Starting out......dont despair

Featured Posts

Starting to wish I never started to read this thread, lol! So how often can I expect to fall in, as a person who has never driven a boat before..?

I've been boating for nearly 4 years, I've not fallen in. Getting on/off the boat is the most likely time you will fall in so use the three points of contact rule.

I've been boating for nearly 4 years, I've not fallen in. Getting on/off the boat is the most likely time you will fall in so use the three points of contact rule.

Been told your not a proper boater unless you've fallen in! I however have fell in twice, but that dont make me a proper boater just a silly embarrased sod for not watching what Im doin!!! :lol:

Oooo, famous last words :)

Oh dear :)

To be honest, because Clarence Dock is quite deep and the ladders for getting out of the water on to the pontoon are only at the other end or where I moor and I mainly cruise the Aire and Calder falling in may be the last thing I do!

I was a horse rider for years and competed nationally but fell off a lot, I have been a biker for eight years and came off God knows how many times in my first few years, no matter that I am not a mad rider...

I'm going to be in it all the time, I am dead clumsy, and I think I'm more likely to sleep on the verge than risk climbing on when I've been to the pub!

• 2 weeks later...

I was a horse rider for years and competed nationally but fell off a lot, I have been a biker for eight years and came off God knows how many times in my first few years, no matter that I am not a mad rider...

I'm going to be in it all the time, I am dead clumsy, and I think I'm more likely to sleep on the verge than risk climbing on when I've been to the pub!

LOOL, Ive been riding bikes for over 15 years... & wrote a bike off every year (always in February) for the 1st 10 years. So I guess from that, if I ever get my boat, I'll probably be falling in every year for god knows how long... I just hope all the bits of metal holding me together don't weigh me down too much when I do fall in!

1 of my bike vids

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Interesting that the grp boater finds that other grps wave to him and nbs don't; as a narrowboater I find the opposite, other nbs wave but grps usually look down in horror. Mind you when we'rebout on the roads we wave to other Volvo 240s but not to every car we see, so perhaps itbit natural to try to make contact with your own type, especially wherebyou're in the minority.

Do not keep your phone in your pocket, it is this that will cause you to fall in. That's my superstition anyway.

Apologies for the appalling ipad typing. It's just too much to correct it all!

Edited by Chertsey

I wish people wouldn't make light of falling off the boat. Stick your hand down the weed hatch and see how cold that water is at the mo. I rescued a guy some years ago who had fallen in the river Bure. Reckons he was very close to being a gonner and did not see the funny side of it at all.

As regards the OP, you have to bear in mind that boating has its ups and downs and not everyone you meet will be all smiles and waves especially if they have just broken a fan belt and don't have a spare...

As for this boat snobbery the only example I have ever come across was a yachtsman who most definately viewed those in cheap grp cruisers as third class citizens but then yotties are a strange breed.. Snobbery is about people not boats, though I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by our first experience on the Thames this year. Almost without exception everyone waved or spoke (maybe they felt sorry for us) mind you even the lockies were cheerful so maybe it' was just the good weather.

For the OP, sorry things did not go so well on your first time out.

But like your attituide of laugh things off should put you in good stead.

Oh and no you are not the only one who sounds their horn and slows down at blind spots and such, if you meet someone coming the other way doing the same it will likely be us.

All be it on a hire boat not our own you lucky sod lol.

Enjoy your boat :cheers:

Interesting that the grp boater finds that other grps wave to him and nbs don't; as a narrowboater I find the opposite, other nbs wave but grps usually look down in horror. Mind you when we'rebout on the roads we wave to other Volvo 240s but not to every car we see, so perhaps itbit natural to try to make contact with your own type, especially wherebyou're in the minority.

I must admit I do the same on bikes, I'll nod to other bikers, even when they are on L plates on some crappy little 50cc motorbike, but not to Scooters & mopeds.

It's a shame you have had a negative start ----- I still find that the vast majority of people out on the canal are very social, as you are hopefully now finding. Must second what Neil says --- falling in, particularly in a tricky spot is not a joking matter. If you miss your footing, you can be gone down in a blink and getting back out can be seriously tricky, particularly if you have any rickety joints or infirmities. I've been in twice and didn't enjoy either time one little bit. When you're getting on or off the boat, or at locks, don't run, don't jump and look where your feet are going. May sound silly, but it's curious how that pesky bank seems to move away from your stationary boat !

Mike.

why didnt I think of that !!!! Another good idea Ive just read is putting your mobile in a jam jar incase you drop it...because I just know Im going to fall in at some point. Got very close on Sunday trying to look cool..

so your gonna have a jam jar in your pocket! What phone is it a Blackberry!!! Get it???