Fires on boats

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

We have a convector shield fitted on our Squirrel which greatly reduces the radiated heat reaching the tiled wall. Instead there are two thin metal plates on the stove sides and back which are heated first and also increase the heated surface are over which air circulates

DSC01465.jpg

Mick

I believet there is a new stove to appear on the market designed with boats in mind that has a vented air gap between between firebox and exterior. Your shields appear to be pretty close to that idea. Intrested to know if it is available on the market?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know we are past this particular discussion, however a point in relation to GRP boats and fires....

Of course GRP will burn faster than steel boats, however - and this is very boat dependent - there are a few key differences which make it somewhat less of an issue, and I'm using my particular boat as an example here :

- GRP cruisers are naturally (in inland terms) shorter than narrowboats, therefore fires - especially overnight - are likely to be noticed far quicker than a long accomodation with separate rooms. This should provide some time for speedy escape.

- Many GRPs will have outboard engines and 12v electics. Part of the workflow when at the boat will be doing things like shutting off fuel and gas lines, and the majority of GRPs will not have generators running overnight necessitating some fuel usage.

- Most cookers on GRPs will be gas powered and if people are sensible, will be disconnected from the gas bottles when not in use (Ventilation is the biggest issue here that has to be adhered to). Same goes for hot water systems, showers etc. This is compared to the solid-fuel stoves/heating often found in NBs.

- I can't speak for others, but as a smoker I've never had a problem not smoking inside the GRP cabin, as it feels so enclosed and potentially dangerous. If cigarettes are only smoked in the cockpit, and are extinguished properly there should be no problem. This is a key difference with a nb, where the area for outside smoking is more limited (esp in bad weather) and the more spacious interior may create a false sense of security.

I'm not saying fire isn't as big a hazard on GRP as NBs, and certainly not wanting to tempt fate or be too complacent - however I think the avaerage GRP cruiser may present fewer opportunities for fires to start (vandalism notwithstanding) than a NB. And when it does, you should know about it sooner and be quicker to escape - in theory at least.

All the comments about proper fire equipment are true regardless of vessel

• 2 weeks later...

I know we are past this particular discussion, however a point in relation to GRP boats and fires....

Of course GRP will burn faster than steel boats, however - and this is very boat dependent - there are a few key differences which make it somewhat less of an issue, and I'm using my particular boat as an example here :

- GRP cruisers are naturally (in inland terms) shorter than narrowboats, therefore fires - especially overnight - are likely to be noticed far quicker than a long accomodation with separate rooms. This should provide some time for speedy escape.

- Many GRPs will have outboard engines and 12v electics. Part of the workflow when at the boat will be doing things like shutting off fuel and gas lines, and the majority of GRPs will not have generators running overnight necessitating some fuel usage.

- Most cookers on GRPs will be gas powered and if people are sensible, will be disconnected from the gas bottles when not in use (Ventilation is the biggest issue here that has to be adhered to). Same goes for hot water systems, showers etc. This is compared to the solid-fuel stoves/heating often found in NBs.

- I can't speak for others, but as a smoker I've never had a problem not smoking inside the GRP cabin, as it feels so enclosed and potentially dangerous. If cigarettes are only smoked in the cockpit, and are extinguished properly there should be no problem. This is a key difference with a nb, where the area for outside smoking is more limited (esp in bad weather) and the more spacious interior may create a false sense of security.

I'm not saying fire isn't as big a hazard on GRP as NBs, and certainly not wanting to tempt fate or be too complacent - however I think the avaerage GRP cruiser may present fewer opportunities for fires to start (vandalism notwithstanding) than a NB. And when it does, you should know about it sooner and be quicker to escape - in theory at least.

All the comments about proper fire equipment are true regardless of vessel

With nearly ten years in looking at fire incidents in boats now, I don't think it is possible to generalise GRP cruiser v steel narrowboat. GRP can burn very nastily, but with all the fuels, lining materials, insulation, furniture and personal clutter often found on narrowboats, these can burn out in under half an hour.

We have published a new Stay-Safe microsite, it should help the OP with her questions - see http://staysafe.boatsafetyscheme.com/fire-safety-for-boats

Fires and CO incidents on boats are not that common, but it is often complacency that is a root to many causes, whether they be linked to faulty installations, or linked to poor maintenance, or incorrect operation.

Oh and deliberate fire setting is, year after year, the single most common cause.

I hope the information on the website is useful, we will be publishing more as I get time to post it.

Regards

Rob@BSSOffice

Found these 2 in the 'graveyard' at the marina where Im moored, not sure how or why the fires occured onboard these vessels but it just shows how much damage fire can do to both a NB and GRP

380047_10150891747405109_837270108_21259686_663871114_n.jpg

294081_10150891746570109_837270108_21259672_1872926377_n.jpg

Sobering photographs aside as a day to day risk I would be more concerned about carbon monoxide. I'm quite happy with my installation, fabricated one piece flue, two gentle bends (about a third the 30deg figure I have read as a suggested max).Five foot from top of stove to roof and probably another two foot of chimney so not ideal but fairly standard for a a boat and last night on a foggy damp night with no wind the CO detector went off for the first time (60ppm). I would never operate a solid fuel stove without one in the same room.