Repairs to a riveted iron hull...

MtB

Featured Posts

Reginald is very slowly taking on water in the riveted iron section forward of the engine room.

We've had virtually no rain in the five weeks it took for three inches of water to accumulate under the floor so I'm reasonably sure it really is the hull leaking and not the deck, portholes, doors or roof.

There seems to be two schools of thought on repairing a riveted iron hull. Several people have suggested lifting the boat out and welding patches over any suspect areas. I'm wondering if this is the only approach as it doesn't seem very historically 'sound', especially if the problem is found to be rusted/missing rivets below the waterline. If it is, welding over missing rivets seems a bit crass, yet making and fitting new real rivets seems a bit over the top given this boat is 'only' a converted joey in the first place. But then again I wouldn't want to do loads of welding only to find it widely considered I'd messed up a historic hull....

In addition, several rivets are missing from the rubbing strakes at the bow. I don't suppose these are helping with watertightness either. Weld over the holes, or replace with real rivets...

Just thinking aloud in this post really. Any opinions on how to go about repairing this, anyone?

Cheers, Mike

I've been working on a riveted iron or steel boat and some of the rivets are missing. I've been told the plates were cold rivetted. If you want to maintain the historic authenticity of your boat then doing what was originally done is probably the only way I would have thought.

I've been working on a riveted iron or steel boat and some of the rivets are missing. I've been told the plates were cold rivetted. If you want to maintain the historic authenticity of your boat then doing what was originally done is probably the only way I would have thought.

Well yes, my concern exactly!

The point is, the historical authenticity has already been wrecked by the addition of a counter stern, engine and a cabin. Maybe you have clarified my thinking... :D

Cheers, Mike

Welding is usually quicker & much cheaper, but there are times when rivetting, or a mix of the two, can be preferred, not just for aesthetic reasons.

Difficult to offer any real opinions or guidance without seeing the actual problems.

Tim

Unless the complete hull, and the bottom, are fully riveted, welding has already been used on your hull. Riveting repairs, just for the sake of it, is, in my opinion, an expensive extravagence on anything other than an original, recognised, historical boat.

Does she still have a riveted bottom ?

the cabin,front and back deck's,gunnels,counter swim and engine bearers are all welded so i wouldnt waste your time rivitting the old tug..the conversion is getting old enough to be vintage in its own rite...be nice to get it out the water and put it on a diet and straighten it up a little though..

Welding is usually quicker & much cheaper, but there are times when rivetting, or a mix of the two, can be preferred, not just for aesthetic reasons.

Difficult to offer any real opinions or guidance without seeing the actual problems.

Tim

+1 on this.

If it's a leaky rivet, replacing the rivet is probably the easiest way. If it is a perforated plate, welding in a patch is probably the easiest way. So it really depends what the problem is

Richard

Thanks for repies everybody. We've been away since starting the thread hence my lack of input...

Looks like I need to get the boat out and have a look before making any decisions. Any suggestions as to where would be a good place on the Shroppie?

Boat is currently near Norbury. Maybe I should get him* docked at Norbury Wharf just for a day to get a closer look at the hull, then decide what work to do and plan it in detail for later.

Mike

*I find it difficult to refer to a boat with a boy's name as 'her'!

This is the bow of Heart of Gold, as I bought her. Unfortunately I don't have any recent ictures stored on line as yet, but as an idea, the original lower rubbing strake on the right (left in the picture)had worn away, and was filled in with a piece of solid strip steel, shaped to fit. a few patches had to be over plated, which was all done with welding. I think it adds to the patchwork and shows the progress over 114 years of her life.

med_gallery_9118_582_165319.jpg

Edited by luctor et emergo