Cracked engine block

Featured Posts

I have just been looking at an ad for a boat in need of refitting.

It says it has a Kubota 3 cyl diesel with a cracked engine block. I am not sure which part of the engine is the 'block' Is this terminal or just bloody expensive?

Edited by Sunset Rising

It says it has a Kubota 3 cyl diesel with a cracked engine block. I am not sure which part of the engine is the 'block' Is this terminal or just bloody expensive?

Both. It's the big, erm, block, of metal the cylinders are in.

It means at the very least you will need to budget for a "short" Kubota 3 cylinder engine. I'm wondering if this is the same as a fork-lift engine, in which case you may be able to find one

Richard

Worth getting checked professionally. It could be loosing fluid and the owner thinks the block is cracked when its a blown gasket, failed seal or a core plug leaking. These are reasonable DIY jobs if you're handy with engines and have the right tools. If the blocks cracked then its either a welding job or a new block (if you can find one), neither are cheap. Could be terminal i.e. new engine, but get an expert to look at it.

Edited by Chalky

It means at the very least you will need to budget for a "short" Kubota 3 cylinder engine. I'm wondering if this is the same as a fork-lift engine, in which case you may be able to find one

Richard

And a high buggeration factor of changing all of the bits from engine to another.

If you can't get a short block comparable to the existing unit, an engine swap to a different make/model is a very high buggeration factor.

At that point, it might be a walk away and find something else.

Worth getting checked professionally. It could be loosing fluid and the owner thinks the block is cracked when its a blown gasket, failed seal or a core plug leaking. These are reasonable DIY jobs if you're handy with engines and have the right tools. If the blocks cracked then its either a welding job or a new block (if you can find one), neither are cheap. Could be terminal i.e. new engine, but get an expert to look at it.

I would suggest that as the OP doesn't know what a cracked block (or an uncracked block) is. I would think this is highly unlikely ;)

I had assumed the block was the main engine casing but hoped it was just a top part or some other replaceable bit. How would that get cracked, lack of oil or some such ?

Three cylinder sounds like it might be a fairly low horse power ( probably wrong ) and this is a 60 ft boat. Would the beds etc be changable to put a new, bigger engine in ?

3 Cylinders - 1001cc - 25bhp max at 3,600 rev/min - 150Kg

This is Beta Marines, three cylinder Kubota, specification.

Cylinder blocks 'crack' usually because of over heating, lack of water or oil, would do it or the engine has been abused, over reved for a long period.

Does seem a rather 'small' engine for a sixty footer to my way of thinking.

As for replacing, with different 'larger' engine it will depend on the space where the engine is fitted.

My opinion and that is all it is, I would walk and find another boat.

Unless of course if the boat was free. :lol:

Alternatively, blocks crack through having no anti-freeze and bursting when ice forms in the water jacket

Richard

PJ, I'm in the middle of an engine swap on a Peugeot 106 just now, which is skewing my judgement

I'd say a cracked block was probably caused by frost damage. All manner of other damage is likely too so best budget for a new engine. A ball park figure of £8k would be about right including installation costs. Or spend a load of time looking for a decent second hand engine for say, £3k plus installation. Call it £5k.

As they say the boat needs 'refitting' too, I'd suggest it's current value is about the same as five tons of scrap steel. How Much are they asking?

Mike

my local boatyard is a bit of a general scrap dealer as well, and when discussing these engines the non marinised versions are common in little tractors and streetsweeping machines, and normally sell in second hand working order for £100 per cylinder - if the present engine has the right marinising parts a lucky fella could do well!

just a thought

paul

my local boatyard is a bit of a general scrap dealer as well, and when discussing these engines the non marinised versions are common in little tractors and streetsweeping machines, and normally sell in second hand working order for £100 per cylinder - if the present engine has the right marinising parts a lucky fella could do well!

just a thought

paul

The engine may be a bargain, but judging from the conversation so far the bill for the boat mechanic to do the work won't be

Richard

If you can see the crack and its accessable, a big if. Then it may be weldable. I've managed to do this before (On a XJ6 engine). Mostly its the water jacket has been frozen that causes cracked engine block, and this will happen at the point of least resistance. Cast iron blocks are a problem to weld, but not impossible. Ali blocks can be welded easier. Either way you'll need to know a very good welder :)

If you can see the crack and its accessable, a big if. Then it may be weldable. I've managed to do this before (On a XJ6 engine). Mostly its the water jacket has been frozen that causes cracked engine block, and this will happen at the point of least resistance. Cast iron blocks are a problem to weld, but not impossible. Ali blocks can be welded easier. Either way you'll need to know a very good welder :)

I've done a lot of welding over the years. I'd rather stitch and weld an engine block in iron/steel than alloy. The problem with alloy is deciding what alloy compound was used. Ive repaired XJ6 heads though, as its usually corrosion problems.