Tow help please

Timujin

Featured Posts

Having just brought a project boat that needs a new engine I could do with some help getting it to Stockton Top lock on the GU from bridge 32 just outside Radford Semele near Warwick. A passing tow would be very gratefully received (and paid for) within next week if possible. Please ring Chris on 07870745059.

Many thanks

Having just brought a project boat that needs a new engine I could do with some help getting it to Stockton Top lock on the GU from bridge 32 just outside Radford Semele near Warwick. A passing tow would be very gratefully received (and paid for) within next week if possible. Please ring Chris on 07870745059.

Many thanks

Taking a paid tow would invalidate most boat's insurance, so I am not sure that offering money helps. And most boaters who are prepared to give a tow in circumstances like yours aren't it it for the money.

Better if its just your round at the pubs you pass!

David

Have stuck a sign on the back of your boat?

I always stopped for such a request so you should get one soon enough.

I agree, bung a big sign on the back "TOW NEEDED PLEASE HELP." or similar. I would certainly assist if I saw such a sign.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Offer of payment was for trouble and diesel I don't think it is fair to expect people do do something for nothing these days, although I accept that narrow boat owners are very different. Sign on the boat a good idea many thanks

Chris

Offer of payment was for trouble and diesel I don't think it is fair to expect people do do something for nothing these days, although I accept that narrow boat owners are very different. Sign on the boat a good idea many thanks

Chris

If I saw a sign like that, I'd definately stop and help...who wouldnt. Paying a bit for diesel would be nice, but I dont think many would expect payment for their "trouble" ......I know I wouldn't because it might be me stuck somewhere needing a tow next time....although I would probably want to pay anyone for their trouble...and then hope they refuse to take it, like I would :)

If I saw a sign like that, I'd definately stop and help...who wouldnt. Paying a bit for diesel would be nice, but I dont think many would expect payment for their "trouble" ......I know I wouldn't because it might be me stuck somewhere needing a tow next time....although I would probably want to pay anyone for their trouble...and then hope they refuse to take it, like I would :)

I would settle for copious amounts of tea and biscuits :)

Chris

We stopped for a broken down boat last year on the Trent & Mersey. He had put a sign on the stern of his boat asking for a tow.

We towed him from Morris Minor bend through Saltersford and Barnton tunnels to his destination at Orchard Marina.

We refused any payment and told him to return the favour to someone else who has the misfortune to break down.

Steve

Many thanks

Just a final note to say the 'TOW Please'sign on the back worked a treat (many thanks for the advice). We were collected by a hire boat with a Navy crew who were brilliant (so not a hire people are mad !) thanks to them and anyone who gave advice.

We stopped for a broken down boat last year on the Trent & Mersey. He had put a sign on the stern of his boat asking for a tow.

We towed him from Morris Minor bend through Saltersford and Barnton tunnels to his destination at Orchard Marina.

We refused any payment and told him to return the favour to someone else who has the misfortune to break down.

Steve

Pear Tree Turn, please ;)

Tim

Just a final note to say the 'TOW Please'sign on the back worked a treat (many thanks for the advice). We were collected by a hire boat with a Navy crew who were brilliant (so not a hire people are mad !) thanks to them and anyone who gave advice.

And probably completely without insurance, as hire boaters aren't normally allowed to tow. Also most peoples private insurance doesn't allow them to tow either.

Still, I'm glad my boat wasn't in the area to hit.

Mike

ps. One thing to help someone out, another to take on a job such as this with or without payment.

Also most peoples private insurance doesn't allow them to tow either.

Mike, Are you sure of this? Most of the narrowboat insurance policeis I have seen are entirely silent on the point. This could be interpreted as meaning that towing is covered. Or it could be that the insurers would regard it as one of the things you have to notify them about on the basis that the onus is on the insured to advise anything if they are unsure.

Accepting payment is out, as this would presumably constitute 'hire and reward'.

David

Mike, Are you sure of this? Most of the narrowboat insurance policeis I have seen are entirely silent on the point. This could be interpreted as meaning that towing is covered. Or it could be that the insurers would regard it as one of the things you have to notify them about on the basis that the onus is on the insured to advise anything if they are unsure.

Accepting payment is out, as this would presumably constitute 'hire and reward'.

David

Since I wanted to tow with my boat, I asked the question outright of two insurance companies. However, I'm not entirly sure where you stand if it doesn't say you can't do something in an insurance policy - they do seem to be clever at finding some way out of paying up. Sometime you don't get the full yeahs and nays, which I'd say is very unfair.

Mike

If you dont stop and tow people when they need it, then you can't expect help when you need it, and somewhere there is a pissed spring mattress lying in wait on the bottom of the cut with your name on it !

I didn't say not to help where it's desperately needed, that is usually allowed by the insurance, but from one safe mooring to another is a different thing.

Mike

And probably completely without insurance, as hire boaters aren't normally allowed to tow. Also most peoples private insurance doesn't allow them to tow either.

Still, I'm glad my boat wasn't in the area to hit.

Mike

ps. One thing to help someone out, another to take on a job such as this with or without payment.

Well my insurance policy states that I may assist or TOW boats in " Distress"

Asking for a tow certainly works. You never know who you might meet. I once towed the "Hesperus" for a short distance when she was out of position. Strangely on that occasion, she had been passed by several ex-working boats who had ignored her crew's requests, ( I wonder if they were upset about something?)