Sky

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

As a Grand Prix fan can anyone tell me how I get connected to Sky?

I have spoken to them but have been told that as I live on a boat I cannot have a system because I have no fixed phone line.

Regards,

Stuart

Get it for a house then take it to the boat..

I think it is mainly to prevent our near European neighbours having ( cheaper) UK SKY service and without a TV licence.

I know of someone who lived for a few months each year in France and wanted a box out there too, so registered as "Mr Smith" in "Flat 1", at his residential address, then took the system out there. The fact it has never been connected to a landline doesn't matter, and when the odd phone call or two comes in each year, asking to speak to him, whoever was in the house just says he's "on holiday at the moment"...

Nick

My Dad and brother are huge F1 fans - they live in a house but don't want to get Sky installed.

As an alternative this might be an option linky- under the banner "Sky Go Monthly Ticket" click on the 'Show Monthly Ticket Option' button (on the right) and it gives you prices to be able to get Sky TV on a monthly basis via the internet/smart phone/ipad.

You coud get this on your laptop and watch on TV and only pay for the months that F1 is on......

I haven't investigated properly yet so sorry if it's not any good....

Edited to say it does seem as pricey as getting a satelite system from Sky, but as it's on a monthly contract and your not paying for installation then it's probably the best option if your a big F1 fan....

Edited by Bodkin

I have a Sky subscription ...and no home address.

The phone line doesn't affect it.

In their 'blurb'...they do say ' the unit should always be connected to the mains and a phone line'...etc etc.

Obvioulsy...mine is only connect\ed when I turn on the invertor.

You cannot use the interactive stuff...although you can press red and access Sky text.

I had a big conversation with the guy at the Sky main office technical department...when I first wanted a unit.I told him...I live on a boat and move..and there is no phone line. He told me..that the phone line is handy for various occasional software updates..but not essential. he also told me..that at night...your home box sends data back to Sky about the channels you watched and keeps their viewing figures up to date...and allows them to asses the popularity of each individuall chanel.

You need a home address registered (not necessarily where its used)...to receive new cards

A while back...they switch off the old blue cards...and issued new grey ones..

My Sky box..is one I bought for £10....and is not HD.

As I do not live on the boat in winter..I go abroad..sometiomes when I return after 6 months...it may not work. I just phone them up...and within a short time..maybe 5 minutes..they have it back on.

Sky have always been aware that I have it on a boat...and have always been happy with that.

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I love F1 and watch every race avidly and have done since it was first broadcast, but there is no way will I be forced into subscribing to Sky just to watch F1. There is nothing else on Sky that I need and if enough people stop watching F1 for even a short while, it may force a rethink. If the viewing figures drop, so will advertising revenue as there is no way that F1 will attract new subscribers to Sky in the way that football did.

If the big advertisers and sponsors start to shy away then Bernie Ecclestone will soon see the error of his ways. It's all a great shame as I think the current F1 BBC team and coverage is the best it has ever been. I do believe though that the BBC will be showing 10 races in full and extended highlights of the rest :)

Roger

You only need to be connected to a phone line if you partake in their offer of a free box, and then only for the first 12 months.

We have had Sky on board for several years now and have only reconected it to a landline at our mooring in the last 2 years and that was because we upgraded to HD+.

When i filled in the application online they asked what type of property we lived in. If I remember rightly I clicked on static mobile home. The engineer turned up on the day and had no problem that it was a boat

As a Grand Prix fan can anyone tell me how I get connected to Sky?

I have spoken to them but have been told that as I live on a boat I cannot have a system because I have no fixed phone line.

Regards,

Stuart

Hi if you purchase the equipment namely...Dish and a Sky Sat box all you then require is a post coded address....tell them you have all the equipment and need nowt from them except the card to watch some pay per view channels...get the card put it in the box get Sky to activate it and alls done....

Martyn...

Hi if you purchase the equipment namely...Dish and a Sky Sat box all you then require is a post coded address....tell them you have all the equipment and need nowt from them except the card to watch some pay per view channels...get the card put it in the box get Sky to activate it and alls done....

Martyn...

Dtto.

I ordered mine over the phone...told them I had dish and box....and lived on a boat.

They took my bank details and posted the card to a post address.

bob