The Great Thames rip off

jenlyn

Featured Posts

The cost of multiple short stays on the Thames does to some degree cause me to think twice about a visit to the K&A, (or perhaps even the Wey).

Allthough not published anywhere on the EA site for the last two years there has been a "transit" licence available to the River Wey from Teddington.

Cost is £10 each way for any size of boat.

Thats great for us on the barge cos otherwise its £50 a day.....

Yes, I understand that.

No big issue, but my point is that 15 days is usually less cost than 4 individual days, not only a little more than.....

We agree that day licences only make sense for a very short stay.

There must be many people who do a one way passage from Oxford to the tidal bit, in anywhere between about 5 days and a week who would prefer a slightly cheaper "one week" licence to a "15 day" one, but I'm sure those who dream up what licences to offer must know that.

The cost of multiple short stays on the Thames does to some degree cause me to think twice about a visit to the K&A, (or perhaps even the Wey).

I agree - a week licence would be useful.

John

Unless it has changed, even that sounds wrong to me.

I think even at 4 days, it is cheaper to buy a 15 day licence, than to buy 4 individual day ones, (although you might be able to use the fact that your first "day" can be longer than a day to some advantage.

If you know you will be there anywhere between 4 and 15 days, I think the 15 day license is the way to go.

We have not been on the Thames for a few years, but I seem to remember that there were several restrictiions on the type of licence you could purchase. For example the fifteen day licence had to be used in one session which was of no use if we were using the Thames as a transit route from the K&A to Oxford or Brentford at both ends of the summer.

Even though we were entering the Thames at nearly 5pm and mooring in Reading overnight before proceeding, we had to buy a licence for that whole day, so we bought three one day licences, which meant that we could only buy aditional one day licences in that year. Consequently we usually had to purchase two batches of one day licences in a year if we were returning to the K&A to overwinter, which cost far more than a fifteen day licence.

Edited by David Schweizer

At Maidenhead this morning. It seems the lockie I spoke to was a part timer (lesson learnt). I am not interested in the price of a pint, am not one for pubs, the boat is well stocked from 3 for 20 quid from tescos. Tho I will stop at the bounty for the weekend. Got diesel for £1.13 at Windsor Marina (60/40) 38 litres from Watford to Windsor (not bad for a fat widebeam eh?). Stopped at mooring in Maidenhead where some oik told me it would be eight quid for the night, so moved on to the free ones below boulters lock. I still think £176 is expensive for a two week jaunt on the Thames, and a lesson learnt (gold license next year!). I saw ya Blackrose! Didn't realise you were shy, lol.

Its not a ripoff, just done it, another excellent trip..Licence was £109. Pumpout £10.50 , water free and fast, diesel would of been £1.05 but didn't need any. Lockie told us which locks had rubbish points. No mooring charges except one...Henley at the carpark machine for £9 for 24h - but there was some sort of festival/regatta on, excellent

Edited by Evo

Its not a ripoff, just done it, another excellent trip..Licence was £109. Pumpout £10.50 , water free and fast, diesel would of been £1.05 but didn't need any. Lockie told us which locks had rubbish points. No mooring charges except one...Henley at the carpark machine for £9 for 24h - but there was some sort of festival/regatta on, excellent

:lol:

We have not been on the Thames for a few years, but I seem to remember that there were several restrictiions on the type of licence you could purchase. For example the fifteen day licence had to be used in one session which was of no use if we were using the Thames as a transit route from the K&A to Oxford or Brentford at both ends of the summer.

Even though we were entering the Thames at nearly 5pm and mooring in Reading overnight before proceeding, we had to buy a licence for that whole day, so we bought three one day licences, which meant that we could only buy aditional one day licences in that year. Consequently we usually had to purchase two batches of one day licences in a year if we were returning to the K&A to overwinter, which cost far more than a fifteen day licence.

This has now altered you can buy the licences in any combination. The Thames is my favourite waterway especially in the autumn. The colours of the leaves are breathtaking.

Sue

We cruised the Thames from Oxford to Teddington , then in at Brentford , thru Limehouse & back down the GU last yr , If I remember the cut off point was 3 days was cheaper than a 15 day licence , but we didnt think we could make it in time even with our long day regime.

We came thru the first lock (Days Lock?) and enquired about a licence - Only to be told sorry mate try the next one - At Goring we obtained a 15 day licence with the lockie surprised we had not been able to buy one at Days (Maybe the kettle was boiling?)

Seem to recall it was about the £80 mark for a 15 day licence for a 37ft NB. Yes expensive compared to BW but we had a great time, Free moorings were scarce (We had 2 one at Beale park & 1 by the road above Shepperton lock) In fairness if we had risen 15 minutes earlier we would have avoided paying for any moorings ! Yes , sanitary stations & water & fuel are far more scarce than on the cut , but with a little thought no problems. I would go back tomorrow !

In the way back , we had to take a detour up the Northampton arm of the GU for Diesel as Blisworth ran out after selling me 20 lts , Whilst fueling I inquired about the cost of a EA Nene licence - dearer than the Thames !!!

If you are a regular long term cruiser (not necessarily a CC) a Gold licence has got to be the best bet .

Our Thames licence was still valid when we returned home to Syston !

We cruised the Thames from Oxford to Teddington , then in at Brentford , thru Limehouse & back down the GU last yr , If I remember the cut off point was 3 days was cheaper than a 15 day licence , but we didnt think we could make it in time even with our long day regime.

We came thru the first lock (Days Lock?) and enquired about a licence - Only to be told sorry mate try the next one - At Goring we obtained a 15 day licence with the lockie surprised we had not been able to buy one at Days (Maybe the kettle was boiling?)

Seem to recall it was about the £80 mark for a 15 day licence for a 37ft NB. Yes expensive compared to BW but we had a great time, Free moorings were scarce (We had 2 one at Beale park & 1 by the road above Shepperton lock) In fairness if we had risen 15 minutes earlier we would have avoided paying for any moorings ! Yes , sanitary stations & water & fuel are far more scarce than on the cut , but with a little thought no problems. I would go back tomorrow !

In the way back , we had to take a detour up the Northampton arm of the GU for Diesel as Blisworth ran out after selling me 20 lts , Whilst fueling I inquired about the cost of a EA Nene licence - dearer than the Thames !!!

If you are a regular long term cruiser (not necessarily a CC) a Gold licence has got to be the best bet .

Our Thames licence was still valid when we returned home to Syston !

As I have said on a previous thread, we had problems paying for a licence on the Thames. Most of the lockeepers can't accept cards. Cash or cheque only. I knew we wouldn't get through Teddington without paying so there were no real problems.

Sue

As I have said on a previous thread, we had problems paying for a licence on the Thames. Most of the lockeepers can't accept cards. Cash or cheque only. I knew we wouldn't get through Teddington without paying so there were no real problems.

Sue

That may be true - We paid by Cheque

Sue

We have made card payments at Teddington, King's and Eynsham Locks with no problem at all - they were fully geared up for plastic, with machines.

So, at least in respect of the locks you hit when entering the Thames from elsewhere, I'm not sure the "most of the lock-keepers" thing is correct now, even if it was once.

(Obviously there are some candidate locks we have not tried, but I can't see why the should be any different ?).

One thing strikes me for sure -- it's a much nicer river on weekdays than weekends or bank holidays. Pretty much had the locks to ourselves a couple of weeks back. Don't miss the fretting of the plastic boaties one little bit ! For my money, Oxford - Lechlade is the best part by some margin.

Mike.

One thing strikes me for sure -- it's a much nicer river on weekdays than weekends or bank holidays. Pretty much had the locks to ourselves a couple of weeks back. Don't miss the fretting of the plastic boaties one little bit ! For my money, Oxford - Lechlade is the best part by some margin.

Mike.

Just to be contrary, Oxford to Windsor is the best part. Just the way the river weaves through and alongside the Chiltern Hills makes it spectacular. I would vote the National Trust moorings at Cliveden possibly one of the best in the country for peace, quiet and beautiful scenery.

On the subject of the thames - I'll be using it as a link from the grand union at brentford upstream to the oxford canal isis lock this summer. I have the anchor and the anchor light but not the life jacket.

Is it compulsory to have the life jackets?

Ken

On the subject of the thames - I'll be using it as a link from the grand union at brentford upstream to the oxford canal isis lock this summer. I have the anchor and the anchor light but not the life jacket.

Ken

Not compulsory but advisable. Some may disagree.

Ken

Anchor light? What is that?

John

Something you will need if you anchor in the Thames overnight.

Yes it is legal to do so provided you are out of the main fairway.

Is it just an all round white light you put on top of the boat?

This sort of thing?

http://www.force4.co.uk/968/Force-4-Utility-Anchor-Light.html

Edit: Cheaper but still expensive http://www.piplers.co.uk/2169/Piplers-Automatic-Utility-or-Anchor-Light.html?referrer=froogle++&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid2169

This one looks better http://www.boatlamps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d80.html

Ken

If you don't want the expense of lifejackets then many people do Brentford to Teddington (just over an hour) and upstream on the non-tidal Thames without them. I don't think I'd go downstream from Brentford without a lifejacket though.

Edited by blackrose

Have to admit we never had life jackets.. :blush: As we went out of Limehouse the lockie said "No life jackets..??"...Mother-in-law replied "No, I dont want one"...to which he said "Fair enough".

Have to admit we never had life jackets.. :blush: As we went out of Limehouse the lockie said "No life jackets..??"...Mother-in-law replied "No, I dont want one"...to which he said "Fair enough".

I did Brentford to Limehouse without lifejackets once, but I realised it was a bit silly not having them and went out and bought 3 for 50 quid each for subsequent trips. Of course it's up to each individual to decide their safety requirements, but you do look a bit out of place without a lifejacket on the tidal Thames and when you see the strength of the tide and the expanse of water you actually feel a bit smaller without one!

Its a great trip isnt it !

Even tho my wife was scared stiff until we past battersea (We had a fairly windy trip) she said she would like to repeat in the cruiser , but speaking to other cruiser owners I suspect that the river captains are not as forgiving to GRP craft (Talk of waves over the roof ect!) The ferries & rubbish barges were very well behaved on our trip last yr & it will staly in my memories a very long time !