'm thinking of heading from Braunston to Oxford and back over the Christmas break. I think the trip should take 4 days each way which leaves me a couple of days to explore. I'm not aware of any stoppages but if anyone knows better please let me know.

Thanks

Martin

4 days is going some, I'd say 6 comfortably, 5 if don't mind a bit of the dark

Hi,

Thanks

Martin

What model jet ski do you own ?

With the limited light I think at 4 days it is a push, but I guess you can do it.

In the summer with the longer days, we did Calcutt to Oxford (Eynsham lock on the Thames actually) in 4 days, and with that we lost half a day due to the lock closures on the summit level. So would have been 3.5 days without that, but we did travel into the evening.

On the same trip at 10AM we went down the Claydon flight behind a single hander who was planning on being in Oxford that night. No idea if he made it!

Edit: Thanks Carlt. He probably was planing though, his boat reminded me of Muscat of BCN Challenge fame, and I think that's the only way he covers the distances.

Edited by john6767

Thanks for the quick replies. I took the 4 days from the Canal Plan AC site but it sounds like it may be optimistic (or I've got the settings wrong) :unsure: . I'm an early riser so I expect to be away as soon as it is light enough but even so I would only expect to travel 6 hrs a day max.

Thanks for the quick replies. I took the 4 days from the Canal Plan AC site but it sounds like it may be optimistic (or I've got the settings wrong) :unsure: . I'm an early riser so I expect to be away as soon as it is light enough but even so I would only expect to travel 6 hrs a day max.

Yep it is 4 days but with my settings too, but at 8 hours per day. So you are basically travelling the whole of the daylight hours this time of year. At 6 hours per day then you need a bit over 5 days.

Yep it is 4 days but with my settings too, but at 8 hours per day. So you are basically travelling the whole of the daylight hours this time of year. At 6 hours per day then you need a bit over 5 days.

That would explain it. I changed the settings in the options but didn't notice the daily hours on the front page. Looks like I need to ask the boss for a few extra days off.

Hmmm

Run Canal Plan to Oxford (Isis Lock) @ 6hrs per day - It claims 5 days

Based on that (& the fact we have always beat Canal Plan either in our cruiser or Dads NB) I think with the traffic at this time of yr (Stoppages excluded) you could do it in 4 days.

Dad is 72 , the other yr he took the NB to Isis for us to take over on our cruise down the Thames - He had 14 days from Syston on the Soar , Even tho he ran short days he managed it in 10 leaving him stuck around Oxford (He didnt fancy the Thames as the Wicked Stepmother didnt fancy a big river (Oh dear how wrong she was) for 4 days till we picked it up - Canal plan said possible in 10 days @ 6hrs a day , he probably ran 4-5 so you should do it easily !

Hi,

Thanks

Martin

When you get to Oxford go right to the end of the canal, you will have to back out but its very handy for the town.

Hmmm

Run Canal Plan to Oxford (Isis Lock) @ 6hrs per day - It claims 5 days

Based on that (& the fact we have always beat Canal Plan either in our cruiser or Dads NB) I think with the traffic at this time of yr (Stoppages excluded) you could do it in 4 days.

Dad is 72 , the other yr he took the NB to Isis for us to take over on our cruise down the Thames - He had 14 days from Syston on the Soar , Even tho he ran short days he managed it in 10 leaving him stuck around Oxford (He didnt fancy the Thames as the Wicked Stepmother didnt fancy a big river (Oh dear how wrong she was) for 4 days till we picked it up - Canal plan said possible in 10 days @ 6hrs a day , he probably ran 4-5 so you should do it easily !

Thanks for the info - I'll see how I'm doing after the fist couple of days. The locks are all narrow so that will save a bit of time and as you say I don't expect mch traffic at this time of year.

Martin.

When you get to Oxford go right to the end of the canal, you will have to back out but its very handy for the town.

Thanks. this is just the sort of info I need as a newbie.

Thanks. this is just the sort of info I need as a newbie.

Far be it for me to disagree with ditchcrawler.

It is quite a long reverse alongside 'Long Term Moorers' much easier to go down Isis lock turn and return to the canal (you will have to do this if over 50' anyway) and then moor, only a walk down the arm and into town.

ps. when you go down the lock, you are on the river with quite a flow, so be aware.

It is quite a long reverse alongside 'Long Term Moorers' much easier to go down Isis lock turn and return to the canal (you will have to do this if over 50' anyway) and then moor, only a walk down the arm and into town.

ps. when you go down the lock, you are on the river with quite a flow, so be aware.

Thanks for the tip. The boat is 55ft so it looks like Isis lock is the answer.

Thanks for the tip. The boat is 55ft so it looks like Isis lock is the answer.

Hi Martin.

We are 55' and did as Bottle suggests earlier this year. It really is a short walk into town. If you moor adjacent to Oxford boat hire on the towpath side.

Enjoy your trip.

Martyn

Since when was boating meant to be easy :captain:

It is literally a 2 minute walk from Isis lock to the end of the canal at Hythe Bridge Street. Not sure there'd be anywhere to moor at the end anyway - whenever I've walked along there it's pretty much fully occupied.

I have always moored down there with no problem what so ever. Very few boaters even attempt it.

Best laid plans and all that. Finished work a day early to get on the way. Making good progress until Napton locks. After first lock the pound was so low I grounded entering the lock and had to run water from the next pound to get in. All the pounds were low but I managed OK until I picked up this little surprise on the prop. :blink: Ironically I think its probably a BW sandbag. 2 Hours with stanley knife and scissors finally cleared it. Moved on but called it a day at Napton lock 15 as the rain was horizontal by now. Thankfully dried out, warmed up and about to make dinner.

395925_2863956326344_1482832521_32959242_1891378922_n.jpg

Edited by Martin Megson

Best laid plans and all that. Finished work a day early to get on the way. Making good progress until Napton locks. After first lock the pound was so low I grounded entering the lock and had to run water from the next pound to get in. All the pounds were low but I managed OK until I picked up this little surprise on the prop. :blink: Ironically I think its probably a BW sandbag. 2 Hours with stanley knife and scissors finally cleared it. Moved on but called it a day at Napton lock 15 as the rain was horizontal by now. Thankfully dried out, warmed up and about to make dinner.

395925_2863956326344_1482832521_32959242_1891378922_n.jpg

Part of the Fun Martin !!!

Lousy weather today , so well done for keeping moving - Might be worth while getting some better cutting devices in yr kit (We've had stuff round the prop that Mr Stanley or Mrs Scissors wouldnt shift!)

Oh - That includes Dads Centre Line on his NB ! :blush: Luckily I removed that by leaving the Engine stop out , motor in reverse , I winding back on the starter - OOPS sorry Dad !

Part of the Fun Martin !!!

Lousy weather today , so well done for keeping moving - Might be worth while getting some better cutting devices in yr kit (We've had stuff round the prop that Mr Stanley or Mrs Scissors wouldnt shift!)

Oh - That includes Dads Centre Line on his NB ! :blush: Luckily I removed that by leaving the Engine stop out , motor in reverse , I winding back on the starter - OOPS sorry Dad !

I'm learning all the time. Certainly adding some stronger cutting gear and a small tarpaulin as lying on the deck was not pleasant. Had already lost my golf brolly to the wind (Turned inside out not lost over the side I hasten to add). The engine reverse trick sounds good - unfortunatly my engine stop is on the ignition so I can't do that.

As I say I'm new but the good news it that a wet day on the canal, even with a weed hatch visit, still beats a dry day in the office :lol:

As I said earlier "Since when was boating meant to be easy" :cheers:

As I say I'm new but the good news it that a wet day on the canal, even with a weed hatch visit, still beats a dry day in the office :lol:

And thats what its all about - Never mind the folks who sneer & point fingers if you are doing something a little incorrect or not in their liking.

Enjoy the water - Its there for us all (Splitters / Sewer Tubes / Even Fisherman (We're not all bad you know !)

Hope you reach Oxford !