Do you really need a dog if you are a CC?

Spacebar

Featured Posts

I feel safer with a dog. Had a spell without dogs after our two elderly JRT went to the kennel in the sky. then Rio came along and we are sorted again. We are her third keepers and she is fantastic. Soft as muck though.

Problem is we will never know how good a guard dog she is until someone else finds out. her just being there helps. Better hearing than us old ones.

Martyn

I feel safer with a dog. Had a spell without dogs after our two elderly JRT went to the kennel in the sky. then Rio came along and we are sorted again. We are her third keepers and she is fantastic. Soft as muck though.

Problem is we will never know how good a guard dog she is until someone else finds out. her just being there helps. Better hearing than us old ones.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn.

We keep going to the dogs home (even before our chat with a boater) hoping to find another.

IM sure we have found one many times but IM too upset over the lat one to go for it again.

One step at a time I guess.

Is my Poopsikins Sharktooth inappropriate too?

3426729810_7f9557e593.jpg

You know what loads of people round my way have English Bull Terriers.

My Mrs wont let me have one though I think they are cracking dogs.

Hey! Like the dog. Our next one perhaps will be a English.

What is she Nightwatch?

My sister recently had a boyfriend who was giving away a cross pit with Bull mastif as he (the guy) was ill.

He couldnt find a home so put it in a rescue place who then put it down as it had Pitbull in it!

I was sickened that someone can do that and just take a life because of a law!

If its legal elsewhere in the world to have Pitbulls why is it ok to put them to death here?

We stand side by side with America in things far worse.

Edited by Spacebar

Problem is as I see it. Some owners have dogs as weapons and these originally placid dogs become beasts. The law always takes the minority view of things that endanger jo public. this spoils it for the majority.

Pit Bulls have a reputation just like GSD had a few years back. My parents always had GSD/Alsations with I was a nipper. See, I was brought up with dogs. My wife reminds me now and then.

Martyn

Hi

I don't live on my boat (yet) but here goes anyhow !

I had the same dilema after my last dog (Roxy - a beatiful Rottie who I rescued at 18mths old and was gentle and loving in every way) 'left us'.

I really didn't think I could go through all the grief again.

However - I found that I missed having a dog in my life so much that I decided I did want another one.

I 'rescued' my current dog Jack ( a Weimaraner ) from a couple who I knew who could no longer keep him.

It was the best thing I have ever done. He is a bit of a character too, which is great! (actaully he's as mad as a box of frogs !!) :lol:

I know it will be hard again when the time comes but I will just have to deal with it.

Better to have loved and lost then to have never loved at all .....

For me it's all about companionship and mutual love and respect.

There is something about dogs (actually most animals) that reaches deep into my soul and I wouldn't be without that.

If only humans could be like that with each other more - maybe the world would be a much nicer place?

I do feel more secure and relaxed though when he is around, regardless of where I am.

If there is a noise or something odd it's his job to decide if it's an issue or not - his skills in that department

are far, far better than than mine !! I think they can 'smell' danger and they always seem to be listening !

If he doesn't react then I don't need to either - a very liberating experience I find.

And he loves going on the boat too B)

DSCF6447-1024.jpg

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Andy ;)

ETA photo - oops sorry about the size! First go at posting a photo and its late lol...

Edited by Stormbringer

Dogs are amazing, loyal protective animals and amazing companions, and I know they contribute to a lot of people's peace of mind having them around, and that is fine.

But anyone whose sole or main reason for having a dog is to fight in their place defend them if they get into bother, should not have the privilege of owning one anyway.

If you are concerned for your safety on a dark towpath, look into the risks and benefits, and if you are not confident in yourself and your peace of mind living as a cc'er, do something about that, be it a self defence course, basic risk assessment, or staying at home.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

Dogs are amazing, loyal protective animals and amazing companions, and I know they contribute to a lot of people's peace of mind having them around, and that is fine.

But anyone whose sole or main reason for having a dog is to fight in their place defend them if they get into bother, should not have the privilege of owning one anyway.

If you are concerned for your safety on a dark towpath, look into the risks and benefits, and if you are not confident in yourself and your peace of mind living as a cc'er, do something about that, be it a self defence course, basic risk assessment, or staying at home.

Well put Star.. I couldn't agree more B)

Andy ;)

Having spoken to a number of full timers who travel around they have all said to me ''get a dog you will need one'' Apparently an occasion will arise where I will need a tasty dog for security. Is this the case for most continued cruisers genuienly travelling around?

I don't know what the furore is all about - its simples Have a read at this....

M n M

Dogs-as-weapons/status symbols is the reason the rescue centres are overrun with staffies just now. Battersea have even launched a new campaign about it.

Of all the CCers I'm friends with none has a dog. Most have cats actually :)

We'd love a dog but work full time, as do most of our CCing friends. I just couldn't leave a dog alone that long. If we retired (or when ERNIE comes up trumps) we'll be CCing with a dog in no time!

Firstly, I dislike dogs so have no opinion on breeds.

"Tasty" in the context used means a fighter, takes no shit, well'ard. You may not have meant that but it is what you said and your post certainly came across as considering a dog as a defensive weapon. You may have done better to clarify the matter in a less combative manner.

Do you need a dog for defensive purposes? (ie a weapon) No.

Having spoken to a number of full timers who travel around they have all said to me ''get a dog you will need one''

Apparently an occasion will arise where I will need a tasty dog for security.

Is this the case for most continued cruisers genuienly travelling around?

Well, a dog is always a joy to have around, and they can do a great deal to enhance your security. The only time that we have ever been robbed on board was when the dogs weren't with us.

However, in our case, that security is about making lots of noise, rather than taking people's legs off. They don't bark just because somebody walks past, but if somebody so much as touches the boat, they will respond with a combined chorus that might give any miscreant pause for thought!

gallery_485_357_60779.jpg

Now you seem to have got yourself into a bit of a spat. I have to say that I can understand why people would take issue with your use of the term "tasty dog", because this DOES imply an attitude to a dog as a weapon that is (in my view) incompatible with responsible dog ownership.

I have no doubt whatsoever that those who own what they regard as a "tasty dog" also love it (I've seen the most hardened thug with his threatening dog cry like a baby when the dog was ill), but simply loving the dog doesn't mean that somebody has the correct attitude to owning a dog, any more than a boy racer who loves his souped up car has the correct attitude to driving.

It may be that people have a wrong impression of your attitude to dogs, but you have done nothing to suggest that the impression is wrong.

However, in our case, that security is about making lots of noise, rather than taking people's legs off. They don't bark just because somebody walks past, but if somebody so much as touches the boat, they will respond with a combined chorus that might give any miscreant pause for thought!

Dennis does emit a low level very quiet growl when anybody walks past our boat, he seems to hear the approach well before we do - it serves more as an alert to us that somebody is around and about rather than to warn anybody off as they won't hear it outside the boat - it is especially useful after dark.

A couple of times he has gone ballistic barking incessantly in the middle of the night and we assumed that somebody had actually interfered with the boat or the roof contents - whatever though when I got up to investigate there was no body to be seen so they had probably scarpered.

Firstly, I dislike dogs so have no opinion on breeds.

"Tasty" in the context used means a fighter, takes no shit, well'ard. You may not have meant that but it is what you said and your post certainly came across as considering a dog as a defensive weapon. You may have done better to clarify the matter in a less combative manner.

Do you need a dog for defensive purposes? (ie a weapon) No.

Whilst I accept your interpretation of "Tasty" the OP equally appears to be seeking guidance as to wether the advice he has been given is correct, he may well have been advised "to get a "tasty dog" As I write this I notice Dave has beaten me to it. The OP uses the word "Security" in the context of CCing, in my view having two Patterdales aboard shortly after starting to CC they provide us with the same sense of security that Dave refers to. Its a question of sematics in my experience most of the "tasty" dogs we come across don't belong to boaters

I have 2 large red knee Tarantulas that I allow to roam when I'm out.

There are a couple of nice warm spots that they graduate to every time.

I put a sign up 'Tarantulas loose'...and a photo.

Nobody has broken in yet...they are very cheap to feed.

Edited by Bobbybass

I have 2 large red knee Tarantulas that I allow to roam when I'm out.

There are a couple of nice warm spots that they graduate to every time.

I put a sign up 'Tarantulas loose'...and a photo.

Nobody has broken in yet...they are very cheap to feed.

Do they keep the 'other' spiders at bay?

Martyn

Do I need a dog as a CCer? Well I guess if they could do the locks and swing bridges that would be really handy!!!

I personally do not like dogs so to get one purely to do the locks and bridges would be very selfish and would not make a very happy life for that dog. In my opinion the only reason to get a dog is because you like dogs but please remember there are people like me who do not like dogs so please don't let it jump up at me in greeting and say "don't worry he wont bite!!"

• Greenie 1

Do I need a dog as a CCer? Well I guess if they could do the locks and swing bridges that would be really handy!!!

I personally do not like dogs so to get one purely to do the locks and bridges would be very selfish and would not make a very happy life for that dog. In my opinion the only reason to get a dog is because you like dogs but please remember there are people like me who do not like dogs so please don't let it jump up at me in greeting and say "don't worry he wont bite!!"

I'm a dog owner and hate that us much as you - who says I want your big slobbering (insert large breed) jumping up at me or your irritating terrier trying to trip me up as it tries to have I go at my dog that is under proper control.

Well, a dog is always a joy to have around, and they can do a great deal to enhance your security. The only time that we have ever been robbed on board was when the dogs weren't with us.

gallery_485_357_60779.jpg

Now you seem to have got yourself into a bit of a spat. I have to say that I can understand why people would take issue with your use of the term "tasty dog", because this DOES imply an attitude to a dog as a weapon that is (in my view) incompatible with responsible dog ownership.

I have no doubt whatsoever that those who own what they regard as a "tasty dog" also love it (I've seen the most hardened thug with his threatening dog cry like a baby when the dog was ill), but simply loving the dog doesn't mean that somebody has the correct attitude to owning a dog, any more than a boy racer who loves his souped up car has the correct attitude to driving.

It may be that people have a wrong impression of your attitude to dogs, but you have done nothing to suggest that the impression is wrong.

Your view as you said! I dont agree with and its ''my view''that I dont feel the need to do anything to suggest the impression you have taken upon yourself as a negative term as being something I need to change to make you feel better about my attitude towards dog ownership thats your problem you can keep it.

My thoughts and outlook in terms of the term ''tasty'' to me simply mean a guard dog.

I have seen nothing to suggest you are a responsible dog owner and have any room to talk just because you have a dog.

Edited by Spacebar