Tom of the Wood

sueb

Featured Posts

News flash for those who, like me, enjoy Black Sheep ale: to my surprise and delight, I found it the other day in my local supermarket in cans. Previously I had seen it only in bottles - how long has it been available in metric-pint cans?

Ah, so you must have tried it from a can to notice the difference? But my point was that Black Sheep in a can has not been on sale for long. Of course I would rather drink it on draught but I can't get over to Tom Of The Wood at the moment!

Last time I was in the Tom Of The Wood, Rowington (a few years ago) a friend of mine paid for his drink with a twenty pound note but was given change for a tenner. When he confronted the bar staff things got nasty and we were asked to leave. Needless to say I have not been there again since, which is a shame as it is a much nicer pub than those in Lapworth as well as being within an easy days boating of central Birmingham with a motor / butty pair.

Thanks for the news Sue.

Does anyone know if the Navigation will reopen?

Unlikely in the near future, I would suggest. We came past about 4 weeks ago and it looked very closed and well vandalised. With 9 pubs closing every week according to CAMRA, a pub like the Navigation that has only passing trade and a few locals (as opposed to a central town pub or gimmick pub) is always going to find it hard. A shame, but the balance sheet doesn't lie.

Last time I was in the Tom Of The Wood, Rowington (a few years ago) a friend of mine paid for his drink with a twenty pound note but was given change for a tenner. When he confronted the bar staff things got nasty and we were asked to leave. Needless to say I have not been there again since, which is a shame as it is a much nicer pub than those in Lapworth as well as being within an easy days boating of central Birmingham with a motor / butty pair.

If it is a few years, then it will have changed hands about three times since then

Richard

If it is a few years, then it will have changed hands about three times since then

Richard

It was the year that the I.W.A. National Rally was at Salford Quays, Manchester as we stopped at The Tom Of The Wood on route. It sounds like it might be O.K. again there now then.

Ah, so you must have tried it from a can to notice the difference? But my point was that Black Sheep in a can has not been on sale for long. Of course I would rather drink it on draught but I can't get over to Tom Of The Wood at the moment!

But why not buy it in bottles?

They're more difficult to carry, Cherts: as a non-driver I have to carry my supermarket shopping across town to the 'bus station, and bottles do weigh heavy compared to tins! Also, tins go in the recycling bin, bottles don't, so we have to transport them to the council tip, whoops, recycling centre.

If, of course, I go shopping with my wife there is no problem, her trusty Subaru can stand a fair bit of weight.

Edited by Athy

They're more difficult to carry, Cherts: as a non-driver I have to carry my supermarket shopping across town to the 'bus station, and bottles do weigh heavy compared to tins! Also, tins go in the recycling bin, bottles don't, so we have to transport them to the council tip, whoops, recycling centre.

If, of course, I go shopping with my wife there is no problem, her trusty Subaru can stand a fair bit of weight.

Ah.

You need a big shopping trolley then. Something like a beer crate on wheels perhaps...

I suppose I could push a biddy-cart around but they aren't very macho! A big shoulder-bag, and sometimes a bag-for-life type carrier bag on the other side for balance, suffices me.

I have to say that I have now sampled - oh all right, knocked back - my trial batch of four cans of Black Sheep, and it does not taste quite the same as the bottled product. It's not quite as drily bitter, but still most acceptable.

Edited by Athy