wide beams

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

moving a wide beam from henley to windsor today.

got to marlow lock and noticed the gearshift was slow.

yes ,the oil cooler is split..

we are moored to a friendly tree,crew has gone off to fetch soldering equipment.

if there is a friendly narrowboat on this reach,marlow to cookham,a short tow to the 24 moorings at pound meadow would be appreciated.

if not,will leave the boat overnight at lock.

this sort of problem just does not happen with narrowboats,does it?

Edited by cereal tiller

moving a wide beam from henley to windsor today.

got to marlow lock and noticed the gearshift was slow.

yes ,the oil cooler is split..

we are moored to a friendly tree,crew has gone off to fetch soldering equipment.

if there is a friendly narrowboat on this reach,marlow to cookham,a short tow to the 24 moorings at pound meadow would be appreciated.

if not,will leave the boat overnight at lock.

this sort of problem just does not happen with narrowboats,does it?

They are not only ugly..........They are PIG UGLY.............. :D

They are not only ugly..........They are PIG UGLY.............. :D

anyway,got the pigugly moored up the night,it appears the engine was made in china.

the copy of the bowman oil cooler had split londitudinally,NOT frost damage ,just poorly designed clamp.

tried soldering it, but the split spreading.

i have a brand new genuine BOWMAN one as a spare for my boat,will install it tomorrow.

we were towed for the last couple of miles by a nice chap on his way to london in one of those canal boat things.

i can cope with most things,but the boat we wer moving was so PIG UGLY,THEY MAKE NARROWBOATS LOOK GRACEFUL!

oh well at least it did not have any washers....

You are not alone.

Boated happily to Hungerford, retired to pub for lunch. Returned to boat (narrow), turned on engine, oil alarm, bit of revs alarm went out. Chugged to lock, about 100 yards, back to tickover, alarm on again. Lifted engine cover, bilge full of oil, turned out oil filter had split. Just for once I was really grateful that the railway had followed the route of the canal, quick train to Newbury, new filter and can of oil and we were back in business. One advantage of basic tractor engines they are designed to take punishment.

Good luck with the rest of your trip.

Ken

Edited by KenK

You are not alone.

Boated happily to Hungerford, retired to pub for lunch. Returned to boat (narrow), turned on engine, oil alarm, bit of revs alarm went out. Chugged to lock, about 100 yards, back to tickover, alarm on again. Lifted engine cover, bilge full of oil, turned out oil filter had split. Just for once I was really grateful that the railway had followed the route of the canal, quick train to Newbury, new filter and can of oil and we were back in business. One advantage of basic tractor engines they are designed to take punishment.

Good luck with the rest of your trip.

Ken

Never heard of that happening on a boat, I suspect you were very unlucky. I have heard of it happening on cars when a flying stone or similar has punctured the filter can.

The manual for my PRM260 recommends a temperaure range of 50-80deg c.As a get you home measure is there any reason you couldn't just blank off the oil cooler output/input and use a length of radiator hose without the oil cooler as a get you home fix? Probably sorted now but just thinking about any future breakdowns.

The manual for my PRM260 recommends a temperaure range of 50-80deg c.As a get you home measure is there any reason you couldn't just blank off the oil cooler output/input and use a length of radiator hose without the oil cooler as a get you home fix? Probably sorted now but just thinking about any future breakdowns.

replaced the oil cooler with a new one.

could not bypass the cooler as the hose connections would not suit

tried running the return hose direct to the oil top-up hole,but the gearbox would not engage ahead or astern.

the gearbox is not a lovely and stone reliable PRM,it is made in china,oh dear....

the engine unit is a SHANKS,assume that it is a PONY and TRAP machine.!?

Edited by cereal tiller

replaced the oil cooler with a new one.

could not bypass the cooler as the hose connections would not suit

tried running the return hose direct to the oil top-up hole,but the gearbox would not engage ahead or astern.

the gearbox is not a lovely and stone reliable PRM,it is made in china,oh dear....

the engine unit is a SHANKS,assume that it is a PONY and TRAP machine.!?

Hi There's nothing wrong with a "SHANKS" engine. I had the first one installed(three and half years ago),and have cruised a huge amount of the system single handed,in FACT i was nicely surprised doing the tidal Trent.heading out of torskey I left last and arrived first into cromwell lock.whilst other boats seemed to be overworked.

I have never actually had a problem with my engine,and after asking hire boat firms about there history of shanks engines,after prolonged use,they still appears to be a good engine for there price..............However I did have staring problems first of all,and needed to leave the glowplugs on for a longer period.

I needed to source cheaper parts as the barrus/shanks parts can be exspensive..

However I did have staring problems first of all,and needed to leave the glowplugs on for a longer period.

Glowplugs for staring problems, I simply put my sunglasses on. No one can catch me staring at them then......

Mike

Edited by Doorman