from selby to rodley

owen

Featured Posts

Hi my first trip will be from Selby to Rodley bridge on the L&L is there any parts that i need to look out for in terms of flooding or dangers due to the amount of rain we have had lately or any thing else you could give me a bit of wisdom on

Hi my first trip will be from Selby to Rodley bridge on the L&L is there any parts that i need to look out for in terms of flooding or dangers due to the amount of rain we have had lately or any thing else you could give me a bit of wisdom on

When are setting off?

We are planning to travel from Lemonroyd to Leeds on Saturday - if it helps you could buddy up...

Phone selby locckie soon as possible he will give you info and times for the tidal ouse or the lockie at naburn. The rest is a piece of wee wee :D.....I am a nit wit.........I read Selby as YORK :wacko:

Edited by mrsmelly

When are setting off?

We are planning to travel from Lemonroyd to Leeds on Saturday - if it helps you could buddy up...

we were going to set off about 7,30 on saturday i just checked on canal plan and it says it would take us about 8.5 hrs to get to you if im right which i think might be to late for you possibly but thanks for the offer your a gent :cheers:

Phone selby locckie soon as possible he will give you info and times for the tidal ouse or the lockie at naburn. The rest is a piece of wee wee :D

hi im setting off from selby boat yard so i think im the right side of ouse lock but i will have to look where naburn is cheers

Phone selby locckie soon as possible he will give you info and times for the tidal ouse or the lockie at naburn. The rest is a piece of wee wee :D.....I am a nit wit.........I read Selby as YORK :wacko:

its ok no worries at least i now know where naburn is thanks :lol:

When you get to the bottom of the Selby Canal then you need to check the river level on the board on the other side of Haddlesley flood lock before you go through the lock: Green - OK no problem, Orange/Amber - Could be a bit lively, take care! Red - Do not proceed!

You've got two locks, Beal Lock and Dole Lock to navigate before you are off the river. The entrance into Dole Lock is the trickier one IIRC.

Same deal at Ferrybridge Flood Lock and Castleford Flood Lock. Unfortunately I don't know of any online reports of the condition on the boards on the River Aire like there is on the Thames.

We've been pounding that stretch regularly this year, and the water levels are pretty well managed.

Watch out for flotsam at Bank Dole Junction (just after Bank Dole Lock.) We've picked up a rope there...

The power has failed at Bulholme Lock a couple of times. They close the locks on either side when that happens (Ferrybridge and Castleford) so you don't get stuck on the river. Also be aware that Castleford lock is closed and the power turned off at night.

Leeds Lock also has a dodgy paddle on the bottom gate: people have been closing the paddles with the gates fully open and this has bent the ironwork. If the lock doesn't activate when you put your key in, you need to gently move the top of the paddle arm (with the white circle on it) away from the gate.

We plan to spend Saturday night in Clarence Dock, so we may see you around there.

When you get to the bottom of the Selby Canal then you need to check the river level on the board on the other side of Haddlesley flood lock before you go through the lock: Green - OK no problem, Orange/Amber - Could be a bit lively, take care! Red - Do not proceed!

You've got two locks, Beal Lock and Dole Lock to navigate before you are off the river. The entrance into Dole Lock is the trickier one IIRC.

Same deal at Ferrybridge Flood Lock and Castleford Flood Lock. Unfortunately I don't know of any online reports of the condition on the boards on the River Aire like there is on the Thames.

thats what ive been finding that there is very little info online about water levels but thanks for the info its appreciated .Ive only just finished my boat to a standard that i can sail her and its been hard going but i only have the bathroom and bedroom to do but i want to get a bit nearer to home so i can spend less time travelling to the boat and more time working on it

We've been pounding that stretch regularly this year, and the water levels are pretty well managed.

Watch out for flotsam at Bank Dole Junction (just after Bank Dole Lock.) We've picked up a rope there...

The power has failed at Bulholme Lock a couple of times. They close the locks on either side when that happens (Ferrybridge and Castleford) so you don't get stuck on the river. Also be aware that Castleford lock is closed and the power turned off at night.

Leeds Lock also has a dodgy paddle on the bottom gate: people have been closing the paddles with the gates fully open and this has bent the ironwork. If the lock doesn't activate when you put your key in, you need to gently move the top of the paddle arm (with the white circle on it) away from the gate.

We plan to spend Saturday night in Clarence Dock, so we may see you around there.

thanks for info its really helpful roughly how much of a stretch is the river part that you mentioned :cheers:

It's going to be busy them...

a mini banter beckons...??

im going to do my best to get to clarence dock for saturday night but dont know if that might be a tall order we shall see i dont want to push my engine to much at first while im running it in but when i get to rodley i think ill do an oil change

Always up for a bit of banter.

thanks for info its really helpful roughly how much of a stretch is the river part that you mentioned :cheers:

I couldn't tell you exactly without looking at the map, but Haddlesey to Leeds is a mix of commercial waterway and navigable river. It's hard to tell without consulting the map because we just enjoy the chug. It's deep, wide and surprisingly pretty. They are all electric locks from Ferrybridge onwards, so it's a very undemanding cruise.

We'll be coming down the Calder on Saturday afternoon and plan to reach Castleford Junction at about 2 o'clock (that's narrowboat 2 o'clock, not work 2 o'clock.)

Have you seen Lemonroyd Lock yet...? :o

Always up for a bit of banter.

no not seen lemonroyd but will find it on google or canal plan why whats wrong with it :unsure:

I couldn't tell you exactly without looking at the map, but Haddlesey to Leeds is a mix of commercial waterway and navigable river. It's hard to tell without consulting the map because we just enjoy the chug. It's deep, wide and surprisingly pretty. They are all electric locks from Ferrybridge onwards, so it's a very undemanding cruise.

We'll be coming down the Calder on Saturday afternoon and plan to reach Castleford Junction at about 2 o'clock (that's narrowboat 2 o'clock, not work 2 o'clock.)

Have you seen Lemonroyd Lock yet...? :o

just looked on google looks deep and i best make sure i head left :o

Not wanting to sound like the harbinger of doom but the Aire at Gargrave and Skipton is massively in flood so unless this relentless rain stops then the rivers will be in the red.

Be careful if they are even in Amber and watch out for the sand barges.

Not wanting to sound like the harbinger of doom but the Aire at Gargrave and Skipton is massively in flood so unless this relentless rain stops then the rivers will be in the red.

thats what i was wondering about with all the rain we are having is there a decent spot to stop before going on river if its on red and how long can you stop

I think I've spent too much time on the Ouse: when the local river can rise or fall 24 feet in 24 hours, a well-managed river like the Aire seems tame.

are they closed because the river is in flood or for some other reason

It will be because the river is in flood, but I'm not sure if it's red or amber (I'll check on the way home tonight). Some times BW are a bit relaxed on opening them again. There's another flood lock at Knostrop, so navigation may not be available from Lemonroyd to Leeds at the moment.

Remember if Clarence Dock flood gates are open, and the weather turns you may be locked in for a while.

It will be because the river is in flood, but I'm not sure if it's red or amber (I'll check on the way home tonight). Some times BW are a bit relaxed on opening them again. There's another flood lock at Knostrop, so navigation may not be available from Lemonroyd to Leeds at the moment.

Remember if Clarence Dock flood gates are open, and the weather turns you may be locked in for a while.

Mmmmm - that's a bummer - we were hoping to do just that on Saturday - we may just pootle up to Woodlesford and get the train in then.

For us not bothered about getting fastened in Clarence dock though if we got there - we like it there.

Mmmmm - that's a bummer - we were hoping to do just that on Saturday - we may just pootle up to Woodlesford and get the train in then.

For us not bothered about getting fastened in Clarence dock though if we got there - we like it there.

I'll send an update late Fri, early Sat..

Phone Louise at Leeds on 0113 281 6871. She will tell you the state of the flood gates. If you leave a message she will always phone back.

As has been said, Bank Dole is the worst lock. There is a floating landing stage upstream of the lock. You need to drop someone off then reverse back. Still a lot easier than it was 15 years ago when the landing stage was just a small platform.

Make sure you keep to the back end of Lemonroyd when going up.

Edited by pearley

I'll send an update late Fri, early Sat..

Cheers appreciated - though just had a chat with Jan and think we are going to just do the hop to Woodlesford anyway.

Have daughter and daughters boyfriend in tow in 'shopping mode' so in some respects if they are laden with shopping it's a better option to go in on the train from there as it gets them right into the centre whereas CD as you know is a little way out and a decent walk or bus ride away anyway.