Chav/Ned tactics?

IainW

Featured Posts

Had our first experience of a lovely welcome into our capital city today. A bunch of Neds (Scottish Chavs) spitting and chucking traffic cones off a bridge in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh.

I made eye contact with all of them but didn't say anything. Was trying to make them know i was ready to react but without taunting them.

Would be interested to hear your experiences/tactics?

Iain

one of them looked a bit like Alex Salmond jnr, gaunt and tubby :-)

i must admit it did hack me off a bit but made me realise how nice the rural moorings are that we have used.

i want to not let it get to me, and to have the confidence to deal with it in the best way to make sure it doesn't get to me!

i must admit it did hack me off a bit but made me realise how nice the rural moorings are that we have used.

i want to not let it get to me, and to have the confidence to deal with it in the best way to make sure it doesn't get to me!

If they are on a bridge high above, I agree harder to deal with but the 'tactic' I normally employ when encountering a group of kids is -

'Alright guys...??'

A lot of times they grunt back and ignore us, fair enough, their call, sometimes though they engage shout back 'nice boat Mister, how much did it cost?)

and offer to do the gates/paddles for us and are willing to be shown how if they don't know how to do them already.

Eye contact either scares them, or kicks them off. Having said that, a confident attitude scares away the majority. Just be ready to take out the first one within reach, quick and bad, realy bad. That will scare off the rest. If not, you'lll be on a loser anyway, and may aswell take as ,many with you as you can.

Welcome to suburbia....

Eye contact either scares them, or kicks them off. Having said that, a confident attitude scares away the majority. Just be ready to take out the first one within reach, quick and bad, realy bad. That will scare off the rest. If not, you'lll be on a loser anyway, and may aswell take as ,many with you as you can.

Welcome to suburbia....

This post is a joke surely??

Shit happens on many parts of the system not just the suburban bits....

Eye contact is one thing - where it goes belly up is trying to stare someone out....recipe for a good punch up where you may not come best off.

I think of him as Napoleon Salmond, it’s only a matter of time before he declares himself Emperor; you might laugh but remember you heard it here first!

Joshua

This post is a joke surely??

Shit happens on many parts of the system not just the suburban bits....

Eye contact is one thing - where it goes belly up is trying to stare someone out....recipe for a good punch up where you may not come best off.

T

hi Martin, I'm not biting tonight, as I'm both getting drunk, and not in a good place tonight.

Had our first experience of a lovely welcome into our capital city today. A bunch of Neds (Scottish Chavs) spitting and chucking traffic cones off a bridge in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh.

I made eye contact with all of them but didn't say anything. Was trying to make them know i was ready to react but without taunting them.

Would be interested to hear your experiences/tactics?

Iain

You were lucky they weren't standing in the bridge hole ready to step/jump on your boat as you went past :-) . Touching wood, but we have never had problems in Wester Hailes but I adopt the same procedure there as i do anywhere on the system where I see folk standing around the canal. As soon as posible I engage them in conversation - nice area this, do you live here? it's been a bit wet today, in fact anything at all but NOT antagonistic. I keep chatting to them even if I am not getting any repleis till we are well past them. I find that they are reluctant to throw anything at you while you are speaking to them and in fact, I have seen stones held behind backs being droppped. A result!

Are you enjoying your trip into Edinburgh? I seem to have lost the link to your blog.

haggis

you sould of come running out your boat with a chainsaw foaming at the mouth and watch them run pmsl.

adam

Heading up the feeder out of bristol came across group of 13-15 y/o lads who decided to see how far they could throw stones/ rocks with my boat the target, pulled in just short and went running with windlass in hand. No chance of catching them but partner took boat through under bridge and jumped back on. Have been looking for a paint ball guns since !

I carry sweets to toss to them choosing the least threatening member of the group, the others soon clammier for sweets too and you can say "he was on the bank not threatening us from the bridge". At 2mph don't go to war unless you have a shotgun but a large mooring stake makes a positive statement.

great, I missed an "m". Its 70sqmm, otherwise it would not be described as cable.

Whoops!

If you could indicate a sense of humour deficit, in your sig, I'll make sure I don't bother you again...

Edited to add: actually don't bother. That would be just like painting a target for all those who like a bit of good humoured, harmless banter, to have a shot at.

Edited by carlt