Risk assessment

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

You seem to be on top of things from a common sense perspective and I'm sure that will go down well with the person doing the risk assessment ... even if they have little or no experience with boating; but it might be worth asking them in advance if there is anything they would expect you to have considered that you haven't - that way you start a dialogue and I reckon that will get them on your side... and you never know they might suggest something sensible that everyone here has overlooked

I have to write risk assessments all of the time, not quite in the same circumstances but the best thing you can do is present the social worker with a good quality document that demonstrates that you have taken into account all of the possible risks and have made reosonable efforts to prevent incident.

Sod's law means that when this is done and dusted you'll be taking the little un to A & E with a bit of lego stuck up her nose!

Sod's law means that when this is done and dusted you'll be taking the little un to A & E with a bit of lego stuck up her nose!

Oh! So very true!

(Except one of ours was a raisin, not a bit of Lego - you'd be amazed how much a raisin "rehydrates" itself up a toddler's nostril, and how much harder to get out than in!).

On the other points it all looks very sensible, but who am I to advise, because I'm the one constantly having mishaps on the boat, whereas the kids have always seemed to have had far more than a cat's nine lives.

Quote= from "Wanted" I have to write risk assessments all of the time, not quite in the same circumstances but the best thing you can do is present the social worker with a good quality document that demonstrates that you have taken into account all of the possible risks and have made reosonable efforts to prevent incident.

This is really good advice from "wanted"- to document the risk assesment- keep it simple, suggest that you use a notebook and split a page into 2- one side for Hazard (eg trapped fingers in drawers and cupboards), the other side for action- detail all the things you've done to remove the hazards- childproof cupboard catches etc and date when you did it. Look at each area,and think what could happen. If you havent completed something- put down what you'll do and the deadline and then date it when you've done it-Do that for each area, plus a page on rules that you have, eg You dont allow the little one on top of the boat or the stern or bow alone, life jacket on at all times when outside etc.

It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job- but this will help prove it to your social worker- Good luck

Edited by jp117

I have to write risk assessments all of the time, not quite in the same circumstances but the best thing you can do is present the social worker with a good quality document that demonstrates that you have taken into account all of the possible risks and have made reosonable efforts to prevent incident.

Long nose pliers?

Long nose pliers?

They actually use something very similar except it has a bend in the handle so that the operators hand doesn't obstruct their headtorch or theatre light depending on the chosen light source.

Something like the bottom one in this pic...

7%20(2).jpg

Edited by MJG

Spoilsport, our 3 3/4 granddaughter loves her whistle!!!!

Always happy to put the lifejacket on cos its got a whistle!!!

Steve

Sorry for going off topic but I am reminded of a time a few years ago when we used Hackney bus garage for a cold weather homeless shelter. The building didn't have a fire alarm so we had to use whistles. On xmas day we took a delivery of 500 xmas crackers for every guest. Each and every cracker had a bloody whistle in it! I still shudder at that sound.

They actually use something very similar except it has a bend in the handle so that the operators hand doesn't obstruct their headtorch or theatre light depending on the chosen light source.

Something like the bottom one in this pic...

7%20(2).jpg

Cor! Bet they'd be good for reluctant bogeys - as for the other 2 implements, the mind boggles!

Brian

I don't know if it's worth considering, but here where everyone owns a pool, people use immersion alarms.

A simple wristband that the child wears causes a loud alarm on a remote unit when it gets wet. All wireless and battery operated. Simple to set up and totally portable.

Pete

We live in a safety first obsessed society. If these local authority risk assessors (whom we could well do without as a drain on the public purse) really did their job, they would refuse the right to ever place a child in a motor vehicle. If you want to put a child at risk of serious injury or death, the biggest modern risk of all (with statistics to back it up) is stick 'em in a car and drive. I quote from netdoctor, "Accidents are the most frequent cause of death among children, and car accidents are the leading cause (40 per cent die in car accidents, followed by 15 per cent drowning)" The 15% drowning is not mostly from being on a canal boat, I might add.