boat polish

Featured Posts

Good idea, but not for the novice. Polishing a boat takes skill and practice, and you shouldn't try it until you are familiar with the technique. You will quite soon acquire the necessary experience; meet me at Ryan's Bridge tomorrow morning - Life of Riley, 2nd boat north - I'll give you some money towards the polish.

Hi thought i would just ask all you learn'ed people what is the best polish to use on a boat cabin?? As spring is almost here thought i should polish the boat

David

The Carnauba wax from Phil Speight is the best that Ive found.

Tommo

I use Mer. Once a year I use it neat then occasionally during the year I wash it down with just a capful of Mer in a bucketful of water.

In both cases the technique is the same - wipe it on (very quick & easy when using it diluted, takes about a half hour with a sponge to do the whole boat; rather longer when neat takes about 4 hours) then go and have a cup of coffee or a glass of beer. Then another. And another if you feel like it. It will dry to a white powder which you just wipe over with a dry cloth. The weather MUST be dry, the cloth must be dry, you must have left it long enough to be dry.

Very little effort, and it restores and keeps a good shine. There are probably a million reasons why it's not the right product to use - but it's never given any problems including when repainting was needed, unlike (I'm told) car-type wax polish which makes repainting almost impossible.

Allan

I use MER. It's good, but hard work.

I like the idea of using it watered down. I've always used it neat, 2 or 3 times a year. If I could do the boat in half an hour that would be very tempting!

Good idea, but not for the novice. Polishing a boat takes skill and practice, and you shouldn't try it until you are familiar with the technique. You will quite soon acquire the necessary experience; meet me at Ryan's Bridge tomorrow morning - Life of Riley, 2nd boat north - I'll give you some money towards the polish.

Gosh alec that is so kind of you, is there any chance I could have some lessons too please? How much do you charge an hour for tuition?

Gosh alec that is so kind of you, is there any chance I could have some lessons too please? How much do you charge an hour for tuition?

Of course you can Cafnod. I practise a very hands-on approach to tuition as far as the pupils are concerned, and to avoid damaging their boat I insist that they polish mine. I don't charge for tuition but you would have to bring your own polish.

Of course you can Cafnod. I practise a very hands-on approach to tuition as far as the pupils are concerned, and to avoid damaging their boat I insist that they polish mine. I don't charge for tuition but you would have to bring your own polish.

Can I come too, I have my own recipe for polish I will bring some along:

Beeswax enhanced with drill swarf to give it some body and applied with a copper pan scrubber. I am pretty sure it will work Ok but we will soon find out.

Can I come too, I have my own recipe for polish I will bring some along:

Beeswax enhanced with drill swarf to give it some body and applied with a copper pan scrubber. I am pretty sure it will work Ok but we will soon find out.

You may find the wax a little too solid in this cold weather, may I recommend thinning it all down slightly with a little brake fluid?

Oh! I've just remembered! Health & Safety Directives require that you can only polish your own boat. What a shame, some of those polish recipes sounded really good.

What a shame it took me ages to get the paint stripper into the boat polish bottle.