LED navigation lamps - battery powered, magnetically attached

MtB

Featured Posts

Some good taxi magnets on eBay Link

I've used 2 for my tv aerial, pretty good until the wind went wild! Should be ok for lights.

Strange concept in the blurb for them:-

"Provides up to 9kg of holding force up to the UK national speed limit of 70mph"

...so the holding force drops off above 70 mph? Some sort of relativity effect, maybe? :unsure:

Won't be an issue for your ordinary inland craft, I'm sure ;)

Tim

Thanks. My nav lights aren't big enough for the length of my boat, so I'm not following the colregs in their entirity. But they're the same size lights fitted to most >12m narrowboats by builders. If I had a Dutch barge and intended to go to sea I'd have the right size lights, but for what I do on the Thames I think my setup is ok.

And lots of those >12m boats have RCDs

Strange concept in the blurb for them:-

"Provides up to 9kg of holding force up to the UK national speed limit of 70mph"

...so the holding force drops off above 70 mph? Some sort of relativity effect, maybe? :unsure:

Won't be an issue for your ordinary inland craft, I'm sure ;)

Tim

Head wind on the Fens :cheers:

• 2 years later...

Hi first post so be nice biggrin.png

I'm picking up a boat I've just bought, nr Teddington Lock. I need to drive the boat up the Thames through Brentford or Limehouse Basin on my way to Regents Canal where I shall be mooring.

It looks like I'll be travelling in the dark, and will need to have the correct navigation lights to stay safe:

https://www.waterways.org.uk/boating/navigating_your_boat/vhf/navigation_lights

Surely there must be a company that make detachable, battery powered lights for Stern, Bow, Starboard, Port? I can't seem to find any anywhere.. If there isn't someone should make some! Definitely a market!

Hi first post so be nice :D

I'm picking up a boat I've just bought, nr Teddington Lock. I need to drive the boat up the Thames through Brentford or Limehouse Basin on my way to Regents Canal where I shall be mooring.

It looks like I'll be travelling in the dark, and will need to have the correct navigation lights to stay safe:

Surely there must be a company that make detachable, battery powered lights for Stern, Bow, Starboard, Port? I can't seem to find any anywhere.. If there isn't someone should make some! Definitely a market!

I've looked for these in the past but never found them - sorry.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with finding a mooring on the regents'!

They do exist, I bought some battery powered nav lights from Ebay and glued on magnets.

BUT they aren't anything like as powerful as the regs say they have to be, which could invalidate your insurance.

Edit to add- actually, what regs apply on that bit? Do the EA actually specify minimum power and height of nav lights?

Edited by FadeToScarlet

The regs are here:

====================

I only have a 20ft Waterbug, so I seem to fit into a nice category - my issue is that I do not have the electrics sorted, so no power on board. I was thinking I could bring a 240v genny I have, but would still need to do some wiring.

The person I am buying the boat from is being pretty harsh about collection.. It's either take it right away, and get as close to regs as possible OR pay someone to tow it.. Quotes I am getting are ridiculous.

Yes - Regents Canal ContCruising temporarily.. Then probably of to River Lea.. Any suggestions on places to moor near London.. Happy to pay money, but not more than what I paid for the boat! :)

Edited by Lee_

Its a shame that no one has supplied anything like the OP described.

I found some bicycle led clip ons in green and red on Clas Ohlsen in Reading which I purchased as emergency standby.

They were cheap and bright. I am sure they won't comply but they are sitting ready for use

Paul

Ps. I suppose I should buy a clear one for the rear.

Is their a market for them?

How many canal boats navigate the waters where the Regs require them? Somehow I doubt there are many!

The regs are here:

====================

I only have a 20ft Waterbug, so I seem to fit into a nice category - my issue is that I do not have the electrics sorted, so no power on board. I was thinking I could bring a 240v genny I have, but would still need to do some wiring.

The person I am buying the boat from is being pretty harsh about collection.. It's either take it right away, and get as close to regs as possible OR pay someone to tow it.. Quotes I am getting are ridiculous.

Yes - Regents Canal ContCruising temporarily.. Then probably of to River Lea.. Any suggestions on places to moor near London.. Happy to pay money, but not more than what I paid for the boat! smile.png

Would that be per week? rolleyes.gif

Would that be per week? rolleyes.gif

I'm taking her up to Devizes now - I have found a reasonably priced mooring that's closer to my home.

Yes, the cost of mooring in London is disgracefully high.

You don't actually NEED navigation lights. You NEED a light to see by, that's all. Any boat showing a forward facing headlamp is going to be easy to spot, nav lights or not.

Do you have a headlamp on the boat?

MtB

At long last!!

someone has pointed out the obvious.

Very slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but... what's with bow lights being super bright and pointing right at my eyes in tunnels?? I've always used lower wattage bulbs so as not to blind in the pitchness of tunnels and aimed upward to light the arch, that way I can judge my position in the tunnel. Nothing worse than being halfway through a long tunnel and someone coming straight at you with a b*!?$rd blinder right in your eyes!

Sorry, mini-rant over lol.

Lee.

I'm always game for a 'bit of a project' lol.

Lee.

haha awesome! Where are you 'based'?

You don't actually NEED navigation lights. You NEED a light to see by, that's all. Any boat showing a forward facing headlamp is going to be easy to spot, nav lights or not.

Do you have a headlamp on the boat?

MtB

Yes, I do have a headlamp - but unfortunately my boat is going to have a safety inspection on the day I take it away, to mitigate the risk of a failed test - I've decommissioned the electrics & gas.. Plus the batteries aren't charged atm, therefore could be tricky to get them going..

At long last!!

someone has pointed out the obvious.

I take your advice seriously, as I'm a complete N000000blet.. My guidance is coming from here:

Do you think I'm being OTT?

Very slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but... what's with bow lights being super bright and pointing right at my eyes in tunnels?? I've always used lower wattage bulbs so as not to blind in the pitchness of tunnels and aimed upward to light the arch, that way I can judge my position in the tunnel. Nothing worse than being halfway through a long tunnel and someone coming straight at you with a b*!?$rd blinder right in your eyes!

Sorry, mini-rant over lol.

Lee.

Although I've not experienced this personally, I'm gonna +1 this comment :-)

(The reason for 'needing' nav lights = I'm taking the NB up the Thames from Teddington Lock, to K&A canal, possibly travelling at night to make the canal before stoppages on the 3rd)

Edited by Lee_

You need to get your headlight fixed asap!

The other lights will not be needed for where you are going.

And I suspect you will be needing to buy a new battery.

So are you saying that Navigation lights are not a requirement on the tidal Thames in the hours of darkness?

You need to get your headlight fixed asap!

The other lights will not be needed for where you are going.

And I suspect you will be needing to buy a new battery.

Agreed - I'm expecting that I'll need a new battery. I do have a 240v genny that I could bring along, and potentially wire up.. Do you know of any decent battery powered lights that would do the job?

So are you saying that Navigation lights are not a requirement on the tidal Thames in the hours of darkness?

What he said ^^

No, but I don't think the OP is going on the tidal Thames, is he?

I notice MtB said the same thing earlier.

Edited by Graham Davis