Google Chrome

Featured Posts

following some advice on the'Barby' thread re 'multiquotes' I tried Google Chrome & it cured the promlem.

However, at the moment all I have is the normal 'Google' screen & I assume that there must be a way to customise it with 'favourites' & other shortcuts that you get on I.Ex.

Indeed, can you transfer your existing favourites over?

Not I.T. savvy, so bear with me.

following some advice on the'Barby' thread re 'multiquotes' I tried Google Chrome & it cured the promlem.

However, at the moment all I have is the normal 'Google' screen & I assume that there must be a way to customise it with 'favourites' & other shortcuts that you get on I.Ex.

Indeed, can you transfer your existing favourites over?

Not I.T. savvy, so bear with me.

Indeed you can! First look at the spanner icon - top right. That will lead to menu with options as one choice - have a look at those options as a starter.

John

Adding favourites is easy, use the star at the end of the address bar to bookmark them

Lots of other things you can do too like applying different colour schemes through Themes

Also, try clicking on a web page link with the middle mouse button

Richard

Also under the spanner icon on the menu you will find Bookmarks and a submenu choice of import bookmarks. You might have to export them from your previous browser in a suitable format first, or it might import them straight away - depends on browser.

John

Chrome is great for most things, and much faster that the others particularly for heavy javascript operations eg web 2.0 apps.

One issue that I have had though is with the "Predict network actions to improve page load performance", which I now have turned off. If you see you have problems with it not loading pages and you have to hit refresh, try disabling this (Options/Under the Bonnet)

I used to use Firefox, and found it great, but now find Google Chrome to be faster. I think that Firefox has probably become too 'heavy coded' and needs stripping down again to regain it's past speed and usefulness.

John

Yes, thanks for that. I was looking to get a dropdown list but I don't think it can be done.

Yes you can. First, your imports are in 'Other bookmarks'. Secondly, you can add folders to the bar

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I used to use Firefox, and found it great, but now find Google Chrome to be faster.

I use both Firefox and Chrome and, indeed, have them both open most of the time.

Yes, Chrome can be fast but it does seem to crash rather a lot.

"Chrome has encountered a problem and needs to close" or similar.

Firefox used to crash a lot at one time but seems to be very stable at the moment.

I use both Firefox and Chrome and, indeed, have them both open most of the time.

Yes, Chrome can be fast but it does seem to crash rather a lot.

"Chrome has encountered a problem and needs to close" or similar.

Firefox used to crash a lot at one time but seems to be very stable at the moment.

Strange how different computers seem to have minds of their own, isn't it! I haven't had any crashes with Chrome in over a year of daily use. I also use Firefox, Opera, IE, and even Safari on a regular basis just to keep up with their development. Certainly wouldn't talk down Firefox but just find, on my machine, that Chrome works a little faster. Opera also seems to be quietly making good progress.

John

Strange how different computers seem to have minds of their own, isn't it! I haven't had any crashes with Chrome in over a year of daily use. I also use Firefox, Opera, IE, and even Safari on a regular basis just to keep up with their development. Certainly wouldn't talk down Firefox but just find, on my machine, that Chrome works a little faster. Opera also seems to be quietly making good progress.

John

Only problem I'm having with Firefox is that I've isolated the Adobe Acrobat plugin as the source of crashes when I try to download pdf docs. If I disable the plugin and just let them open Adobe Acrobat all works fine.

I normally stick with the same browser for a while and then try something new (excluding IE of course)

Yes, thanks for that. I was looking to get a dropdown list but I don't think it can be done.

Hi

I like to use the 'Options' - Basics - On start up - Tick the box - Reopen the pages that were opened last.

Saved a lot of time and is a good reminder of what you was last looking at.

Have you noticed the spell checker yet? For me it was worth changing just for thatwub.gif

Alex

Hi

I like to use the 'Options' - Basics - On start up - Tick the box - Reopen the pages that were opened last.

Have you noticed the spell checker yet? For me it was worth changing just for thatwub.gif

Alex

Thanks Alex --- no I haven't seen the spool chucker yet.

Oh yes, I have now :cheers:

Hi

Alex

Agreed, it's a really useful feature

Richard

I fynd Firefox the best espeshalllie the spel chequer or maybee that came from sommeware else eye'm not shore,and beleve me wythowt it no one on theeze fourumns wood bee able to undderstand, unravel or mayke any sennce wattevar of sum of the nonsenc i powst at tymes.. Blizzzard.

I fynd Firefox the best espeshalllie the spel chequer or maybee that came from sommeware else eye'm not shore,and beleve me wythowt it no one on theeze fourumns wood bee able to undderstand, unravel or mayke any sennce wattevar of sum of the nonsenc i powst at tymes.. Blizzzard.

I actually understood the whole of that- first time - int that weird huh.gif

Alex

I actually understood the whole of that- first time - int that weird huh.gif

Alex

Dyd yew reelie int thatt amayzyng. I allwais thort it wos the mayne ryson wiy sum peepl aar warie abowt ryspondyng two sum off mie poasts

Eye howp mie spel chequer nevver gows rongg then.

• 1 month later...

I am trying out Chrome rather than Explorer - and can't access this forum for some reason! I have 'remember me' ticked when using IE.

All I get is 'incorrect user name and password'. I have gone into the IE version of my settings, changed to a new password, and it still won't let me in using chrome!

Any ideas?