Bridgewater Canal Licence cost

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

I'm doing a comparison of licence fee costs for navigable waterways around the UK to try and prevent a large raise in navigation fees on our home waterway, the Cam, by the Cam Conservancy.

I've got quite stuck with the Bridgewater Canal. After searching for a good hour, there are many references to a Bridgewater Canal licence, but no details anywhere, not even their own website, Peel Holdings, or anywhere, on how much it costs. Does anyone know?

I also found out that they have a reciprocal arrangement with BW, where Bridgewater licence holders can navigate on BW waters for a reduced rate, does anyone know if that is applied in reverse, as in, BW licence holders can go on the Bridgewater? I'm interested because the Cam Conservancy have a reciprocal arrangement with the Environment Agency, and this is under threat.

I'm doing a comparison of licence fee costs for navigable waterways around the UK to try and prevent a large raise in navigation fees on our home waterway, the Cam, by the Cam Conservancy.

I've got quite stuck with the Bridgewater Canal. After searching for a good hour, there are many references to a Bridgewater Canal licence, but no details anywhere, not even their own website, Peel Holdings, or anywhere, on how much it costs. Does anyone know?

I also found out that they have a reciprocal arrangement with BW, where Bridgewater licence holders can navigate on BW waters for a reduced rate, does anyone know if that is applied in reverse, as in, BW licence holders can go on the Bridgewater? I'm interested because the Cam Conservancy have a reciprocal arrangement with the Environment Agency, and this is under threat.

If I remember correctly a BW licence allows 2 weeks on the Bridgwater, See http://www.waterscape.com/canals-and-rivers/bridgewater-canal/boating

Only 1 week it seems

Edited by ditchcrawler

Hi James,

I don't have the 2011 license costs with me and off the top of my head I don't have a clue how much I paid for my Bridgewater license last year but from Jan 2010 to Dec 2010, I paid £215.51 for a concessionary private/pleasure boat British Waterways license.

The actual costs for a 12 month private/pleasure boat concessionary license from the Bridgewater Canal Co. between Jan 2010 and Dec 2010 was 215.51. This was for a 50ft Narrowboat. This entitles you to cruise all over any British Waterways waters.

The reciprocal agreement for Bridgewater license holders is as far as Barbridge to the west, Harecastle Tunnel to the south, and somewhere along the stretch of the Leeds & Liverpool to the north. It was altered a year or so ago when they opened up the Liverpool link but I can't remember the details on this.

Edited to add: I've just looked through my accounts and I've noted down £500 for the Bridgewater license for 2011, with £400 being for my 2011 moorings. This sounds about right as I remember the total cost being under £1,000.

At our club interview this evening, it turned out that one of the committee had just been made aware of next years charges.

We were told that our Bridgewater licence for 2012 will cost just short of £1000 for our 45ft boat, and someone with a 57ft boat was told just over £1000. I think a 22ft boat was just over £500.

Apparently they have increased by 5%

I may have misheard, but I don't think so.

For my 40ft narrowboat the annual cost from January 2011 should have been £416.00p. The cost was reduced by £35.00p for early payment and reduced again by £9.00p for early payment before new VAT rules came in. The actual cost paid was £372.00p.

As Liam says the BW Reciprocal Arrangement means we can sail on BW waters without charge for one week but must not go further than Harecastle Tunnel, Barbridge Junction and normally Burscough but this has been extended to Liverpool from 1.1.2009 to 31.12.2013 and I think you are allowed a further 7 days if you go to Liverpool.

If I wish to sail past these points I must purchase a BW short term licence.

Steve

We were told that our Bridgewater licence for 2012 will cost just short of £1000 for our 45ft boat, and someone with a 57ft boat was told just over £1000. I think a 22ft boat was just over £500.

Is that including moorings? I priced up Bridgewater a couple of years ago and it was about 800 for a 58 foot boat combining the two IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Response from Mike Webb to my email of yesterday. The charges are split into licence and mooring fees, although I'm not sure thatvyou could pay one without the other? 45ft boat.

"The cost of a licence from the 1st October to 31st December is as follows

Cruising Licence £135

Mooring fee payable directly to this company in addition to fees paid to Watch House CC £167.33

Boat number fee one off payment £16.50

Total £318.83

Fees for 2012 for a 45 foot craft moored at Watch House

Licence £389

Mooring Fee £527

Total £916

May be paid by Direct Debit over 12 months total cost £934.44"

Cheers,

Richard