Jam 'Ole Run

Rubyretro

Featured Posts

You may find better luck seeking traffic to and from John Dickinson's Paper Mills HERE. They started mills around Apsley and Nash in the early 1800's.

One book to seek out is Gladwin's 'Victorian & Edwardian Canals from old photographs' ISBN 0-7134-3061-3.

Hi !

I'm really interested in the Jam 'Ole Run in the late 1880s, taking coal down to Brentford, and to the Kearley and Tonge factories.

Where is the best place to get information, and old victorian photographs ?

LATE 1880'S are you being serious?

Edited by Laurence Hogg

The Jam Ole run didn't start until 1995, when Tim Coghlan started the re-enactment. During the traffic, boaters didn't call it that, just "Coal for the Jam 'ole" if someone asked them what they were doing.

http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Hi -well, first of all, thanks for the replies !

I confess straight up that I have a twofold interest in posing this question :

My first interest in asking about the Jam Ole Run was because I'm interested in Jack the Ripper. Don't all groan..I'm interested in History altogether, and the Whitechapel murders of 1888 give an introduction to the much wider social history of the UK, in much the same way that

Canal History must also open a door to a different angle on British History in general.

One thing that I am interested in, concerning the Ripper murders, is the Kearley and Tonge factory in Mitre Square -the site of the murder of Catherine Eddowes. Also, that there was a Kearley and Tonge factory in Buck's Row, site of the murder of Polly Nichols (that factory might have existed at a later date..I'm not an expert, and I don't know for sure).

A 'witness' to the Eddowes murder (and maybe not a witness at all ?) described someone looking like a 'sailor' as the suspect, in a peaked cap

with a red neckerchief.

I was just wondering what canal workers bringing coal to this factory would wear ?

What would the life of a canal worker at this time typically be ?

If the Jam Ole didn't exist at this time, how did Kearley and Tonge fuel their factories ?

What was the route of the Jam Ole ? and where were men typically engaged for work ?

Where did the boats stop ?

I do have a secondary reason for joining this site..all the questions I've asked about the Jam Ole are surely equally interesting without JTR in the equation, and about any of the old canal routes...they really attract me.

<snip>

I was just wondering what canal workers bringing coal to this factory would wear ? Ordinary working men's clothes

What would the life of a canal worker at this time typically be ? There are plenty of books on this

If the Jam Ole didn't exist at this time, how did Kearley and Tonge fuel their factories ? With coal. The Jam Hole |Run was a recreation of one particular delivery run to one particular factory

<snip>

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Kearley & Tonge had a warehouse and head offices in Mitre Square as far as I can tell. What coal they used there would almost certainly have arrived by horse and cart. Any reference to possible 'Seamen' would almost undoubtedly be because they were Seamen! The Port of London is on the doorstep.

There is a thread with pictures of Kearley & Tonge, and more details on Jack the Ripper HERE.

Some history of Kearley & Tonge HERE.

Edit to add:

There are two booklets available that might be of interest;

'Through London by Canal 1885' which is (was?) a British Waterways Production ISBN 0 903218 17 8 24 pages in length with full page illustrations every other page,

'On The Canal' by John Hollingshead. Narrative of a journey from London to Birmingham in 1858. Published 1973, 48 pages with many illustrations, available from the Waterways Museum Stoke Bruerne, but possibly elsewhere.

Both these booklets were priced at less than £1, but this was over thirty years ago!

Edited by Derek R.