My Dipstick has fallen off!

Painter Type

Featured Posts

Hi,

My PRM dipstick has sheared of it's plug cap.

It has always been stiff to screw in and out and has a bit gouged out almost half way down which doesn't look so great.

Managed to fish it out intact with a pencil magnet.

Anybody else had a similar problem with their PRM 260 gearbox (160 in my case)

Cheers

Hi,

It has always been stiff to screw in and out and has a bit gouged out almost half way down which doesn't look so great.

Cheers

No, except that when I dismantled our gearbox, there was a sheared off dipstick hiding in the corner. The one I was using was OK...

I wonder if they vibrate and fatigue through

Richard

Hi,

Cheers

:smiley_offtopic: Sorry for one minute I thought it was a female saying in other terms her partner/husband had fell off the boat into the water!! :blink:

It may be that the damage has been caused by the dipstick being pushed in at an angle and it has been rubbing against one of the shafts. We had the same problem when a box was supplied from new and the reason was pointed out by PRM fitter who we called out when the it failed after fifty hours use. Careful insertion always pays dividends. Regards, HughC.

It may be that the damage has been caused by the dipstick being pushed in at an angle and it has been rubbing against one of the shafts. We had the same problem when a box was supplied from new and the reason was pointed out by PRM fitter who we called out when the it failed after fifty hours use. Careful insertion always pays dividends. Regards, HughC.

The dipstick is an integral part of the filler cap, and is screwed in when you fit the cap.

Richard

Well I have decided not to fit another dipstick and use a notched welding rod to check the oil level. It's hapenned once and I would hate for it to happen again and result in serious damage.

Well I have decided not to fit another dipstick and use a notched welding rod to check the oil level. It's hapenned once and I would hate for it to happen again and result in serious damage.

If you paint the rod matt black, it may well be easier to read than the original dipstick

Richard