Ignorant Boaters...........

Deepinvet

Featured Posts

Are you STILL going on about this, Mr Mayall?

To paraphrase Wilde, this is a case of the unspeakable in pursuit of the irrepressible.

BOTH ways of opening a bridge are OK, though I suspect that the over-taking method will be slightly quicker.

I wouldn't argue that both ways are OK.

I would dispute that the overtaking method is faster, but it probably depends on how people work.

However, Phylis has claimed that my method is not just worse, but is unsafe, and has claimed that she has some PRETTY IMPRESSIVE evidence to support this.

Now, she can choose to withdraw that assertion, and accept that (as usual) she was talking crap about things she doesn't understand, and that it is a matter of personal preference. If she doesn't, I want to see this evidence.

I would dispute that the overtaking method is faster, but it probably depends on how people work.

However, Phylis has claimed that my method is not just worse, but is unsafe, and has claimed that she has some PRETTY IMPRESSIVE evidence to support this.

Now, she can choose to withdraw that assertion, and accept that (as usual) she was talking crap about things she doesn't understand, and that it is a matter of personal preference. If she doesn't, I want to see this evidence.

Get over it, Mr Mayall. This really isn't worth 14 posts.

And aim higher, if you want an argument. Shooting sitting ducks is not good sport.

The postie has indeed delivered, however due to a lack of coffee this morning the all important pieces of paper are still at home. Dont fret David dear, you will get your response soon.

Get over it, Mr Mayall. This really isn't worth 14 posts.

And aim higher, if you want an argument. Shooting sitting ducks is not good sport.

Au contraire, I'm finding it terribly good sport.

I continually marvel at the way in which Phylis, having lost an argument, will fail to accept that she has lost, and will dig an ever deeper hole.

The postie has indeed delivered, however due to a lack of coffee this morning the all important pieces of paper are still at home. Dont fret David dear, you will get your response soon.

"Please sir, I left my homework on the bus"

"Please sir, I left my homework on the bus"

Not quite. The coffee cupboard was bare which didnt set the day off well, then we completely forgot how much hassle it is to get the Sierra out of the garage. By the time we had finished pratting around we had to shoot off for work quickly or be late for work. :rolleyes:

Not quite. The coffee cupboard was bare which didnt set the day off well, then we completely forgot how much hassle it is to get the Sierra out of the garage. By the time we had finished pratting around we had to shoot off for work quickly or be late for work. :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm sure it was.

Curiously, despite our entire tea/coffee collection being decaff, despite getting up at 5:45, feeding the dogs, feeding the cats, emptying the dishwasher, making sure Bev was OK for the day, and setting off for work at 6:30, I managed to remember all the things that I needed for the day.

Need a little more time to selctively edit things do we?

Not at all. I will scan and post on here the document in its entirety.

Sadly our morning routine has become somewhat stretched out with the Datsun as our daily runner as it is just a case of turning the key and going.

The Sierra is somewhat more complex morning routine, involving unlocking the three garage door locks, removing the security post from the driveway, removing the disc lock, unchaining the rear diff and steering rack from the garage floor then coaxing the imobilliser to let the aging V6 srping into life. The we have to crawl it up the driveway which is just wide enough, try not to ground it at the top of the driveway and park on the road. We then have to lock up the garage, stick the post back in the drive, check the oil and water and hope it has enough petrol to get to work. :rolleyes:

involving unlocking the three garage door locks, removing the security post from the driveway, removing the disc lock, unchaining the rear diff and steering rack from the garage floor....

Are you worried that, if someone steals the garage, they won't take the Sierra with them?

Sadly our morning routine has become somewhat stretched out with the Datsun as our daily runner as it is just a case of turning the key and going.

The Sierra is somewhat more complex morning routine, involving unlocking the three garage door locks, removing the security post from the driveway, removing the disc lock, unchaining the rear diff and steering rack from the garage floor then coaxing the imobilliser to let the aging V6 srping into life. The we have to crawl it up the driveway which is just wide enough, try not to ground it at the top of the driveway and park on the road. We then have to lock up the garage, stick the post back in the drive, check the oil and water and hope it has enough petrol to get to work. :rolleyes:

All that security for an old banger? Leave it in the road, Phylis, and pray somebody steals it.

Seems a lot of hassle for a "pumped up shed"

All that security for an old banger? Leave it in the road, Phylis, and pray somebody steals it.

For reasons unknown to the civilised world these "old bangers" are becoming highly desirable again. Ten years ago when we bought ours we paid a reasonably high price for it at £595. Now they are fetching £4k to £5k for restored examples like ours. There is no accounting for taste but we would rather it stayed put than some light fingered little bar steward helping themselves too it.

We dont live in the most desirable area of Sheffield as it is anything that aint bolted down seems to grow legs and wander off. Im amazed the garage hasnt been nicked yet :rolleyes:

Seems a lot of hassle for a "pumped up shed"

"Pumped Up"?

ETA: If that should have read pimped up, there is nothing "pimped up" about it. It is pretty much how it came out of the factory back in 1985. The only changes from standard spec are the stereo (the 1985 Ford effort was really very poor), the ride height and the wheels. We have the standard Ford Pepperpot wheels at home but prefer the XR4x4 wheels it is currently sporting and we lowered it a couple of inches to help it stick to the road a little better (the original ride help just aided the back end in swinging arounf every time you faced it with a corner. :D )

Edited by Phylis

We dont live in the most desirable area of Sheffield as it is anything that aint bolted down seems to grow legs and wander off. Im amazed the garage hasnt been nicked yet :rolleyes:

ISTR that the garage looks even worse than the Sierra.

For reasons unknown to the civilised world these "old bangers" are becoming highly desirable again. Ten years ago when we bought ours we paid a reasonably high price for it at £595. Now they are fetching £4k to £5k for restored examples like ours. There is no accounting for taste but we would rather it stayed put than some light fingered little bar steward helping themselves too it.

"Pumped Up"?

ETA: If that should have read pimped up, there is nothing "pimped up" about it. It is pretty much how it came out of the factory back in 1985. The only changes from standard spec are the stereo (the 1985 Ford effort was really very poor), the ride height and the wheels. We have the standard Ford Pepperpot wheels at home but prefer the XR4x4 wheels it is currently sporting and we lowered it a couple of inches to help it stick to the road a little better (the original ride help just aided the back end in swinging arounf every time you faced it with a corner. :D )

No, that's right I did mean pumped up. Ie ford took a bag of shit and put a v6? In it thus making in a pumped up bag of shit. Basically the same as some little scrotum putting a big bore kit on a moped.

No, that's right I did mean pumped up. Ie ford took a bag of shit and put a v6? In it thus making in a pumped up bag of shit. Basically the same as some little scrotum putting a big bore kit on a moped.

Doesn't mince his words, the Cap'n. ;)

As Phylis says, the interest in these vehicles is inexplicable. A Mark III Cortina I could understand, almost, but a Sierra?

Doesn't mince his words, the Cap'n. ;)

As Phylis says, the interest in these vehicles is inexplicable. A Mark III Cortina I could understand, almost, but a Sierra?

Shouldn't that read Mark II? :cheers:

Iain

They did a few more things than that to it in the process. Although not everything went right the first time around. The very early XR4i's had little "ears" added to the rear to stop the tail end overtaking the front end at high speeds. Luckiy they sorted that before ours was made.

The rear fixed quarter windows, unique to the XR4i, have XR4 etched into them, not XR4i. Right up until the first cars were sold the intention had been to have them fitted with carbs. They then decided to install a bosch fuel injection system instead.

Interestingly the website "How Many Left" doesnt list too many as being on the road anymore 180 odd which may help to explain the sudden interest in them again.

Interestingly the website "How Many Left" doesnt list too many as being on the road anymore 180 odd which may help to explain the sudden interest in them again.

If there are only 180 left, it suggests that people have little interest in them.

Problem is, that it's a (sort-of) performance car with attendant high running costs, but none of the cachet that an older Alfa-Romeo, for instance, would have.

Give me a nice Bertone any day.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/583580,10910/1969-Alfa-Romeo-1750-GT-Veloce_photo.aspx

If there are only 180 left, it suggests that people have little interest in them.

Problem is, that it's a (sort-of) performance car with attendant high running costs, but none of the cachet that an older Alfa-Romeo, for instance, would have.

Give me a nice Bertone any day.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/583580,10910/1969-Alfa-Romeo-1750-GT-Veloce_photo.aspx

Its the same with most old cars. People realise they are all but gone then decide that they want one.The old Fiesta we gave away is suddenly becoming a desirable car again. :rolleyes:

Just going back to the original thread post lol, I am very new to boating, bought my first ever boat in June this year and absolutely love it as does my 9 yr old Daughter, anyway I had never driven a aboat ever but when I bought this I was lucky enough to be taught well enough the basics. My 'instructor' told me that you always keep to the right etc amongst other important stuff. On my very first outing dgown the River Trent I was confronted by a narrow boat coming the other way, so I kept to the right as I had been told and the nb just kept coming over towards me forcing me in the weeds!!!! I mean how wide is the River Trent!????????? I got stuck as I had nowhere else to go, unless I had cut him up and gone on his left then I could of avoided this. My daughter was crying I was in a panick but managed to get us both out after about 15 mins of struggling. The bloke who was steering the nb didnt even look at us let alone acknowleged us or even turn round to come and help us, maybe that was due to the fact that I was in a cabin crusier and thought he was above me and owned the entire river!!!!!!!

I reported this when I got back to the owner of the marina and he said that I should of took his boat number and that I still did the right thing by staying on the right.

I am learning new rules every time I take my boat out and have never come across a pig ignorant git like him since, everyone has been so helpful but like some of you have said you'll always get one!!

Sorry to have a moan for my very first post lol but we all have to start somewhere and like I said everybody I have met on the water have really been such a help to me, albiet through the locks, how to moor up, where to/not to moor up etc.

Regards

Rachel and :cheers:

Just going back to the original thread post lol, I am very new to boating, bought my first ever boat in June this year and absolutely love it as does my 9 yr old Daughter, anyway I had never driven a aboat ever but when I bought this I was lucky enough to be taught well enough the basics. My 'instructor' told me that you always keep to the right etc amongst other important stuff. On my very first outing dgown the River Trent I was confronted by a narrow boat coming the other way, so I kept to the right as I had been told and the nb just kept coming over towards me forcing me in the weeds!!!! I mean how wide is the River Trent!????????? I got stuck as I had nowhere else to go, unless I had cut him up and gone on his left then I could of avoided this. My daughter was crying I was in a panick but managed to get us both out after about 15 mins of struggling. The bloke who was steering the nb didnt even look at us let alone acknowleged us or even turn round to come and help us, maybe that was due to the fact that I was in a cabin crusier and thought he was above me and owned the entire river!!!!!!!

I reported this when I got back to the owner of the marina and he said that I should of took his boat number and that I still did the right thing by staying on the right.

I am learning new rules every time I take my boat out and have never come across a pig ignorant git like him since, everyone has been so helpful but like some of you have said you'll always get one!!

Sorry to have a moan for my very first post lol but we all have to start somewhere and like I said everybody I have met on the water have really been such a help to me, albiet through the locks, how to moor up, where to/not to moor up etc.

Regards

Rachel and :cheers:

Sorry to hear about the trauma of your first trip. I think you were unfortunate that it was someone in a narrow boat who effectively "forced you off the road" - to be honest it could have been an equally ignorant cruiser driver (I have a cruiser by the way).

Initially, I tried to be a good boater and do everything right and by the rules. I still do, but with one modification....if someone is putting me in danger then stuff em - me, my crew and my boat are my first priority. If someone was on my side of the river for no good reason then rather than run aground in the shallows I'd cut across their bows and challenge their parentage. If someone wants my river then they should damn well signal their requirement for me pass in front of them and be able to explain why other than "couldn't be arsed to move the tiller".

That said, I understand there are shifting mud banks and shallows on the trent and maybe he was sticking to his charts?? Could've been nicer about it though.

Jez

Sorry to hear about the trauma of your first trip. I think you were unfortunate that it was someone in a narrow boat who effectively "forced you off the road" - to be honest it could have been an equally ignorant cruiser driver (I have a cruiser by the way).

Initially, I tried to be a good boater and do everything right and by the rules. I still do, but with one modification....if someone is putting me in danger then stuff em - me, my crew and my boat are my first priority. If someone was on my side of the river for no good reason then rather than run aground in the shallows I'd cut across their bows and challenge their parentage. If someone wants my river then they should damn well signal their requirement for me pass in front of them and be able to explain why other than "couldn't be arsed to move the tiller".

That said, I understand there are shifting mud banks and shallows on the trent and maybe he was sticking to his charts?? Could've been nicer about it though.

Jez

There are shallows on the Trent but the channel is easily wide enough to accomodate two boats easily without the need to force one right into the edge.