Need advice from Plods

Picard

Featured Posts

Good job your cat wasnt lost in Harlem.

I guess we'd have made a lot of friends ;)

It could be argued (and I'm going to) that as the word "Nigger" has connotations today that it didn't have in the 1940s, keeping it in implies a prejudice that isn't historically accurate. By changing the dog's name, you've retained the spirit and nature of the original events, but not the pin-point accuracy of dialogue. Which you didn't have anyway.

A good point, well made. :)

Mohammed Ali 1966: "I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong. No Vietcong ever called me Nigger"

The film is about the bombing raid not about the hypocrisy and racism of 1940s Britain. in the 1940s most British people had never seen a black person, there were only about 20,000 black British people at that time. the country was ignorant of race issues, something which caused disagreements with the US military and their racial segregation. despite trying to stop black americans coming to Britain the UK Government allowed US racist rules to be brought over to the UK, what Black British soldiers thought of this i dont know. Britain was split between being scared of black men and disgusted by racist laws from the US. So we had vicars wives telling white women to avoid black men and to leave a shop or cross the road to avoid them and news papers telling black americans that 'Any coloured soldier who reads this may rest assured that there is no colour bar in this country and that he is as welcome as any other Allied soldier. He will find that the vast majority of people here have nothing but repugnance for the narrow-minded, uninformed prejudices expressed by the vicar's wife. There is – and will be – no persecution of coloured people in Britain.'

In 1944 some in the Royal Navy had this attitude: Although the black soldiers are a very useful addition to our war effort, their presence certainly raises a problem. So that there can be no friction in the manner of dealing with them, I want your standards to conform as near as possible to those of our American Allies. In the States they are separated from white men. The American regards a Negro as a child and not the equal of the white races. Please conform to that idea.

Like I say the film is not about that, the film is about the Dambusters raid.

Mohammed Ali 1966: "I ain't got no quarrel with the Vietcong. No Vietcong ever called me Nigger"

The film is about the bombing raid not about the hypocrisy and racism of 1940s Britain.

To an extent, I can accept that argument.

However, the importance of the word being used is that it was NOT used with any racist overtones. The fact that in 1944 it was just a word, and that its use emphasises the concept of the past as a foreign country.

Jesus H F***** Christ, I apologise for useing the word "Plod", I apologise for asking a simple question, I apologise for being a member of this forum, for Gods sake all of you, grow up.

Don't apologise. It's absurd.

Coppers should develop a thicker skin if they're that sensitive. The poor little lambs.

There we go again, the boys in blue( or maybe black with flourescent yellow hi vis waistcoats), turn up after the fight to provide advice......does Picard get a victim support leaflet? :-)

The only thing I've ever got is leaflets and abuse. Oh and them knocking on my boat three days in a row to ask me the same question and write down my name+number (presumably so they didn't have to ask me again - the muppets)

To an extent, I can accept that argument.

However, the importance of the word being used is that it was NOT used with any racist overtones. The fact that in 1944 it was just a word, and that its use emphasises the concept of the past as a foreign country.

Do you not think there is an hypocrisy. about not using the historically correct word?

Bit like coming on here and using 'tw@t' - everybody knows what word was really meant - so why not just say it?

typo ed

Edited by MJG

Guest wanted

But that quote clearly states that (In Mr Fowler's opinion) it's not an insult if used to describe someone who is a full or partial negroe [sic].

I'm pretty confident that it wasn't considered an insulting word until some time in the late sixties - and that the move to make the word 'offensive' originated in the US.

I was using the quote to highlight that the word nigger was muted as offensive before 1943, the fact that in entimology terms 20 years isn't that long I am willing to go along with the notion that the word wasn't being used to cause offense. Although I suspect there is evidence out there to suggest otherwise.

Tony

Do you not think there is an hypocrisy. about not using the historically correct word?

Bit like coming on here and using 'tw@t' - everybody knows what word was really meant - so why not just say it?

typo ed

Yes, there is.

Clearly in any dramatisation, there will be an editing of the facts to construct a coherent narrative, but let that editing not be done in order to play to the PC agenda.

:smiley_offtopic: but nver the less sort of related -

This is a pic of my daughters black lab...just had him out for a walk today.

Spitting image of a certain pooch....

Alfie-2.jpg

He's called Alfie BTW should anybody be wondering.

He's called Alfie BTW should anybody be wondering.

From the Urban dictionary:

Alfie

scum of the earth, cannot get a job and has to resort to potwashing at a lowly hotel, demoralising!!

also is nesh, as shadows scare the shit out of him, literally

as a result often walks around with large brown stains in his undercrackers.

From the Urban dictionary:

It was after Alfie Moon in Eastenders (don't ask :rolleyes: ) - so yes I guess it sort of fits.

It's taken on Saltburn beach BTW - did you ever venture back up this way??

It's taken on Saltburn beach BTW - did you ever venture back up this way??

Not lately.

I believe we are supposed to be heading oop north again, these holidays but, as I'm hoping to buy a boat, tonight, I may have scuppered those plans.

Not lately.

I believe we are supposed to be heading oop north again, these holidays but, as I'm hoping to buy a boat, tonight, I may have scuppered those plans.

Good call. The north is populated solely with whores and footballers.

Morning ! What a thread !

Ok, ex Plod here ...... I take no offence to that term, and it is a term that Police use to describe police ! Ministry of Defence Police are simply known as MOD PLOD for example.

I witnessed a road crash involving a cyclist and a van early one morning. Having examined the casualty, I called for an ambulance and as an afterthought, asked the control room to notify plod too. When the services arrived, I handed the casualty over to the paramedics and was then asked by a policewoman if I would give a statement. Agreeing to this, I was ushered into the rear seat of a police car....... where I was left alone for half an hour! It was only after I had given the statement that it was suggested that the term "plod" was not much appreciated. Until then, the penny hadn't dropped! :blush:

That's the North West.

There are no footballers of note, in the North East.

Damn. You were supposed to reply "Oi, my wife/girlfriend/mother is from up north". To which I reply, "really, who does she play for?".

Simple things. It's a slow day.

Damn. You were supposed to reply "Oi, my wife/girlfriend/mother is from up north". To which I reply, "really, who does she play for?".

Simple things. It's a slow day.

Swmbo is from Lincolnshire, which doesn't count...Same world, different planet.

That's the North West.

There are no footballers of note, in the North East.

Sadly - currently I will have to let you have that one....

However -

Wilf

WA1910338.jpg

was pretty good.

Some time ago...