Ammeter

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Our boat has 4 plus 1 110 amp batteries,a 1600W Victron combi and all works lovely.I would like to fit an ammeter just so i can keep an eye on charge levels.As im not very electrically savvy should i get a man in or is it a fairly simple fitting job? If simple can anyone suggest a good source?

Cheers,

Ian

Something like this from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-0-200A-Blue-LCD-Digital-Ammeter-AMP-Meter-Shunt-/170534979129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4ad4639

Don't touch them personally, but they are cheap and I believe some CWDF members have used them.

You can see how they are wired from the drawing on the site.

Our boat has 4 plus 1 110 amp batteries,a 1600W Victron combi and all works lovely.I would like to fit an ammeter just so i can keep an eye on charge levels.As im not very electrically savvy should i get a man in or is it a fairly simple fitting job? If simple can anyone suggest a good source?

No experience of, but I'd try one of these, as they're supposed to work from the supply being measured.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Cheers,

Ian

I fitted one of these - EBay. It works well for over 4 years

You must fit the shunt into ALL the negatives or you might get spurious readings

There is instructions on fitting it on here some where - If you have a problem finding it PM me.

Alex

an ammeter just so i can keep an eye on charge levels.

An ammeter will not do this, it will tell you what is going in or what is going out at the precise moment you look at it.

As Matty40s allude to if you want to know the level of charge (State Of Charge. SOC) then a Smartgauge is the answer but they are in the region of £160.

Very simple to fit and set-up, two wires and some button pushing.

Valid point.

An ammeter is useful when used in conjunction with a voltmeter or SmartGauge, but doesn't help much with charge levels on its own (except you can see how much power you are using when things are switched on).

Edited by NB Willawaw

An ammeter will not do this, it will tell you what is going in or what is going out at the precise moment you look at it.

As Matty40s allude to if you want to know the level of charge (State Of Charge. SOC) then a Smartgauge is the answer but they are in the region of £160.

Very simple to fit and set-up, two wires and some button pushing.

But it does give you a good indication and a continuous reference to your charge and discharge rates for a few quid

Alex

it will tell you what is going in or what is going out at the precise moment you look at it

a good indication and a continuous reference to your charge and discharge rates

Snap!!!! I think but I did use smaller words I will admit. :lol:

Suspiciously cheap here. Anyone ever used this company?

Tony

Yes I know them and never had a problem. Haven't used them recently though.

Its not that cheap - I normally obtain SG from Cactus Navigation - roughly the same price.

Whoever you use, check that they have stock before you buy.

A lot of these companies take orders (and sometimes payment) without having stock - you then have to wait until it comes in from Merlin.

Suspiciously cheap here. Anyone ever used this company?

Tony

No experience of, but I'd try one of these, as they're supposed to work from the supply being measured.

cheers,

Pete.

A small but important point: there are two types on ebay, one of which can be powered from the batteries being measured and one that can't (or needs an 'isolated' supply (both +ve and -ve)

Something like this from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-0-200A-Blue-LCD-Digital-Ammeter-AMP-Meter-Shunt-/170534979129?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b4ad4639

Don't touch them personally, but they are cheap and I believe some CWDF members have used them.

You can see how they are wired from the drawing on the site.

If you don't touch them personally, why are you recommending them? What is wrong with them?

If you don't touch them personally, why are you recommending them? What is wrong with them?

I cannot answer for Willashaw but one reason I have not used them, though I have the voltmeter equivalents, is the very fine wiring and connector to plumb into your heavy wiring; It just does not feel right B)

I cannot answer for Willashaw but one reason I have not used them, though I have the voltmeter equivalents, is the very fine wiring and connector to plumb into your heavy wiring; It just does not feel right B)

OK. Thanks.