Bridgewater Boat Builders.

Featured Posts

Ours was a flat bottom and I haven't seen one that isnt, if the hull is built by Bridgewater boatbuilders.

Best regards,

James

Thanks

Well we have organised the surveyor for next Friday :)

Mmmm wondering can I hold my breath fir that long :)

Sue x

Hi

We are hoping to have her survey next week & all being well smile.png

Then we are planning on having her bottom power washed, blacked & new anodes fitted & the lifted on to transport to take her to York, from there we will sail her to ripon:) smile.pngsmile.png

That's if we can organise the transport sad.png

This might seem like a stupid question but do you know if she has a flat bottom !

Sue x

Yes she has a (flat) base plate.

How do you know the anodes need changing if, she hasn't been lifted yet?

The company that does a lot of boat transport in this area is :

DCL Haulage Contractors

Stubbins Lane, Claughton-on-Brock, Preston, PR3 0QH

Are you having her lifted at Garstang Marina ?

Edited by Androo

Yes she has a (flat) base plate.

How do you know the anodes need changing if, she hasn't been lifted yet?

The company that does a lot of boat transport in this area is :

DCL Haulage Contractors

Stubbins Lane, Claughton-on-Brock, Preston, PR3 0QH

Are you having her lifted at Garstang Marina ?

Hi

Well to be honest :) we don't no if the anodes want changing we sort off thought iif we are getting her bottom blacked we might as well get the anodes done too sort of save money in the long run.

We are having her lift at bridge house, reason being when i phoned Garstang marina to arranged the lift they couldn't say until Tuesday if they could do it, as I wanted to book the survey we went with Bridgehouse marina.

I phoned DCL and asked for a price but they haven't got back to us, I will gave them another ring tomorrow, hopefully they will be able to do it at a reasonable price :)

Sue x

Hi

Well to be honest smile.png we don't no if the anodes want changing we sort off thought iif we are getting her bottom blacked we might as well get the anodes done too sort of save money in the long run.

Sue x

You will only save money if they do need changing. If they are fine then leave them. We bought our boat 5 yrs ago and have had two lift outs since and, the anodes are still OK. Due out again next year.

When you have the boat lifted at Bridgehouse go into the chandlery and ask for Graham or Ian. They will tell you if they need changing or not.

Even the surveyor will point this out or should if they need changing

Edited by Androo

You will only save money if they do need changing. If they are fine then leave them. We bought our boat 5 yrs ago and have had two lift outs since and, the anodes are still OK. Due out again next year.

When you have the boat lifted at Bridgehouse go into the chandlery and ask for Graham or Ian. They will tell you if they need changing or not.[/quote

Thanks for that :) all being good with the survey that's were we have booked the work to be done Bridgehouse, I arranged the work with Nigel ? Over the phone he seemed to be ok?

Have you had work done here !

[

Have you had work done here !

I always have my boat lifted at Bridgehouse because you have the chandlery right next to the hardstanding and it's more convenient

.If you need any welding done etc then contact:

Austin Walmsley Ltd

Unit 12 Leachfield Industrial Estate, Garstang, Preston, Lancashire, PR3 1PR

• Tel: 01995 602173

Saying that, if you do need anodes then I think Bridgehouse have a policy that only they can weld them on by (Ian). Any other welding can be done by Austin.

How did the survey go ?[/quote

Hi

The suvery went really well & the surveyor did a good job :) a couple of minor things but nothing to worry about :)

I Don't think it's sunk in yet pardon the pun that the boats is actual really ours :) :) well it will be when we pay for it

happy days x

How did the survey go ?[/quote

Hi

The suvery went really well & the surveyor did a good job :) a couple of minor things but nothing to worry about :)

I Don't think it's sunk in yet pardon the pun that the boats is actual really ours :) :) well it will be when we pay for it

happy days x

Congratulations are the order of the day thenclapping.gif

Thank u :)

Can't wait so excited I can not believe she's going to be ours :) & breath :)

The only things the surveyor said was her bottom had not been painted & needed to be painted then blacked, when he tested the hull it was 7mm in some / small areas, But nothing to worry about it was a solid boat & he also advised the engine to be serviced

Bridgehouse are doing the power wash & blacking the hull x3 coats & changing the anodes if needed.

We were are having the engine serviced as well by a mr sherwood don't no if you have heard of him ! the marina recommended him.

We are hoping to arrange the handover for next week then it will be hay ho on water we go x

Sue

The only things the surveyor said was her bottom had not been painted & needed to be painted then blacked, when he tested the hull it was 7mm in some / small areas, But nothing to worry about it was a solid boat & he also advised the engine to be serviced

About 1% of narrowboats' bases are painted/blacked, I think the surveyor was being unnecessarily picky to include it as a 'fault' with the boat. Of course, had it been painted, it might be thicker than 7mm etc. Don't expect to be able to negotiate any money off from mentioning this, and don't bother having it done (IMHO).

We were are having the engine serviced as well by a mr sherwood don't no if you have heard of him ! the marina recommended him.

When you say the bottom needs painting/blacking, it's usually blacking. In some instances people apply red oxide then bitumen.

Jeff Sherwood is the resident mechanic on site and he is OK. He's done work for me in the past.

. Of course, had it been painted, it might be thicker than 7mm etc. Don't expect to be able to negotiate any money off from mentioning this, and don't bother having it done (IMHO).

I believe paint thickness nowadays won't cover up a hulls thickness as it's all done with sonar readings now and, anyway when it wasn't they would scrap off the paint to test the hull thickness.

Like the old days when cars use to rust around the wheel arches people would pile them with filler then the cleaver buyer would go around them with a magnet to identify where filler had been applied.

And, why not negotiate? it's a buyers market...

I believe paint thickness nowadays won't cover up a hulls thickness as it's all done with sonar readings now and, anyway when it wasn't they would scrap off the paint to test the hull thickness.

Like the old days when cars use to rust around the wheel arches people would pile them with filler then the cleaver buyer would go around them with a magnet to identify where filler had been applied.

And, why not negotiate? it's a buyers market...

No I mean, had it been painted in the past and/or from new, then it might be say 9mm of metal thickness in the worst places, instead of 7mm

Thank you gents & girls

For all the help & especially for all the great advice we did listen & have taken it all aboard :)

Not sure if you realise how much you helped so once again thank you :) for the help & advice when we were deciding to buy our lovely little boat.

Sue x :-)

No I mean, had it been painted in the past and/or from new, then it might be say 9mm of metal thickness in the worst places, instead of 7mm

I presume you are talking about the base plate? as, the normal steel thicknesses used are 10/6/5/4 being Base plate/Hull sides/Superstructure/Roof

Thank you gents & girls

For all the help & especially for all the great advice we did listen & have taken it all aboard smile.png

Not sure if you realise how much you helped so once again thank you smile.png for the help & advice when we were deciding to buy our lovely little boat.

Sue x :-)

Glad the survey went well. Enjoy her now.

Hi all

Well guess what !!!! Classy lass has new owners :) :) other half Alan & me :) :)

Well it's been a busy couple days organising surveys, blacking, engine serviced transport etc, but dare I say we are on the home run.

She didn't need her anodes changing so that saved us a bit of money & we got a good quote from DCL transport:) (thanks to Androo )

Officially hand over will be on Friday & we have organised the transport for Monday/ Tuesday morning lift off at York were we are going to moor for a couple of days while we get familiar with her :)

Then it's on water we go :)

Sue x

Edited by Alan&sue

• 6 months later...

Hello all,

Nothing much to contribute but since this seems to be the Bridgewater Boat owners club I thought I would chip up. I'm on board 1996 Rochdale Pioneers, formerly Chatsworth. It's almost a year since I took delivery of her, crashed into the marina wall and by pure luck ended up in the right spot to fill the water up!

Anyway, it looks like there are some similarities between our boats from the little pictures. One day I might be bothered to put one up of my own if anyone is interested hah.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a very old thread. However, just for info..

Peter (I'm almost sure that was his first name, its many years ago, 80's last I spoke to him, so forgive me if anyone reading this, if the name is wrong), anyway.. Peter at Bridgewater used primarily Stan's shells out of Liverpool (Liverpool boats). I wasn't aware they built any shells at all at Bridgewater.

Some builders, well fitters of the period used Liverpool plus other shell builders, White etc.. and would buy, undressed shells, then finish them as their own build. This was a fairly common practise back then and doesn't detract from the fact they were good hulls.

However, Peter was upfront with his customers about Liverpool shells and told all his customers exactly where he got his hulls from.

Liverpool boats built very good solid 'honest' shell's, probably still do under another name.

That said, some more history.

Peter was an insurance salesman IIRC that turned to fitting narrowboats, possibly after owning one. Now IIRC, the way he died was tragic, a testiment to the person he was, dedicated to his business. He fell whilst working on the boats he had in the workroom, I seem to recall they did two at a time. He did damage to a knee/leg, not it seems a very serious injury. But the doctor advised he should keep his leg up for a period of time and not work.

Well as some of us know who are, or have been, self-employed, that luxury doesn't really apply. Peter went back to work almost straight away. A clot formed (I think owing to the leg injury) and he died from this to the brain (maybe heart), I seem to remember. Very sad and a great loss to his family and friends, who kept the business going, but under the pressure of the loss, didn't quite manage to keep it all together.

They had a livery Black/Cream IIRC, all boats were sold with that livery, I think. I'm sure he may have done other colours, but those colours were very much Bridgewater colours.

Bridgewater were good boats, built and fitted well and Peter was a very nice gentleman.

They did around 24'ish fitted boats per year IIRC, back when I knew of them.

Edited by 70liveaboard

6 hours ago, 70liveaboard said:

I know this is a very old thread. However, just for info..

Peter (I'm almost sure that was his first name, its many years ago, 80's last I spoke to him, so forgive me if anyone reading this, if the name is wrong), anyway.. Peter at Bridgewater used primarily Stan's shells out of Liverpool (Liverpool boats). I wasn't aware they built any shells at all at Bridgewater.

Some builders, well fitters of the period used Liverpool plus other shell builders, White etc.. and would buy, undressed shells, then finish them as their own build. This was a fairly common practise back then and doesn't detract from the fact they were good hulls.

However, Peter was upfront with his customers about Liverpool shells and told all his customers exactly where he got his hulls from.

Liverpool boats built very good solid 'honest' shell's, probably still do under another name.

That said, some more history.

Peter was an insurance salesman IIRC that turned to fitting narrowboats, possibly after owning one. Now IIRC, the way he died was tragic, a testiment to the person he was, dedicated to his business. He fell whilst working on the boats he had in the workroom, I seem to recall they did two at a time. He did damage to a knee/leg, not it seems a very serious injury. But the doctor advised he should keep his leg up for a period of time and not work.

Well as some of us know who are, or have been, self-employed, that luxury doesn't really apply. Peter went back to work almost straight away. A clot formed (I think owing to the leg injury) and he died from this to the brain (maybe heart), I seem to remember. Very sad and a great loss to his family and friends, who kept the business going, but under the pressure of the loss, didn't quite manage to keep it all together.

They had a livery Black/Cream IIRC, all boats were sold with that livery, I think. I'm sure he may have done other colours, but those colours were very much Bridgewater colours.

Bridgewater were good boats, built and fitted well and Peter was a very nice gentleman.

They did around 24'ish fitted boats per year IIRC, back when I knew of them.

There is one beside me at the moment, still black and cream